"Short" Barretts Esophagus ??

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have had Gerd for over 10 years, but when I was discharged from hospital recently (something else!) they informed me I had Barretts, but the word "short" was in front of it.  Can anyone tell me what this means?

Also any advice on foods, what to eat/what not to eat, etc. would be helpful.

Many thanks in advance.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Short segment Barrett's is defined as shorter tha 3 cms.

Barrett's is a replacemet of some of the normal squamous cells lining the oesophagus with columnar ones. In UK, depending on other perceived risk factors and its condition, regular surveillance endoscopy is recommended every 3 to 5 years for short segment Barrett's.and PPIs (eg omeprazole) at lowest effective dose.

Regarding diet. There's far too much rubbish taked about what foods should be eaten and which to avoid. Don't listen to that. Keep a food diary to discover any trigger foods particular to you. (We're all different and react t fods dfferently. )

Barrett's itself has no symptoms; symptoms you may feel are from the reflux or the acid that caused it.

Visit www BarrettsWessex org uk.

1. From the TIPS tab drop down select the Put Simply page which describes how the Barrett's foremd.

2. Clcik on the JOURNEY tab and follow the presentation from diagnosis to treatment delivered by one of our consultant gastroenterologists a few years ago.

3. Click on the Down With Acid tab to be taken to the site of the free book / website Down With Acid about acid, reflux, complications and management.

4. If you want a book of recipes that other acid refluxers have found useful, click on the TIPS tab and then on the picture of the Cool Food book.

5. The FORUM tab takes you to a Barrett's specific froum with members worlwide.

• Posted

Hi Barretts.

At the end of October I was in hopital (for 2 weeks) following a bad bout of  internal bleeding. I had 2 gastroscopies, 2 endoscopies and 1 enterscopy.   After the first gastroscopy the consultant suspected "short Barretts" - after the second one he said NOT Barretts but serious inflamation of the esophagus and stomach lining.  During the endoscopies they found  a 2cm blockage and a couple of polyps ( which they dealt with on the spot).  The hospital also dealt with the bleeding and diarrhoea.

It has been a month now since I came out of hospital, but I am still having pain in the esophagus and upper stomach.  How long do you think I should cope with this alone before I see the doctor?  I am taking Pantoprazol 40 mg and Gaviscon (and believe me the latter actually helps)!

I have at last downloaded Down With Acid and will donate soon.

• Posted

Sorry to hear you're still having problems.

When there's inflammation at the oesophago-gastric junction, it can be difficult diagnosing whether there's barrett's tissue there or not.

If the pain is from the infammation you would expect it to heal in a few weeks if the acid is reduced. 40mg pantoprazole is a low (maintenance) dose (equivalent to 20mg omeprazole). It is most frequently prescribed at double that strength for a few weeks to help the healing of inflammation. Perhaps discuss taking the higher dose with your doctor?

If you want to PM me a postal address, I can send you a free printed copy of the book.

• Posted

Thanks Barretts.

I have downloaded the book.   No need to send me a printed copy - only seem to read online these days.

Seasonal greetings fr Constance

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.