"Record Year For Hips"

Posted , 4 users are following.

An article in The Times today saying that it is a record year for hip replacements according to a report from the National Joint Registry. 

4 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I am not surprised. It has been an 8 moth wait for me to have my second hip done and I kept getting told all the beds are full and that was on two wards with 30 beds on each.
  • Posted

90,000 new hips last year, and resurfacing -type hips account for 1% down from 10% in 2003. It also says that the results of HR are among the best of all surgical procedures, and in terms of patient satisfaction, pipped only by cataract surgery.

the article is written by Dr Mark Porter who I think used to be on TV.

• Posted

I wonder why, are not our generation the post war baby boom, I remember them having to put extra classrooms on the football field, or what was the football field to accomodate all the extra children. We are now the THR boom as we start aging. I can see it and I am sure many of us can it seems the politicans have no idea. The next boom will be the requirment for extra beds in nursing homes, for a short time anyway,  then requiring funeral services. At some point in the future we are such a huge blip in the population you had better guess right, when and where, as it is going to come to and end.
    • Posted

And now they're putting up the state retirement age - but our generation are not as fit as the previous one, they went through great hardships in the war years, so they were fitter in their old age.

People from the baby boom will be in hospital or off on long-term sick long before they retire.

Regards

Graham

• Posted

To quote one website ......

For many years, the state pension age for men was 65 and the state pension age for women was 60. But from 2020, both men and women's state pension age will be 66, increasing to 67 between 2026 and 2028, and then linked to life expectancy after that. 

The government will then review the state pension age every five years. 

This will see those in their early 20s now have to wait until they're at least 70 before they can take their state pension.

I have managed to sneak it with 65 still, but my wife who is 5 months younger had to wait until she was 62yrs, 9 months. sad

I can however take my work pension right now, so I may retire early, possibly next year. cheesygrin

Regards

Graham

• Posted

Hi Graham,

I just put the direct link in, let me know if it isn't the correct one. Links are fine to sites like this so you don't need to type google searches etc but they will need moderation.

Regards,

Alan

• Posted

My wife was most upset - I even got my bus pass a year before she did.

As she said, she has paid in her taxes and NI all since leaving secondary school, with an expectation that she would retire at 60. To move the goalposts just before she got there was cruel.

Her argument was that those who take advantage of university, where they are not paying NI or tax, should perhaps have an extended retirement age, but not anyone working as long as she had.

I think people will soon be dying off before taking their pensions.

Regards

Graham

• Posted

Same here in Australia, PM did a speech in parliament and said something about all being in it together, Yeahh right, he was at university unitl about 22, various friends of ours were doing apprenticeship bricklayers courses by the time they were 15.  Like to compare wear and tear on PM bones compared to brickies bones.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.