1 Ear Clogged going on over two months now

Posted , 4 users are following.

Well I've gone to my GP twice and all she says is that its nothing, just a sign of a cold (yet I've NOT developed a cold in the two months that the ear has been clogged and I've lost about 75% of the hearing in the ear with it being clogged, I've tried various methods to unclog it but nothing has worked). 

The issue started a month or so after I was put onto Gabapenton at first it wa just for a few hours or so that it would feel clogged, then one day I woke up and it wasn't going away - booked an appointemnt with my GP only to learn she wasn't in for a month, so I got the appointent for as soon as she got back. Was told if I thought it was an emergency to go to the ER (which I likely should have dun so - but I didn't as I didn't think they'd do anything). 

Well saw my GP told her I think I have an ear infection (something I've not had since I was 10 years old - i'm now almost 40), she said no its not an infection that the ear is clear and that she thinks its just from a cold. Well its not cleared up but she insistats it from a cold (that isn't developing). 

We're flying out in a few hours to visit the inlaws, but I am worried that the hearing loss is perm since nothing mediclaly has been dun for it. I'm kicking myself for not going to the ER but at the same time going to the local ER isn't always good (wait times can be upwards of 18 hours for their non-emergency classed people). 

Not sure what I am looking for, but I do wish to know if other's have had issue with gabipenton and hearing loss, or having a clogged ear has shows no sign of infection with 75% hearing loss that does come back once what ever it is is found and treated. 

I'm not on the drug anymore, but I do have Fibro and am a T1 diabetic (with no complications from it). 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I have a similar situation.. A clogged ear and hearing loss along with Tinnitus that's plain miserable. My left ear clogs and uclogs. I believe it's from sinus or even a eustachian tube issue. When the ear clogs, of course we can't hear anything out of it and the little we do hear is muffled. 

Similarly, I was taking gabi and I have fibromyalgia. I am not a diabetic. I suggest you see a good ENT that specializes in ears. Most GP's can't really help you with the ears other than try to clean them and usually that's not a good effort. A good ENT will be able to look in and get images on their equipment. You should also get a hearing test to see how badly your hearing is affected. 

If you do have an ear infection there is a way to treat that. There are some good ear drops that contain a cortisone to eliminate it. In the meantime, try to blow a balloon, that usually helps me and a good nose spray. Again, I think you're dearling with a sinus issue but I may be wrong. I think Gabi would cause a louder pitch of tinnitus but the clogged feeling is separate from the Gabi I think. 

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon. Flying with ear problems is just plain miserable. 

• Posted

Hi how do you know you have lost 75% hearing? Have you had your hearing tested? If not that is what I would recommend. They can tell you what type of hearing loss you have ie middle ear or sensorineural. That will give you some idea what is going on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.