"swelling in non operated foot"

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

Im day 18 right THR, I am experiencing swelling from thigh to toe,this does improve after sleeping at night albeit a few hours and then gradually gets worse by evening which I know is quite normal. However over the last few days I have noticed that the non operated foot and ankle is slightly swollen, just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? There is no pain in the foot or leg and the leg appears to be normal size. Many thanks for any input it's just worrying me a bit.

Nicky.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Nicola, the non-operative leg has to do extra duty while recovery from THR. My non-op leg was a mess during that time, sore knee, possible shin splints, sore and swollen ankle. As your THR leg heals and takes over more of the body support duties, your other leg should feel better.
    • Posted

Hi

Many thanks for that, I have previously had a DVT, so was over worrying, it does make sense as I switched to one crutch over the last few days,I'm guessing I'm using more strain on the good leg,yes and the knee hurts too.

• Posted

My right ankle and foot swelled up for a couple months after my LTHR. It went away as my operated leg recovered. 🛌

• Posted

Hi Nicola!

I had my THR in April of 2015. I did have some swelling back then but not to the extent you're talking. After all this time, I still occasionally have some calf swelling just on my operated side.

I always sleep with a pillow between my legs and sit in my recliner with my feet up to alleviate the swelling when I feel my calf tightening.

I would definitely talk to your doctor about it.

Don't take swelling lightly!

• Posted

Hi

Thanks for the advice,I'll try the pillows, it seems to be better this morning, however if it continues I'll speak to the gp, as you say it is better to get it checked.

Nicky

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.