10 cm fibriod

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all,

I have two fibroids, a 10 cm (transmual) and a 3 cm subseroal. I saw my MRI at the doc office yesterday, and it really scared me to see the huge ball shape thing in my body going all the way to my back. Anyways, she told me it might be hard to take it out laparoscopically as it is too big. I don't mind a total hysterectomy as I am almost 50, but I am really afraid of the recovery time. For those of you who had the total hysterectomy, how many weeks later could you go back to work? Also, has anyone here done Uteringe Fibroid Embolization? Thanks

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Naz86530,

Did your doctor discuss any treatment to try to shrink the fibroids in order to enable laparosopy removal?  A hysterectomy is a grand finale to put an end to all fibroids.  Considering your age, you will have less risk of them growing back if they are removed.  Because of my age (51) and my past surgical history, post surgical recovery for me is very slow, so my doctor did not recommend myomectomy.  So I have opted to shrink my fibroids and go for Focused Ultrasound Treatment which will destroy the fibroids using both an MRI machine and ultrasound.  This is a non-surgical proceedure.

• Posted

Hi Diana,

Thanks for the response. No, we did not discuss reducing the size fist, however we discussed seeing an intervention radioloigist for a Uterine Fibriod Embolization. She was not sure if I would be a candidate for that either but that depends on the radiologist. I did not bring up the MR US treatment with her, as I thought my fibriod is way too big for that. But, I guess there is always the option of shrinking it. May I ask how big is your fibriod?

• Posted

I had several fibroids one which was about 12cms.Embolisation was suggested but i was told it probably wouldn't work because of the size of the fibroid.I ended up with a TAH but i had 3 months of zoladex injections beforehand to help with the surgery and to reduce the size of the fibroids.Surgery went well and i was off work for 9 weeks with a phased return back over 6 weeks.The recovery was easier than expected but you have to remember that even though you might feel ok you can do a lot of damage.

• Posted

Thanks! I am afraid I might end up with a total hysterectomy too. I'll see the radiologist in Feb. She will decide if I am a candidate for embolisation.

• Posted

I'm afraid I think it is too big, mine is now 13cm, its grown on the shrinkage drugs, so I too am looking at UFE, myomectomy or total hysterectomy. UFe one radiologist said I could have though the arteries feeding the fibroid arent as big as theyd have thought ( probably multiple blood supply) & one radiologist said no & I know Ive had it for at least 10 years! But I have to do something for quality of life, this month I've had clots in my wee! Dr things may be clots stuck from fibroid but they still refer you into urology quickly just in case. They cause so many problems & you are right as I wanted laproscopic but our fibroids are too big & its harder for them to get it all laproscopically they have to morcellate (cut it up) inside. Many say this causes them to spore, so who'd want more! So even though its a bit scary doing open, if you want rid for once & for all, open seems better, weather its removal of fibroid on its own or total hysterectomy. I'm waiting for result of another MRI I had this week. Keep in touch with your progress I'm nearly 47.

• Posted

Thanks Heather. My gynocologist also thought it is too big to take it out laparocopically. She was not sure about the UFE, so she refered me to the interventional radiologist here at UCLA (I'm in Cali.). I am meeting her in Feb. Keeping my fingures crossed! I have no issue with taking the whole uterus out, as I am close to 50. However, it is the recovery time that scares. I just can't aford taking 2 months off work. Not sure if that's the norm, but many say that's how  much time they needed to recover. Since it is not bothering me too much, at least not yet, I might just leave alone and aks my doc. to watch it. Will see!

• Posted

My wife had ufe 10 days ago and she was back in the gym after 6 days. She still feels tired but with proper nutrition she is getting better. For 3-4 days after the operation she had extreme pain. If you decide on ufe, please get a prescription from the hospital before they discharge you for 10 mg 21 tabs of oxycodine. We made a mistake of accepting the hospital dose of a small dose with Tylenol. Ufe works for her, but can't say in your case. She was 45 and didn't want the much longer rehab of a uterine hysterectomy

• Posted

Thanks for the useful info. May I ask how big was her fibriod? From what I understand UFE might not be very helfpul with large fibroids.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.