1 Partner only and had genital herpes outbreak 4 days after.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

I was recently diagnosed with Herpes (Type TBD as the lab didn't bother to find out which type I had...) 3 weeks ago and I've gone through the whole DABDA stage. I've come to accept it and made peace with it. The question that's burning in my mind is... How did I contract it??

Background:

Virgin until a month ago. Only performed the sexual act (one time Vag receptive and the other time BJ and Vag receptive - total of 2 times) with my current partner. Before this, I've French kissed a total of 4 guys, not including my current partner. Current partner is NOT a virgin.

4 days after the BJ and Vag receptive act, Doctor noticed a lesion in my cervix and put me on a herpes medication. Refused to believe it because I wasn't feeling any pain or symptoms at that time but 5 days later experienced the symptoms. Met with my partner days later to discuss this issue with him. He hasn't had any herpes (oral or genital) symptoms that he knows of. His past gf's didn't have any problems (or no one has told him) and he's tested clean on his STD check. He's in the military and I'm not sure if the military checks for herpes (we definitely know they check for HIV though). He's not 100% sure either of the herpes part. So he's going to get retested again, making sure they check for herpes.

My question is.. Is there any chance at all that this genital herpes is my fault? I haven't had any symptoms of oral herpes or genital herpes throughout my life except for this past 2 weeks. As people can go for a long time without any symptoms, maybe when I was giving him a BJ, the oral herpes (assuming that I might have had it) transferred to his penis and as we did the inserting part, the oral herpes could have infected my vaginal area, which in turn have me genital herpes.

Is there a slight chance this could have happened?

So perplexed.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience after just two times! No, it is not your "fault" at all, since you'd never engaged in any sexual activity until your current partner. You either acquired HSV-1 from him giving you oral sex, or HSV-2 from vaginal intercourse, whether with or without condoms. He is the carrier either way, I'm certain of it.
  • Posted

First of all, sorry to hear about this. It's not easy but genital herpes is not your fault! Based on your story, it is highly likely that he was the carrier of the virus. Just because he doesn't have symptoms doesn't mean that he can't be infected and most STD panels don't include screening for HSV. Please don't blame yourself for this! Make sure he gets tested because he is likely the carrier.
  • Posted

Thank you FelisCatus and sarah2897! Partner and I will know soon by next week if he is the carrier.

I do have another question. Lesion was noticed November 12th, I didn't feel the symptoms until November 19th. I had another mini outbreak November 30th. As of today, December 4th, I have no symptoms on my genital area BUT my lymph nodes on my neck is tender, I still feel fatigue, and I wouldn't really call it sore throat because I have no problems or pain swallowing or eating food but I noticed the back of my throat is slightly red. It has been 3 weeks from the time of lesion seen to now and I'm wondering... has anyone had problems with their lymph nodes on neck still tender and neck tender and feeling fatigue after 3 weeks? I'm worried that I might have contracted oral herpes from when I gave him a BJ (althought I haven't had an outbreak in the face).

• Posted

Hmmm, usually the only lymph nodes to swell with genital herpes are in the groin, since that is nearest the infection site. I had only one node in the groin swell during my first outbreak. Not sure about an oral infection as well, without an actual oral outbreak or swab. Possible, though.
    • Posted

I have those exact symptoms. Lol

Try not to overthink. smile my vaginal area is fine but I too noticed throat red and swollen glands. I've been checked out by so many doctors and I'm currently not having symptoms other than a rash. Try to think positive. Replace negative thoughts with positive ones. You are fine!

• Posted

If you don't mind me asking Sweetheart5703, what did the doctors say about your lymph nodes, neck tender, and throat irritation?

I was so stressed out within the first two weeks that I couldn't sleep and couldn't eat. Lost 3 pounds literally in 3 weeks and I developed mild oral thrush (which I have yet to go to the doctor for, I've been trying home remedies right now).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.