% risk of fracture on bone density result

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have not noticed many mentioning this on their bone density scan and wondered what other people's assessed risk is like if they have been diagnosed with osteoporosis.  I guess this is all the questions that they ask you about smoking/drinking/if a parent had a fracture etc etc, all fed into a computer and the % risk comes out?

Anyway, I got 2 scores of 3.2 bone density which was a bit of a shock (plus one of osteopenia), along with a 15% risk of fracture within 10 years. How does that compare with others if you want to share? Not had a fracture so far thankfully.

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello I had a wedge fracture of my lumber spine 9 months ago. The first fracture I have ever had.  I am 72 and after having a bone density scan after the fracture, I was never given a score, but was told I was 34% very high risk of more fractures. You are the first person who I have seen mention a % risk.  It would be interesting to know if anyone else has been given a % risk factor, I wish you well and hope that you do not suffer a fracture in the future.
  • Posted

Hello Brenda. I am sorry to hear about your fracture of your spine. Are you receiving an treatment for prevention in the future? It does seem that my spine is one thing at risk re bone density but I am hoping that some extra supplements and new weight bearing exercise will reduce my risk. I am just 64. I am planning to pay for a private scan in 2 years time to see if the measures I put in place in that time make any difference.

With regard to your bone density report results. This will have gone to your GP. It may be that she did not understand the other specific results re the 3 figures that they measure  which is called the T score,  (as I suspect my GP doesn't) and so didn't read them to you. You can get a copy of it if you ask at the surgery - they will print one off for you, though you may just have to pay a small amount for the copy costs. I ask for copies of all my test results. I guess some people don't want to know, but I am inquisitive to know all the gory details!

They look at the T score to see if you have osteoporosis, and then they also do a risk factor for further fractures, by asking you this list of questions. If I had a fracture then my score would also go up for further risk.

• Posted

Hello Mermaid, yes you're right, my GP had no idea what a T score is. As for treatment I didn't want to take bisphosphonates but as I was very high risk I had no option. The weekly pill of Alendronic acid which I was given initially had horrible side effects so after some discussion I was given the yearly infusion of Zoledronic acid, which I had in October.   I know weight bearing exercises are good and walking to strengthen the bones which I would love to do, but unfortunately I am still in some pain and cannot walk very far.  I am hoping I will soon be able to do more.  I will certainly see my GP and ask for a copy of my bone density scan results.  Thank you for your help. I do hope the supplements and exercises will work for you. I have read of many people having great results doing this.  Good luck   Brenda

• Posted

Yes, Brenda, it's all a bit of a difficult conundrum and I can see that the % risk factor does guide people towards the bisphosphonate.

I also sympathise re the issue of pain, as I embarked this week on trying to do more weighbearing at the same time as reducing my thyroid meds (as the endocrinologist felt I had overdosed). Result - pain! Previously on higher dose - no pain and able to do more! I have actually reduced already, so I may have to compromise in order to stay active, and not reduce further.

Good luck re getting your scan result. You should really only need to ask the receptionist for a printout with luck.

• Posted

Hello, yes I too was told my risk of fracture. The doctor was very serious when he said it is 25% over the next ten years. I wonder what my risk would be WITHOUT osteoporosis as I am 73 years old and as we age  we can possibly get a little tottery.   I am not at that stage thank goodness and will do my best to stay firm on my feet even tho I broke my wrist a couple of years ago in a clumsy trip over a door step. It seems particularly in my case that due care and attention is required to avoid as much as possible any possible slip ups - regardless of the osteoporosis.
    • Posted

If it's any comfort to you Valerie, my mother is 95 and has never had a bone density test done, but I can tell from her symptoms and loss of height that she does have osteoporosis, in her spine definitely and has probably had it for many years, as she was quite sedentary, and would not have been taking Vit D3. She tripped and broke her wrist about 6 years ago, but since then has been very careful and never broken anything else as yet. Interestingly, when they assess your risk they only seemed to ask me if a parent had broken a hip, not any other area.

• Posted

Just to add to my previous comments - I am -2.8 osteoporosis and have been offered yearly injections having failed miserably with the weekly treatment as it did not agree with me. I did not take up this offer because I have serious teeth and jaw problems and having read other people's comments and advice on a way forward I am trying to go 'au naturel'!! by eating really healthily, (grass fed cows cheese, vit K2 et, nuts and avocados) as well as load bearing exercise.  I have a 2 yearly dexa scan.  I  discussed my current thinking with my doctor who is really supportive. He is monitoring my Vit D and calcium levels.  Just hoping I am not missing a trick by doing this - but have to say it feels good to try and fight it.

• Posted

Good for you!  Eat healthy as well as adding those good things you are already consuming.  I think I read somewhere that sugary drinks are not good for our bones.  Your -2.8 is only just into the rather arbitrarily chosen line of -2.5 selected by the World Health Organization so hopefully you will do well!
    • Posted

Thank you Anhaga.  I don't think I have ever had a sugary drink i.e coca cola and the like as they are not good for one anyway. You always speak a true word on these matters and  I always follow your postings as feel I have learnt a lot from them.

• Posted

Hi. Good to hear your post.  I was diagnosed with osteoporosis 3 weeks ago - since having osteopenia for 17 years.  Quite a shock to find out I had made that step up.  I have been having dexa scans every 2 years and there was no mention 2 years ago that I was slipping into osteoporosis. Disappointed really.  Just a phone call every time after the dexa to say that I was still in the osteopenia bracket but never any tscore revealed.  I didnt even know I had a tscore until my gp phoned to say I was now -2.7 and therefore osteoporotic.  

Anyhow, to answer your question and for others.  There is a calculation tool - see https://patient.info/doctor/fraxr-who-fracture-risk-assessment-tool  You can put your DEXA readings and some personal info and it gives you your 10 year probability of fracture.   My major osteoporotic risk is 9.1% and my hip fracture risk is 2.8%.

Where you are asked if you have secondary osteoporosis - bear in mind that if you have had an early menopause (pre 45) then you should answer - yes.  There are guidance notes for the questions so do please read them to get an accurate result.

I am a very logical person and found this more scientific approach very useful.

I have been prescribed a bisphosonate and have taken 3 tablets now but am going to stop after doing this FRAX test.  Once you get your percentages from the FRAX you can then click the NOGG guidance  button.  It seems for me that even being in the osteoporosis bracket that the guidance is not to intervene with drugs just yet.

Anyhow, NEVER, start bisophonates without your gp first giving you a blood test for calcium and vitamin D.  All the bisophonates in the world will not increase your bone density if you have low levels of these ... and your low bone density could be fixed by looking at this problem rather than bisophonates.

I feel I now know more about this condition than my GP - who just told me over the phone that I had it and that there was a presciption waiting for me.

Also, I have just moved areas and my latest DEXA reading was on a different machine.  I have been informed there is room for errors - the technician did not strap my legs in place and did not tell me keep still and chatted to me throughout the process.  I doubt how accurate it is!

I am going to see if I can have it redone in 12 months - and even ask if it can be done where they have done a previous 10 DEXA scans for me.

Has anyone had a trabecular scan done in the UK?   I have fallen 3 times in the last 2 years - heavily as I am so clumsy! and not broke anything.  I golf 3 times a week, exercise the other 3 days and am a pocket rocket!! who is on the go for at least 12 hours every day.  I am 59 but very small framed - wrist size of 5 1/2 inches and always weighted around 100-105 lbs.  I never had much bone to start with and find it difficult to be compared to a 30 year old normal framed woman.  I really doubt my tscore.

• Posted

Thank you libsan - an interesting post, and you raise something that I had not heard of before - I believe that it's actually a Trabecular Scoring system not a scan as such - an additional way of scoring someone since apparently many people who have fractures do not in fact have osteoporosis as identified by bone density alone. i hope I have given that a fair explanation as I quickly scanned a few articles. This kind of scoring looks at the 'architecture' of the bone in a different way and can be done by assessment tools looking at the bone density scan. it does not appear to be done in the NHS - yet! At any rate if you put NHS and Trabecular into Google you only come up with one study on it, rather than it being practised anywhere.

I was interested that you had obtained bone density scans every 2 years, as this is what I was going to try for, from now on, but doubted that I would be allowed one on the NHS as they mention in 5 years on my paperwork. Is yours on the NHS or privately? I would be happy to pay privately next time, but I know ideally it should be on the same machine.

Thank you for that link to the risk assessment tool. I will certainly be giving that a go. I did see another online, but didn't think I needed to bother, as I am pretty sure that my 15% risk was worked out via one of these tools. However it will be interesting to try this myself and see what I come up with!

I don't think I could tolerate oral bisphosphonates in a million years as I have so many gut sensitivities and have to keep on a limited (though healthy) diet due to them all. As for having the infusions instead.... well I don't really like the fact that the drug apparently stops the bone being able to regenerate which is a natural process, while it's working so eventually you end up with all old brittle bone and no new bone. That must surely not be great re the bone strength, though may be good for the density.

Elsewhere on this site I found this study mentioned - but not sure if they will allow me to copy the link so if you put into Google - Bone Density vs Bone Quality and Cleveland Clinic, it raises some of the questions that you are talking about I think, and talks about such issues as as the bone architecture, and how the idea of Tscores were evolved from populations of md to late 60s white women who don't necessarily represent all those found with low T scores. Unfortunately as a 15 years past menopause, 64 years old woman it probably represents me rather well.

• Posted

Hello mermaid, many thanks for your input.  You are probably right about the trabecular - I understand it is an additional piece of software which can be added to the DEXA scan computer and analyses the quality of the bone.  It gets carried out directly after the DEXA scan.  The software is £12,000 per licence and really useful apparently for those of us who are borderline cases and feel doomed if you do or doomed if you dont take bisophonates!

I have never had a problem obtaining dexa scans on the nhs.  When I was first diagnosed with osteopenia in fact they offered one after just 6 months of HRT.  This by the way put me back into the normal range.  From then on I have been offered and have had carried out a dexa every 2 years as a matter of routine.  However, after the phone call saying I had osteoporosis, I had the prescription and was told another Dexa after 5 years.   I understand this is because the bisophonates may not kick in until 12 months time for some, and then those that did not have the best results after 12 months then go on to have results higher than the norm.  I suppose we are all individuals is the answer.  

As I said in my previous post, I found this very worrying because if you have a chemical imbalance which is causign the op, then the bisophonates wont improve it.

Thanks for the Cleveland Clinic link ... going straight to it now!

Good luck.

• Posted

Libsan again ... how interesting is the Cleveland Clinic report.  Really appreciate you letting me know about it.

• Posted

Thank you for the info re the NHS and the frequency of getting scanned again. I am due to see my GP on Monday to discuss my results so I will see what she says, as I would like to be scanned again in 2 years to check my progress, which I hope will be in the right direction now.

It will be interesting to see if she has anything to say about osteoporosis other than prescribing biphosphonates, but I fear she will not have.

I have just found some more interesting research online which is pertinent to people who are hypermobile, as apparently it's a risk factore for osteoporosis. I am slightly hypermobile, though not severely so, but maybe it has affected me in the wrong way a bit. I might post it on here tomorrow and see if anyone is interested.

• Posted

I was told I had a 10% risk of fracture within ten years.  This took into account my "low bone mass" or osteopenia, being on prednisone and a previous fracture which they called a fragility fracture although because of the circumstances I always questioned that.  It was also recommended that I take bone meds, and my doctor wanted to prescribe alendronic acid.  I refused and have over the past year through completely non-drug methods reduced my fracture risk to the point where they no longer recommend the drugs.

Btw, the biggest fracture risk is not low bone density but falling.  

I did attend a bones clinic where we were given some very good pointers by a physiotherapist on how to protect the spine during daily life and I do try to observe these habits even though my spine density appears all along to have been quite good.  Example, when reaching down to get something from or place something down on the floor, move as though you are going to sit down.  This lowers your body without bending the spine forward and reduces potential stress on the knees.  I find this motion very useful for such activities as feeding the cat!  Physio exercises can also be prescribed to help develop muscles which support the spine.

• Posted

Yes, I agree with you Ashaga that the greatest risk is from falling. It does seem that this is not being emphasised enoIugh. It is good that you have a bones clinic you can attend. I don't think we have anything like that around here though I can ask!

The exercise you mention sounds useful, although would you not be bending the knees slightly and mine are my most painful part but I will have a go and see if I can improve it. Also as you say, it might be good to go to see a physio who can advise good exercises to do. Luckily I have no back pain at present, and I think my summer of gardening, and dancing that I do once a week is helping to keep me fitter than I was a few years back. I had a bad few years of ME/CFS when I often felt too ill to do anything much especially in the winter.

• Posted

The clinic is only offered a couple of times a year at our local hospital.  I had to wait for eight months after my DXA scan to get in!  It was two sessions, each two hours, a week apart and was also live streamed to some smaller hospitals around the province.  There was an introductory session giving us background, explaining about the different kinds of bone, etc.  Then the good session with the physiotherapist.  The second week was a not so good session with a dietitian who was new to the program and did not seem to be very confident or knowledgeable.  The final session was with a rheumatologist, as far as I know the only one around here who specializes in osteoporosis and her entire hour was spent talking about the correct way to take the scary medications.  I tried to ask a few questions of her, but was rather brushed off. She seemed to be pretty full of herself and I felt quite insulted by her patronising manner.  So although it was an interesting event it was not quite as helpful as I'd hoped it would be. Really the best bits were the introduction explaining about trabecular bone, etc, and the physiotherapist with her tips on guarding the spine.  Otherwise I felt by then I'd done so much reading I already knew more than was in the presentations.  

As for your particular condition, I do in fact bend my knees, because the whole point is to avoid the forward bend of the spine.  Bur is you have knee problems then you'd have to work out something else.  Just try sitting down but with no chair there, and see if it's better than a straightforward squat - I certainly find it places less stress on the legs, but I don't have knee problems.  If you do have some specific issues I think it would be a good idea to have an appointment with a physiotherapist who could assess your needs and give you suggestions how to manage.  Dancing sounds like a fun activity and should be helping all your body!  

Today I had a lot of library books to return, so I loaded up my backpack and walked to the library, about 15 minutes.  After dropping them off I had a much longer walk with the empty backpack and kept thinking I had lost something I felt so unburdened!

• Posted

After you mentioned these kinds of classes I did a bit of googling to see if anything like that is provided here. There are so many cutbacks in our National Health Service that I doubted it. It sounds as if it comes under Falls Prevention here, and there are a few hospitals that offer something, some in the London area, but nothing here that I can see (I am in Cornwall). They do hand you a booklet with info on the National Osteoporosis Society and so I will look up to see what they offer if anything.

Anyway, it sounds as if yours was a mxed bag, but better than nothing. At least it helps to focus the mind and good that it wasn't just on how to take bisphosphonates! I have been in touch with my medical herbalist now and she is keen to help me, and already is providing similar support for some other women in the same boat (she is also keen on suitable diet and exercise).

I am trying harder now to bend at the knees when I need to reach for something low down and I think it will become easier as I remember. The knee pain has actually been a bit of a bugbear this week when it isn't usually such an issue. It's a bit of a conundrum without help from mainstream medicine. I found myself with a diagnosis of ME/CFS on top of being hypothyroid some years ago, and did a lot of exploring of my gut issues, and healthy eating etc. I also began to question my thyroid medication and got myself off thyroxine and onto liothyronine which is T3 instead of T4 (as my T3 test showed I was low on that). Along with the other measures, I have slowly improved, and this year been able to exercise without much payback. Then the endocrinologist (had not seen one for 4 years and was dosing myself on T3 with advice from a book and an online group), muscled in and declared that my TSH was too low and there was risk of osteoporosis and atrial fib. Hence the bone scan!

I said I would try to cut back on T3 and indeed managed to cut it without too many symptoms by 10mcg which was nearly a 5th of my dose. According to him this was still not enough, and so this week I tried a little more cut (5mcg) and the symptoms were almost instant - terrible pain in my joints and muscles and any exercise went down the pan. I stuck this out for 5 days but now have gone back up to my previous dose, 10mcg down, and will see what happens next. Silly to cut and not be able to exercise and totally counterproductive. I think my GP will be understanding - going to see her on Monday to discuss the whole subject of osteoporosis.

I am off to dance today - we are all back after Christmas, but have had to do it with the aid of painkillers - not something I like to do normally! I try to keep away from them.

• Posted

That's right, come to think of it I believe the sessions were casually called "falls clinic" although it had a more formal title of Dartmouth (my community) Osteoporosis Multidisciplinary Program or DOME!

My inspirational friend who helped me on the path to natural healing is a proponent of oat straw so you could consider that.  I believe it is high in silica.  Haven't tried it myself, but I keep meaning to look into it.  

• Posted

Thank you Anhaga. I am gradually trawling through some of the old posts on here, and found some of your posts. Maybe it was one of yours that mentioned oat straw so I looked it up and mentioned it to my herbalist in an email before I see her in a couple of weeks.

It must be great to have an inspirational friend encouraging you on. I do feel a bit more positive than I did a week ago when I got the bad news. It was such a shock and it felt like a death sentence!

• Posted

I was initially told I had osteoporosis.  My doctor only received the "summary" which included no t-scores or other numbers, only the risk factors, and recommendation for the usual calcium + D and bone prescription med.  I had a devil of a time getting my t-scores, and finally got the one one for femoral neck, which turned out to be in the osteopenia range.  I can still remember that day, how as the hours went by I felt lighter and lighter, and I have to say my whole mental attitude changed from then on.  I'd been feeling, puns not intended, shattered, not to say crushed, by the initial statement by my doctor that I had osteoporosis.  It did launch me on the journey of discovery, however, and for that I am grateful.  Also the fact that a subsequent DXA scan (one year follow-up) showed that I could successfully reverse things has been very encouraging.  And this time I've been given the full reports for both first and second scans with recommendation that next scan be in three to five years, no prescription drugs necessary!

• Posted

Yes, it's interesting, that there is so much detail in the report and although it does feel a bit like a death sentence reading mine, I doubt that most people bother to even try to get hold of it. I have told a neighbour who is at the same medical practice to me that she can ask for a copy of it. She was only borderline but has been put on bisphosphonates as she is having treatment for cancer which could worsen things. I doubt that she has researched the medication, but it's a harder choice maybe in her shoes.

Funnily enough, MY Dr seemed to only get the summary also with no T-scores or numbers! She knew that something was missing and was going to get hold of it, but meanwhile I went into the Dr's surgery to ask for it. I just pay a small amount for admin costs.

So.... did you have the 3 scores as I have - the femoral neck one, the spine and the total hip? Were the other 2 scores osteoporosis, and the femoral neck was osteopenia? I just have osteopenia in the total hip and my other 2 show osteoporosis scores.

It's good that you managed to get another scan at a year. I am not sure that they would do that here, and I was aiming to ask for 2 years, and do as much as I can in that time to improve things. I have a siight concern still over the cause of mine. I also had a heel test done privately just 5 years ago which showed a minus 1.1 low risk for osteopenia, and if this was accurate (maybe not) then I have lost the bone in 5 years, and that would mean that the endocrinologist was right about it being caused by the thyroid med I am on. I cannot cut back more than I have as I get terrible pain, so I am in a fix about that one! (I have now cut it back a bit though).

• Posted

My doctor received only the summary.  Which she misinterpreted.  She could have access to complete report through internet portal, but her practice doesn't use the portal.  I asked her to give me a letter to take to the imaging department when I went for my second scan asking that I be given full reports for both scans.  They didn't give it to me, but sent paper copies to my doctor's office.  There were two hip measurements and nine numbers in spine altogether but they scanned four vertebrae.  The recommendation after the first scan was for rescan within one or two years.  They also had recommended bone meds.  The second scan resulted in recommendation for rescan in three to five years, and no medication.  Another factor is my prednisone dose was down to three by second scan, had been ten when I had first one, so that's a risk factor we no longer need to take into account.  

Apparently the heel measurements are only useful in that they may show that you need a full scan.  Their measurement is notoriously unreliable and should not be used to determine your actual status.  The device was popularized by the drug companies and has been used to try to get more osteopenic women to take bone meds.  It's really quite appalling the way the public is manipulated by those who only want to make money. 

As for your thyroid meds, I don't think you should be risking your chemical health for the sake of your mechanical health, if that makes sense.  I think if I was able to turn my bone loss around while still on pred (I did not get below 5 mg for another seven months after that first scan and it's been shown pred can still affect bones even at that low dose) then I think there's a good chance you can also counteract the effects of the thyroid med.  As in the case of prednisone, you need what you need.

• Posted

All of my scores were within the osteopenia range, or in the case of spine some of them aren't even that bad.  Except the trochanter was right on the osteoporosis number last year, -2.5, and is -2.3 this year.  They go by the femoral neck when telling those who are otherwise in the dark their t-score.  That was the number given to each of us at the bones clinic.  When I asked the rheumatologist why I couldn't get my spine numbers she said, "Because you don't need them".  I felt that I should be the judge of that!  Anyway I have taken this to mean they take the femoral neck to be the most important one and the one I've shared on here:  -2 improving to -1.6.  Happiness.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.