1 Week Post op

Posted , 3 users are following.

Just over 1 week since reconstruction of Achilles tendon went to trauma clinic, back slab & shin splint changed for shin splint, a lot lighter and less stress on my knee, wound looks clean very little pain just discomfort, finding problems getting around the house on crutches, just not designed for disability getting to the toilet upstairs can be a challenge. Any one else put on daily injections of Heparin, my consultant always uses it until out of cast, told will get staples out next week, tried very small flexion today whist cast was off, very painful, severe stinging aroud wound site

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Just a plain conservative treatment for me, 7 months ago. Crawling around and bottom bumping up and down stairs, and don't tell anyone, but I did resort to the kitchen sink. I had the self injections for a month, presumable age (65) and immobility for the first month. Can't comment on the felibilty though, but I still have a weak calf muscle. The tendon is fine. Good luck, its a long tedious journey!

• Posted

Yes I know what you mean about the kitchen sink, I am fortunate with another downstairs toilet, even so It's still is a race to get there sometimes, you can't delay can you. As for stairs😠I even resorted to sleeping on the sofa, but it was too uncomfortable so still bump up stairs, but go up on my knees & down on my bum,
  • Posted

Hi Brian,

It's 3 weeks for me since a graft to repair a completley ruptured anterior tibialis tendon. Still in a cast with 3 more weeks to go. After a week I had to go to A&E because of the pain and discomfort in my calf, but the operation sites themselves were fine. The cast was removed and some blood tests taken that indicated I might have a DVT, next day an ultrasound scan confirmed this. I was on a preventative daily dose on Heparin and this was increased almost 4 fold until I had an appointment with the DVT clinic, now on 2 x 15 mg of Xarelto (Rivaroxaban) for 3 weeks then 1 x 20 mg for another 4 weeks. Also have an appointment at an anti-coagulation clinic.

I'm getting aorund okay on my crutches, certainly since last week when I switched to partial from non-weight bearing.

Hope the recovery goes well for you.

• Posted

Sorry to hear, because I had a DVT years ago they put me on xenaprin (I think) immediately after the op and I will continue for a week after my last cast comes off, I am getting the clips out on Tues, not looking forward to that but will be glad to be able to put a little weight on my leg, my shouders are aching, surprising really, I am an archer and pull a 45lb compound bow regularly although not for a few week before my op.but Iwill be glad to reduce my dependance on crutches

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.