1.6 cm stone May need 2 lithotripsy's to break up

Posted , 4 users are following.

This is my 3rd kidney stone, so fun, but my largest yet at 1.6cm. Stent placed in about a week ago and waiting another week and a half before I can have lithotripsy. My urologist recently told me I may need the lithotripsy twice bc of the size of the stone. Just wondering if anyone has experience with a stone this size. The past week has been awful with pain especially when urinating, some nausea and slight fever even with the pain meds.

Thanks much,

Meghan

0 likes, 9 replies

Report / Delete

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi I had a stone about 1cm in my left kidney had lithotripsy but gave up half way through the second treatment. Now currently waiting for an op to get the stone out. Can I ask if you are in England as I think the treatment for stones is slightly different. I never had a stent for the lithotripsy. I've heard through this site and other comments that things are done different in America. I also have a stone stuck in the ureta in my right side which has caused me a lot of pain so hopefully they will sort that one at the same time as the other. I must say lithotripsy is probably the better option if it works for you.

Maureen

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I am in America, the stent is supposed to help the stone pass through without discomfort after I do get the lithotripsy. There's a wait on the lithotripsy machine here, travels from hospital to hospital. I've just noticed some people have had the operation with kidney stones over 1cm and some had lithotripsy. Thanks for sharing your experience though. Maybe I will try the first lithotripsy and hope it helps!
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

They told me that my first set of lythotripsy hadn't completely destroyed the stone and that I would need to go back for more, but when I went back, the stone had disappeared so it wasn't required. Maybe you'll be lucky too.

If you can put up with the lythotripsy then it's better than an operation because it's less invasive. I was feeling a bit sickly towards the end of my lythotripsy but if you ask them to keep you advised of how much longer there is to go, it helps to withstand the discomfort and to stick it out to the end.

Keep up with the pain meds and drink lots of water.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi thanks for your reply. I thought you might be in America ( wish I was ha ha) loved it when I visited. I do find it interesting in the different methods/ treatments that other countries use. However hope all goes well for you keep us updated. I will also update the forum regarding my own treatment ect.

Maureen

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi,

I was diagnosed of having 5 stones in my left kidney (largest 18mm) 4 in the right (largest 11mm).

This was December last year 2015. I went in for my first Lithotrpsy Operation on the 4th of Jan 2016 where they cleared my left kidney - and placed stents in both left and right. Unfortunatly for me they also found a growth in bladder called a Punlmp, which was removed atthat time - aparently they are rare and not of high concern, although is regarded as low malignant potential.

So to give you a clear honest walk through.....

The first 24hours after the surgery (Hold Tight) urinating is exruciating sorry to give anyone concern who has this to look forward to but it is what it is. I would describe it as a deep aching pain which can make you feel very naucious. Its like you can feel this bruised pain through the stents and your kidneys. Pain killers are your freind - I have found Indomethacin as a suppository very helpfull (obviously consult your specilist about the drugs you use). I have also been using Pandine Forte.

About 2/3 days after the surgery the pain reduced from urinating and the blood within urine was reduced. Now 3 weeks after the surgery I urinate constantly (every 1hour) its much less painful but does consistantly still contain traces of blood, this is from the irriation from the stents I am told.

My next operation is now set for the 9th of Feb. I cannot wait. The stents are best descibed as misrable at best. They ache alot - the pain is from my lower back to my testicles. Its difficult getting comfortable at night and can slow me down during the day in my day to day working life.

Things I have found which are a great help.

- A Hot water bottle jammed in my lower back when at my desk at work also at night if I'm struggling. Its not like it makes the pain go away - but the hot feeling is relaxing and over shadows the aching.

- I try to avoid pain killers in the day - I dont like the thought of pill popping constantly, But if I'm struggling one of the suppositories 30mins before bed will usially get me through most of the night.

- Drink water - lots of water. Ive also been enjoying hot water with lemon and honey.

Apart from that - good luck people. Its a hard slog with the stents. Ill let you know how I go after my second sesion of Lithotrpsy on the 9th.

(One thing I am very glad about is here in Australia they do the operation under general anesthetic where as many of the reports from USA that I read seem to be under local - Eeeeeek My heart goes out to you)

Regards

Ryan 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks very much for the info everyone! Good to know I'm not just being a baby with this stent/lithotripsy stuff. Trying to remain hopeful the first lithotripsy works! Feb 5th cannot come soon enough and I can't remember from my first lithotripsy but I'm pretty sure it's not general anesthesia here in US. Hope everything goes well for my other kidney stone strugglers!
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi . I hope all goes well for you and gets sorted in one lithotripsy treatment it's defiantly the best option of it works. Here in UK they don't use stents for lithotripsy pain killers or anaesthesia. To be fair when I had my 1st treatment it really wasn't to bad, and apart from the blood in my urine which lasted a couple of days I felt absolutely fine. Unfortunately the treatment didn't work for me so I'm now waiting for general surgery to remove stones from both kidney/ ureta.

Maureen

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hey Maureen,

I am very much hoping it works the first lithotripsy! Hopefully your surgery goes well too, just get those stones out! My first litho they didn't have the stent in yet and the stone was still too big to pass but they put a stent in and were able to grab broken up stone during that procedure so I felt great after that! I did end up in hospital yesterday bc I had a kidney infection that still wasn't cleared up a lot, so I'm on antiobiotics now and hoping that will solve a lot of the pain and nausea I've been having! Are you having any symptoms while waiting for the surgery?

Thx for writing - Meghan

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up