10 Valium for 2mth & quit cold turkey a wk ago. Should I take a Lyrica?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I started taking valium to help with cannabis withdrawal. After 2 months of taking 10mg valium I stopped without tapering. I'm having terrible migraines and some disturbing digestive issues. I have Lyrica in the cupboard (prescribed a year ago for my pain associated with Me/CFS) but haven't had any. Should I have one to help with the benzo wd? I don't wanna get into another body addiction to have more wd to deal with, so, can I just take one Lyrica every now and then when the migraine is unbearable?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Addit:

I don't take any other meds except for vitamins and herbal sups (very high Vit C, B12 and magnesium, amoung others). I also make my own probiotic drinks and food - Kefir water, Kombucha and lots of saurkraut fermented for at least 4 weeks. I also do a fermented green papaya with tumeric, ginger and chilli for anti-inflammatory purposes...

These all work for my cfs and i manage well but I have aqddiction issues so I need to be really careful about prescription drugs with any addictive quailty... If I have to take it every day, I'll just suffer till the benzo wd has ceased.

Thanks, any help would be muchly appreciated...

Cheers, Kym x

• Posted

Wow Kym Im really impressed with your healthy supplements & I think that speaks volumes about your desire to get clean. I'm 24 years sober from alcohol & yet wound up on valium & dihydrocodeine - both of which I should go nowhere near - & I knew it so I blame nobody but myself. Addictive meds are a no no for me. Im on a very slow taper from valium & I really would urge you to do the same. My goal is to be free of val & DHC. Unfortunately I suffer from anxiety & depression & I believe I may have to continue with anti-deps. Please think carefully about a slow taper. As Mark rightly said your body needs to adjust. Take Care
    • Posted

24 year! I'm so impressed! Well done you! 
  • Posted

Hi there

Sorry to hear you are struggling. Unfortunately I don't know what Lyrica is but if it's a mood altering drug then I wouldnt advise taking it. You've already swapped one addictive drug for another (no criticism here - Ive done similar). Do you have a good GP who could advise you? A lot of GPs havent a clue but some are good. Ide def taper your withdrawal. You've not been taking valium for long but you can get dependent very quickly. A slow taper is best. If you can find a copy of the Ashton Manual. Heather Ashton is a Benzo expert & her book shows many tapering methods. You can download it. Cold turkey can be dangerous & no wonder you are having this reaction. Please seek advice re tapering & please let me know how you get on. Good luck & Best Wishes.

• Posted

Thank you, yeah I think that's a good idea about the group & Ashton Manual... 
  • Posted

Slow the taper, your body needs time
    • Posted

Thank you.

I guess I just wanted to stop... but I can see now that was a bad idea to do cold turks. Cheers 

• Posted

Thank you so much for the replys, everybody. I am the type of person who is hard on herslef (on all levels but learing not to be - to be present - and be gently loving to myself)...

I have 25 x 5mg tabs left from the last script... The migraines are unbearable! I'll take 1/2 a tab in the morn and half at night for 1 wk - then 1/2 at night for two weeks then 1/2 a tab bidaily for 2 wks and so on... i think that'll help. If I take some val and the faceache away along with my scary belly, I'll know it was the right thing to do...

Again, thank you. 

• Posted

Don't worry I did the same thing but luckily someone on this forum said no. I am in week two of cutting, dreams are driving me mental, shakes, mood swings. I have a huge sleep problem which really doesn't help. Yesterday crying, nightmare but gotta push on
    • Posted

Im lucky as Ive never had migraines but Im told they are horrendous. I am very hard on myself though like you tho I try not to be. Be kind to yourself and well done for going for the slow taper from valium. You will do it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.