"THE STICK

Posted , 10 users are following.

goodevening fellow hippies 😃

"the stick!"😁

why is it that the stick is in the wrong place???

sometimes I am in the kitchen cooking and I get around using the kitchen worktops, works quite well , until you need to get to the fridge!  No work tops, where's the stick? 

I know I wont be alone, I know you will know exactly what I mean. Why does it always fall down however hard you try to prop it up

securely. ?

it does come in useful too though. I use it to pull up my knickers, the only thing I cannot manage is the stockings.what a nightmare they are. 

Im looking forward to Wimbledon tomorrow. Murray playing. 

Must elevate the leg, what better excuse than to watch the tennis!!

the weather has been good too. It's been nice to be able to wear nice loose fitting dresses with the knickers someone mentioned   I before soft against that poor sore hip. 

I I even got out to marks and Spencer's today. Hubby drove me down and I di quite well. Walked a fair bit. I like to use two sticks I feel safer. Bought a lovely long dress cos I'm going to a birthday party old friends, we are/were all 60 this year. It's not till 12th July, so hope I wont be getting quite so tired by then. 

I am 11days post op and think I am doing ok but you don't know do you?  I walk with one stick. Walk quite a bit. Tell myself to do my exercises and that's where I fal down. I probably only do them once a day. I cook dinner most nights. I find sitting quite uncomfortable so would prefer to be cooking anyway 

sleeping is still my biggest problem, but it doesn't ge me down I just accept I sleep when I can 

well I feel a hot chocolate coming on!!!

so again goodnight one and all

may you all be comfortable 

Carol x

6 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes why do they not invent crutches or sticks that can be sucked back using strong magnets. Orva button on crutch that releases 3 prong s when they have to be left down.any inventors out there
    • Posted

It's that Stick Fairy at work again - mischievous little monkey isn't she?

she drives me daft! Keeps visiting us all, all the time!

one of nurses in hospital tol me to stand crutches upside down so they rest on the round arm ring. I don't think anything really works though

Back to the drawing board lol xx

• Posted

Just what I said to my husband told him he could make a fortune in self standing sticks! 
  • Posted

Have u a handle on a cupboard door that u could hang Ur stick on? U seem to be doing really well & are planning ahead for Ur party. I'm really getting so much helpful info from this page ahead of my op. The sooner the better for me. I can't wait to get on with life & celebrate my 50th in January pain free. Enjoy ur hot chocolates. My kids love the whittards White hot chocolate have u tried that? My vice would be a nice glass of red wine 😃
    • Posted

Hi gossip

talking of wine, went a ride out with hubbie tonight and I said It was such a nice night I fancied a glass of wine

Car broke down with battery trouble right next door to a pub so whilst we waited for AA man guess what, we sat outside and had a glass of wine

Lovely but I was a bit unsteady on the crutches - usually a gin and tonic girl me !

xx

• Posted

At least u enjoyed the wait with hubby. Most men get so annoyed to wait on RAC or AA. Ur doing great. Delighted for u. Maybe I should become a g&t lady too lol. Where did u have Ur op? I'm so interested to know on this forum how everyone's getting on. I'm in Ireland & met a surgeon a month ago. He gave me no information but told me to join a forum for young people needing thr. So I paid €180 to him. And we get all the advice from each other on here. Maybe he was right in advising that. But I 

was so concerned that he gave I'm going for 2nd opinion on July 22nd. I'll make a decision then. 

• Posted

Had my op at Coventry - had Superpath method of THR

Delighted with result so far - very small incision , no dislocation of hip during operation and no cutting of muscles

I cannot believe you had to pay all that money to join a forum - you will get everything you could possibly need on this one

I would Google and see what surgeons you come up with - that's how I found out about mine

You are only young and need to get the best outcome for yourself

When do you think you will have your op?

linda xx

• Posted

After I see the other surgeon in July I will hopefully get an apt by August. We have private health insurance but it's a low policy so can't pick & choose anywhere. The guy I'm going to see in 3 weeks is a HSE dr but I'm seeing him privately for advice as his private surgery isn't covered by our insurance. I'm hoping he'll put me in touch with the best surgeon that I'm covered with. Otherwise I'm going to have to waIt more than a year with HSE. I can't wait a month at this stage. The pain is unbearable.
    • Posted

I'm in northern Ireland near Derry Got

a very good private consultant who also works for NHS. I can provide msg you if you are interested in border hopping

• Posted

No carol I paid that money to the dr for my consultation!!!! He gave me very little info & told me to  read some forums. He wouldn't even show me the report on my x Rays & scans. Hmmmmm!! Ur doing really well. Keep letting us know how Ur doing. 
  • Posted

good morning Carol -- cheesygrin

actually there is such a cane - I saw a commercial when I lived in Los Angeles about the "Hurri-cane" --- has 4 prongs -  (never gave it a thought at that time) - lovely and relaxed people going grocery shopping and just left their can upright - .... I have that same problem - always falling down, no matter how I wedge it between whatver ... 

do you have a grabber? so much easier than to use the cane, you know ... and a sock slip thing ... 

as for the exercises ... I do them while standing at the kitchen counter - it doesn't take that long and I do them frequently ... squeezing your butt muscles can be done anywhere - even while sitting and watching Wimbledon .....

I think you are doing just great !!!!  enjoy your day ... yes, you deserve it !!!

big hug

renee

• Posted

Hi reene

i do do a few exercises at the kitchen counter thinking about it. Funnily enough the buttock squeeze is one of my least favourite, never realised how much it would hurt!!!!! 

Have a good day yoursef

carol😃😃😃x

• Posted

Hi Carol!

G'day...sounds like you are doing pretty good and recovery is on track. Sure your new dress will be a wow!

The grabber. Hmmmm...that has always been in the wrong place...grrrr!

But at 4 months it will resurface as litter picker up in a clear city project

Keep in touch

Mic

X

• Posted

Haha Carol - your post could have been written by me! I promised myself I'd be a model patient, but now, 3.5 weeks post op and I forget to do my exercises, I shuffle round the house with no crutches at all, let alone 2 and last night, when I actually managed to sleep well, I woke to find myself on my side!

And today? Today I am going without those frigging ted socks! I just cannot bear them any longer! I am considerably more active than I was pre-op so don't think it can do much harm? watch this space for me complaining about dvt!!!

Enjoy the tennis - you'll hear me roariing my support from Aberdeen!

Rosie xx

• Posted

I would love to see a video of us all and our "sticks" the number of times I've walked away and got half way to where I want to be and suddenly realised I'd left my stick behind. The kitchen flooded the other evening after a mini panic and picking the stick up numerous times because it wouldn't stay upright I managed to bend down under the sink to turn the stop cock off and then walked round the floor on towels to soak up the water, when I finally picked up my trusty stick I nearly went flying as my hand was wet. That was it the bottle of wine came out of the fridge.......... Today I started walking round the house without the stick, yes it's definately on its way out..
    • Posted

Hi Christine .... LOL - really - I hope you didn't hurt yourself -- I dropped 3 eggs this morning - just dropped out of the carton .... Had to go down on my knees to mop it up ... could barely get up and while doing so, bumped my head against the counter ... 

a video would be great and also of how we manage the toilet in the beginning ... for our eyes only though  ... 

be careful today and mind where you are going .... it will be a full moon - 

big hug

• Posted

beware the were-wolves then, especially as you can't run very fast at the moment! and helpful if they don't come for you when you are kneeling!!

enjoy the sun

mic

x

• Posted

I must admit I have started having a couple of glasses of wine whilst getting the dinner 🍷🍷 sort of takes the edge off. Have to stop at two though (small glasses) , got to have some pleasures! Can't help but imagine you slip sliding about in the kitchen. Mine slipped on a wet patch my goodness it sends a jolt up the old hip!  

Keep the stick handy, it's quite a comfort except when you can't find the bloody thing!😂😂😂😂😂

hope your getting some sleep tonight and are comfy in your chosen place

i think hot chocolate for me and off to bed. Hoping for another four hours tonight. What a treat

night

Carol

• Posted

Hi Carol

Hope you are having a restful night

Just having one of my 'open all hours' sessions.

talking of the vino, hubbie and myself been to my son's step daughters 18th little celebration tonight and I am not a wine drinker normally, but had a few glasses of bubbly and felt great

Feel like I've been given a new pain free lease of life and going to enjoy every minute of it!

Hope you're feeling good too

Soon be tomorrow !

Warm wishes Linda!!

• Posted

I wish I could say I was pain free at the moment. My scar feels like it's on fire. It feels tight. I'm doing the usual, ice packs, cushions, hey ho soon be morning

i have been really enjoying an hours afternoon nap  at about three pm. I usually sleep for an hour.  Given me a bit of energy towards making dinner. Watch a bit of Wimbledon before my little tipple to keep me going

so glad you got out and had a good time.  Well done you. We're you completely pain free?  

The dressing is off and was surprised to find prickly stitches as I thought it would be disolvable or glue. I never discussed how they would close the wound.  

I thought I might rub the scar with bio oil or e45 cream   Bit tender to the touch though.

i hope wherever you are, (where is that by the way)? That's the thing with the Internet you could be anywhere! , anyway wherever  I hope you are pain free. I know sometimes i wonder if i will ever get there, yet I know I will. It's all better every day the trouble is I can see so much that WANs doing and I know I can't do it   We've been building a house and there is still lots of finishing touches that need doing.  

Ive got myself a jigsaw   Haven't done one for years. Trouble is I can't get comfy at the table, but I'm sure it won't be long before I can I will be content with exercise, walk dog, rest, chat to you lot, make lunch. Exercise whilst making lunch take the dog, read, nap, Wimbledon make dinner watch rubbish on the tv cos there's nothing on. We installed new internet connected TVs only to find we don't have enought signal to run them. Long long story................

lim waffling

hope this finds you in good spirits

Carol x

• Posted

good morning Carol ...sounds that you are doing good - accepting what is at this moment and being content - no use fighting it and wishing it was different ... I have some moments like that - thank you for reminding me - 

my scar feels funny too - dead skin eventhough it feels like burning and some stabbing sensation underneath ... rubbing bio oil on it too - 

may you have many content moments today ....big hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Carole I did send a reply suggesting something you could use on your scar, something I've tried and it's worked. Unfortunately they are checking it because it might be deemed as advertising. Hopefully they might let it thru
    • Posted

Hi Carol,

wine sounds a good idea - I posted earlier hot chocolate and Amarula liquer was good, but this sounds equally fine!

seems so long ago my crutch slipping on wet tiles in the kitchen, and that was scary like christine's experience. just to say the time does go fast, and in no time you'll be throwing the crutches back to the hospital with glee.

have alovely and hot day, and hope Heather Watson and English Footie women wins!

Mic

x

• Posted

Thank you renee

Already hot hot hot here in  kent!!

wouldnt want to be playing at Wimbledon today

hope you have a good day too

carol xx

• Posted

Hi all, thought I would add my “stick” antics ;-)

I can certainly identify with it never being where I need it and now leave one by the back door, I have also got a left and right pacerpole, they are for walkers and designed by a physio in the lake district, very light and strong as they are made from carbon fiber (like formula 1 cars). I have an assortment of animals including horses so have to check the fields/fences daily and the pacerpoles are excellent.

I have found many uses for the “stick”, it is great for poking unwanted rivals that appear in my garden to stalk my old cat or the wildlife, retrieving balls from the hedge or under the sofa and pushing plant pots around. However its greatest asset is protecting me and one of my girls (who is in season) from my 35kg, 8 month old pup who is a rampant bundle of testosterone !!!! He also got half a dozen fresh eggs yesterday, ate the eggs, shells and the box but left the kitchen floor yucky and slippy! Not the ideal time to be training a pup but then we did not know I would be involved in an accident.

Looking forward to not needing a stick but in a strange way it has become a bit of a friend. Hope your all making the most of the sunshine, big hugs, Dot.

• Posted

Hello Dot

Sounds like you are being very pragmatic and you made me laugh! And it sounds like you have got your hands full too....

I've got similar poles and yes very helpful. I got some advice on how to use them best which wasn't that obvious.

Your pup sounds great fun...does he lick you and try to get into your lap?

Have a nice day in the heat

Mic

X

• Posted

Hi carol

How are things going today for you?

Have you tried E45 on scar -seems to work for me although I am going to try some Bio oil.

Don't worry that you will never get there because you will- we have all had major ops and are impatient to get well

Have to remind ourselves of this and just take it easy and let our bodies heal

slowly

I am 3 weeks post op and can tell how different I feel from just 10 days ago

Exercises are so much easier to do, walking further each day and getting out and about more with hubbie, doing more around the house and some cooking. No pain meds during day now

Night times still the worst time, but we will all get there

I live in North Warks near Nuneaton - how about you?

weather glorious although we did have a little thunderstorm a while ago

Enjoy your day and chill!

Best wishes Linda xx

• Posted

hi Linda 

im doing ok today thank you.

Husband popped me up garden centre and we had a bit of lunch. Took the wheelchair which was great. My mum in law will not be seen in one, but for me I thoroughly enjoyed being pushed around with no effort!!  Walked until  I had had enough then got back in chair.  I fancy  Being pushed along the sea front next!  

Just done something stupid. Tried getting up with just one arm, we have wooden floors and the bad leg slipped sideways and I now have a sharp pain in my groin.   Two hands next time!!  

Time to sit and watch Wimbledon I think and keep out of trouble

i agree with you I feel slightly better every day. Keep forgetting the dreaded stick cos I feel better and then need it

Do you still have a lie down sometimes in the afternoon?  

Whilst out we popped into the chemist and I bought some bio oil. Give it a go. 

Still relying on daytime pain killers.

its so hot here watching tv with the fan on next to me.

I live in glorious kent about a few miles from junction 4 of the M25

what you been up to??

all the best

carol xx

• Posted

Your post made me laugh😂. I can just imagine a puppy, jaws clenched on the end of your stick.!!

i live on a farm. We have only rough ground so the pacer poles sound quite a good idea, just for stability rather than support. 

My old dad had 3 hip replacements in his time, I i can see him now  with his stick, pointing prodding etc, but it's just what I'm doing now. I've thought about him more in the last 2 weeks, because of the "stick" than I have all year. 

What was your accident?  

Take care

Carol xxx

• Posted

Hi Carole

Nice to hear your news!

I have had an easy day today - yesterday did not stop all day but no energy today so just taking it easy.

I work from home so can just do a bit of work on computer when I feel like it

I must get hubbie to take me to garden centre - we have one just up the road from where we live

Pre op, I took the grandkids and they found some wheelchairs on the way out. They begged me to let them push me round and I said Oooh no, I'm not ready for that yet! Well I am now 'cos I've got an excuse and they do lovely afternoon teas!

You be careful with that leg of yours, it's so easy to jolt yourself. Hubbie was driving me the other day and he went up the kerb. It really hurts doesn't it when you jarr your leg. It reminds me of being driven around when heavily pregnant - I can still remember any little bump in the road and it went right through you - God, that's a long time ago!

Yes, I have a lie down whenever I feel like it, usually lunchtime onwards,

but it could be anytime - I'm making the most of this 'downtime' as I a work full time and am always so busy. I think we deserve it don't you?

Weather lovely here today - had a bit of a thunderstorm this morning but soon cleared up.

Just off for a walk down our very long drive - I must get a pedometer to check my mileage. Not doing quite as many exercises as I should but love the walking - it's good for all your muscle groups anyway!

Well, wonder what tonight will bring - cannot sleep for more than 2 hrs then wide awake with nagging back ache which goes as soon as I get up and walk around.

Only taking co codamol at night now, but having said that, just got up from my lie down and back was niggling so took 2 paracetamol - pointless suffering it!

Hope you have a good night - have a chat with me if you are awake!

Glad you are feeling a little better every day - are you using crutches. I am on one round the house and have tried a few steps without, but feel as if I am limping so obviously not ready yet. Nothing like the dreadful drunk limp I had pre op though.

Enjoy the rest of your evening

Kind regards Linda xx

• Posted

Hi Linda

good to hear from you too. 

How ow old are your grandchildren?  

I havnt  had a lie down today so feeling a little tired. I hope it will make me sleep better, but it doesn't seem to work like that.  

Hope we we might have a thunderstorm here as it is so close. And the courgettes and beans could do with some water. It's frustrating when I can't just go and water them. Not used doing not a lot! 

I might take take you up on a chat later, I never know what the night will bring

i use one stick. They took me from zimmer to two sticks I never had crutches! I do forget the stick sometimes, accidentally and then panic. I had a dreadful limp  pre op I think limping is also a bad habit, as is my foot that turns outwards. 

• Posted

off to do dinner. Tesco fish pie and broc. Nice and easy. 

Take care

speak soon

best wishes Carol xx😄😄

• Posted

Thanks Mic, I live in North Lakes so have been an avi walker, rampant boy suffering tonight and not eating :-(  As you will see he is a big lad, pleased I made you laugh, we can never do enough of it, have a nice evening. Dot.jn 
    • Posted

Hi Carol, I have just put a pic on my reply to Mic, wait until you see the size of him! He is only 12Kg lighter than me but I am still boss ;-) xx
    • Posted

He's huge! 

Pare you sure you are boss or does he just let you think you are? 

hows your day been?. I am trying to go to bed a little earlier than usual as I didn't get a nap today. I am really tired tonight but half afraid to retire. 

No, positive thinking I am going to have a good night 

hope you do

be comfortable 

carol x

• Posted

Hi DOT

OMG HE IS Enormous!

And lovely...want him!

Mic

X

• Posted

owwwwwwwwww!

everything hurts. Want to curl up into a ball and go to sleep! 

I know it will pass.  I think of all the little muscles knitting themselves. 

Jou st thought I would see what you were up too. I hope you are fast asleep and don't wake until 6am. 

Best wishes

carol x

• Posted

Hi Carol

You awake too?   I haven't been to sleep yet - just cannot settle at all.

Hope you enjoyed your fish pie. I have just done my Sainsbury's shop online and ordered a fish pie as you set me off thinking about it. Pre op we used to go into Sainsbury's for one of a lunch time.

Have grandchildren to stay on a Wednesday - their dad lives with us at the moment. He's getting married in October-been with us 5 years following relationship break up.

i can hear them fidgeting around in bed. It's a lot cooler now but still seems close and muggy.

You asked about grandchildren- I have three - twin boys age12 and a 14 year old boy. Just twins here tonight as eldest has to do early morning paper round near his home.

Think  I will go and make some hot chocolate and watch the Syndicate on iPlayer from earlier tonight

I have normally had an hours sleep by now - haven't taken my co coda mol and my neck and shoulders ache- oh I hate this lying on your back business.

I really miss not being able to drive. I am always off somewhere - feel like a prisoner in my own home!

Hubbie working hard to help cover for me in my job and having to look after my 91 year old mum as I can't so he's really tired when he gets in.

We live in an isolated cottage so nowhere to walk to - getting hair done next week so back into civilisation

Don't mind really - the rest is nice

Hope you nod off soon

Regards Linda xx

• Posted

Hi Linda

yes I'm here. I've been to bed twice in the chair and like you I can't settle. 

I have walking legs as well. Do you find the exercises give you cramp sometimes?

the fish pie was lovely, nice and easy, and easy to eat if you know what I mean. My appetite is not great, but I snack. And have become addicted to hot chocolate. I have put on half a stone since coming home. No exercise doesn't help. 

I am going to try Online tesco shopping. Never done it. Poor hubby has to do that as well. He never shops. We also have mum-in law to take care of on a daily basis, which of course I used to do. Dad died last year so have my 86 yr old mum who is just down the road. Looking after herself ok at the moment 

no driving!!! I know what you mean. I do not like being dependent on other people

on a good note I am going to a birthday gathering  I have seven friends from school and we still all get together a couple of times a year. This is a special year though as we are all 60

i put thick cushion between my legs tonight and had about three minutes in my side. Oh how I wish I could have stayed there, but I was too scared of doing damage.

i live on a farm so no smooth walking area anywhere, so I always take two sticks with me

hope you are comfy somwhere 

Carol

Good to chat

• Posted

It's funny how even just putting my foot on a book to raise it up eases the pain. I know you know what I mean! 

still trying, will get there in the end

carol

• Posted

Are you still awake?

I just cannot settle at all - just painted my nails and watched the Syndicate.Now what?

Will be knackered in the morning!

Your 60th birthday bash sounds good - something nice to look forward to

Online shopping is great -you can get some cash off with your first online order at Tesco and most of the other stores. Ordered my Bio Oil from Sainsburys tonight

Well I am going to read for a bit now and hope to drop off 

Hope you do too

Chat soon

Linda xx🙋💤💤

• Posted

I think a safe way to convey what I think you wanted you say Christine is that there are oils available for scars that we can massage into our incision daily that help with tightness and that softens the skin tissue and promotes healing.

Am I close?

💛 Dawn, USA

• Posted

Couuld't sleep, staying up and watched the Women's excellent world cup footie.

England were quite classy but lost to an own goal in last 10 seconds of match

did sleep after!

mic

x

• Posted

Hi Mic

Yes, my hubbie watched the football - such a shame about that goal. Glad you managed to nod off. I never slept a wink last night - just couldn't settle down, don't know why. Will be having a kip this afternoon to catch up!

Have a good day - not so hot here in North Warks as it was yesterday

Linda xx

• Posted

Yes you're right I think it was because I named the product shame because they've been brilliant x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.