UK sources of information and / or support
See also the Patient UK stoma page.
To help people who have to undergo surgery which involves the removal of their colon (colectomy) and the creation of either an ileostomy or an ileo-anal pouch.
A support group for people who have had colo-rectal surgery or reconstructive pouch surgery. Meetings held at Ninewells Hospital Dundee, Tayside.
Information from Cambridge University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust.
Information from NHS Choices - the government's patient information portal.
Further sources / more detailed information
Some non-UK sites
The following list popular non-UK health information sites with content aimed at the general public. They are mainly from the US. They have not been checked to see if information about the above topic is included but these large sites are comprehensive.
More detailed medical information
The following list online sources of more detailed medical information, mainly from the UK. These sites are mainly aimed at health professionals, but are of interest to all. They have not been checked to see if information about the above topic is included, but information about most medical topics can usually be found.
- PatientPlus - hundreds of medical reference articles provided by Patient UK.
- Evidence Based Medicine - such as from Clinical Evidence, The Cochrane Library, etc.
- Database of UK Clinical Guidelines - from NICE, SIGN, etc.
- Medline - abstracts available from thousands of journals.
- Sites listing free online medical textbooks and journals.
- Sites listing free medical images - pictures, atlases, anatomy, skin diseases, etc.