"Becoming diabetic,,,"

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi there, anyone out there who can offer advice? I received this evening a letter from my GP following some blood test results. Of course receiving it on a Friday evening means I have no one to discuss my anxieties with until Monday - nothing like ruining your weekend! First of all. I have never experienced any symptoms of diabetes and was only ever tested for it in pregnancy with my son 9 years ago - all normal then. However, I have had gynaecological problems in the last 3 years. This resulted in me having a Total Abdominal Hysterectomy last November. I had a massive fibroid removed as well as uterus and cervix. It was a complicated op that took nearly six hours and involved a blood transfusion. Post op I was on iron tablets (not surprising considering my blood loss) but about 5 weeks on suffered terribly with fatigue. GP decided to blanket test for everything - thyroid, iron and glucose. As a result I was recalled to do a fasting glucose test. This came back slightly above normal so I was asked to retest. My gynaecologist, however, told me to wait a while as he suspected my blood had not fully stabilised. So beginning of April I retested and did Cholesterol at the same time. 

My my letter today says my results "show that you are becoming diabetic". This was a shock as I was expecting everything to have settled since January (my last test). What does this mean. Is it 'prediabetes' or is it saying I an so close to it I can't prevent it?

i was on 'prostap' hormonal injections for 5 months for my fibroid. The aim was to reduce it pre-op - in the end the drug didn't touch it - too big. I have read that this drug in fact increases your risk if diabetes. Has anyone else had it before getting diabetes? Upsetting to think I took it for nothing and now it my have made me diabetic!! I can't be sure it's that of course but I no longer have fatigue, never had thirst or need for frequent urination. Any help any advice? I would be so grateful.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Yes Sally, they are saying that you are or are becoming pre-diabetic.

I have diabetes type 2 and I take an oral medication for it.

If you are either pre-diabetic or full-blown diabetic you will at some time soon be meeting the diabetes nurse.

She may be a full-time member of your surgery or someone who shares her time between a hospital and several surgeries, depending upon you live.

The nurse will run through the simple facts about diabetes with you and encourage you to alter you diet in such a way as to minimise the effect of the diabetes on your body.

Diabetes is a life-long condition which can be treated by diet and exercise, through oral mediations (of which there an many available), and sometimes but not often in the case of type 2 by injections which you will control yourself.

The important point for you to realise is that if you are going at some stage to become a full-blown diabetic like me, then it is not the end of the world.

Yes, some adjustments will have to be made to your lifestyle and maybe the types of food you eat but in the long run there is usually nothing too drastic that you won't be able to cope with.

• Posted

How typical of the surgery to send you a letter arriving on a Friday. My husband has an ongoing serious illness that invariably flares up on a Friday evening or Saturday!

The letter wording you mention sounds like pre diabetes. Had it been full blown T2 I think it would have said you ARE diabetic. I assume you will have had an A1c blood test too amongst all the others this will show the trend too. 

I am of the understanding that pre diabetes means you have the opportunity to reduce the risk of full blow T2 by diet and exercise. Wishing you luck and a not too anxious weekend !

• Posted

Thanks Jane. That is useful to know. I'm hoping I can get on top of things quite quickly but I am interested to see hormone problems and diabetes seem to be linked. If anyone know any useful links about this I would be greatful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.