"The bulge" and ciprofloxacin for cystitis

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm 10 weeks post repair (anterior, posterior) and just had my consultant follow up. For the first time in years I'm no longer leaking urine (which is just soooooo exciting!) so I was pretty sure it would all be positive.

Healing all going well a few stitches left to dissolve and she gave me the go ahead to start exercising (no exercises where both feet leave the ground - like running- and no squats, weights are fine as long as I'm not bench pressing (as if....); I can lift my 15kg daughter just not prolonged carrying; I can live with those restrictions). So that all seems good. Thought the detail might be useful as we're all confused by inconsistent advice re exercise.

She did however tell me I have chronic cystitis (probably caused by years of failing to completely empty my bladder though I've never had ANY symptoms) and has put me on a 3 month course of ciprofloxacin. Never heard of this but pharmacist said no gym due to side effects loosening your tendons (and some pretty gruesome other stuff). Plus 3 months seems like a really long course. Anybody got any experience of this?

also she wants to see me again in 4 months when she wants to discuss "the bulge". (I can't feel a bulge!). She told me my tissues are thin although I'm not yet menopausal. So it sort of dented my optimism- does this mean it hasn't worked? But hey, I'm not peeing myself any more so that alone makes it all worthwhile!!

1 like, 40 replies

40 Replies

• Posted

Hi I had posterior surgery just over 6 weeks ago I'm due to see my consultant on 19th this month..I've been ok..but I've recently started weeing a lot..I've not had a period since last Aug..normally just before my period I tend to have this problem,.so hopefully that's what it is...I've got a list for him..lol ๐Ÿ˜Š
    • Posted

How could she tell you you had chronic systitus x
    • Posted

She did a bladder biopsy while I was having my op. I'd had a full urodynamics assessment during diagnosis so I'm guessing something in that gave her reason to think it was needed.ย 

good idea for the list. I completely forgot some questions and I kicked myself for not writing them down beforehand.

• Posted

Hi. I'm pleased you're able to start exercising now. Some ladies do think they are give inconsistent advice but mostly they aren't. They are given advice pertinent to their surgery. So just because someone has the same surgery as you doesn't mean they can exercise like you because a lot depends on the how severe the prolapse was, the number and type of sutures amongst other things so ladies must get advice from their own doctor.

Regarding long term antibiotics, this is commonly advised for chronic cystitis and research has shown it to be extremely effective so hopefully you won't have too many problems after the 3 months.

I was menopausal when I was described with my tissues being very thin but I suspect they were thin beforehand. Your gynaecologist will be able to prescribe something for that so please don't worry, it easily dealt with and more common than you realise.

• Posted

Matron you are of course spot on about the exercise advice. It's not inconsistent but tailored to the person. The restrictions are OK for me because although I run I'm not passionate about it, and am convinced it is what made my prolapse worse. But I do have friends who would be very upset with that limitation.ย 

Im a bit concerned about the ciprofloxacin tendon thing so I'm going to get a season ticket to the local swimming pool for now and build up my walking as well. There's always an alternative.

Thanks for the reassurance about the tissues. My consultant said I would need creams when I hit menopause but I'm going to go to my GP to see if I can get them now. I have lots of symptoms of low oestrogen just not the irregular periods and hot flushes ย that go with the menopause.

Loving this forum as always. Stops your head from buzzing with what ifs and maybes. Thank you!

• Posted

I think swimming is a great idea and will only benefit you. Going to see your GP is something I would do because the sooner you start treatment the better. My GP still prescribes me pessaries that I use twice a week, that was on the advice of my Urogynaecologist 6 years ago!ย 
    • Posted

Hi matron my sick note runs out wed I don't no whether to wait untill I see my consultant on the 19th before thinking about goin back to work ๐Ÿ˜ณ
    • Posted

I always advise ladies not to return to work until they've had their post op check
    • Posted

I'm still walking like a penguin sometimes ๐Ÿ˜ณ
    • Posted

Lol is it normal I'm proper worried in case it hasn't worked..๐Ÿ˜ง Can't wait to go to see my consultant .๐Ÿ˜Š
    • Posted

Hi it is normal then ๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜Š
    • Posted

Yes it is debra. Please don't worry. I was walking like a 90 year old for weeks
    • Posted

Ok thank you..was you really..bless you ..๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ˜˜
    • Posted

This surgery certainly messes with your head ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜€
    • Posted

How old are your children
    • Posted

Yes and I looked so ill. I remember a friend coming to see me a burst into tears when she saw me. That's why I can't stress enough just how much this surgery takes out if you.
    • Posted

Are you asking me how old my children are debra?
    • Posted

Aww people say I look well..lol I don't feel well I'm getting there though x
    • Posted

You are just one of those people who look well even after surgeryย 
    • Posted

I have a daughter 39 in June and a son who was 37 last month. 3 grandchildren 9,7and 4
    • Posted

Ha ha I feel fine lol just not my self yet..I never realised it takes it out of you this much..even though I did my home work on it,.i said nah o won't be like that..Not lol ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜˜
    • Posted

Aww wow I have a daughter who's 27 and a daughter who's 24 on the 23rd of this month and a grandaughter who was two Dec 3rd..๐Ÿ˜˜
    • Posted

Who? Your daughter? ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ
    • Posted

Roughly how much does she weigh? Although I'm erring on the side of caution and saying no.
    • Posted

Noooo silly sausage ๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„
    • Posted

It's my birthday in June ๐Ÿ˜Š

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.