10 weeks still some concerns.

Posted , 16 users are following.

Its now 10 weeks since my surgery,total knee replacement. Im now driving, going to the gym for exercises in water, stationary cycling. I can walk with a stick,have walked half a mile with no undue effects.

BUT. I still get pain in my knee,not unbearable but I can feel it. Will the site still be sore? ALSO Every time I move my knee I can FEEL rather than HEAR a click. Do other people at the same stage feel/remember this clicking. According to some on the forums this is normal. Also stiffness in the mornings,though this goes off after 10/15 minutes once Im out of bed. Any comments appreciated.

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi John I'm only 4wks post surgery for a tkr and I can feel a click in my knee, I'm back for physio in the morning so I'm going to ask if its normal.I have stiffness first thing but once I do my exercises it moves a lot easier, I will let you know what my physiotherapist tells me tomorrow, I hope I'm as fit as you when I reach 10 wks, what you've achieved is brilliant x
    • Posted

Thanks for that Glynis. Please let me know what he/she says. I asked my physio,who is great,but she couldnt give me a definite reply.
  • Posted

Hi John,

i had a bilateral tkr in early October so 16 or so weeks ago.  I was rather blasé about my operation because I left hospital with no aides and no need for physio.  It's all gone pretty well but like you, I still get pain sometimes.  I'm stiff and sore whenever I get up after sitting a while and a few nights a week, I'm woken by a terrible pain on the inside of one of my knees.  They are both still swollen and bruised around the scars.  I haven't really been for a long walk but the bit I do, knees feel fine.  I don't know if we'll ever be completely pain free.  We survived the op and it's got to be better than before it.

im saddened that people are still struggling with the pain and stiffness after such an operation but am glad I'm not alone.  I really wish you and everyone that goes through it, my very best wishes.

Sue x

• Posted

Thank you Sue,and the same to you. Youre certainly right about better after than before in our cases. I just hope the outcome is good for everybody.
  • Posted

It's all normal, John.  My 3 year old TKR still clicks when I've been sitting or lying in bed...particularly if I'd not had it straight out in front of me and at an angle.  It gets sore sometimes too.

My second TKR was a lot harder and had to be opened up again a year on...last September.  That one is very stiff again now and clunks repeatedly.

You are still at quite early days really, but you sound as if you are doing well to me.  The important thing is your leg being straight, so that you can walk properly (that's where my issues have been).

• Posted

Yes Patsyrose,my leg will straighten and bend quite well. I had a frend round the other day who had TKR a year ago and his is not so good but he has back and hip trouble which im sure dont help him

Thanks.

• Posted

Hi John. Your progress sounds good to me. Apparently,the clicking and clunking is quite normal,just slightly alarming! I'm 7weeks post revision TKR (the first was done in 2013 but wasn't aligned well and continued to give me pain so it was revised).

I had a check up last Friday with the surgeon and she told me to do what I can. I am still in quite a bit of pain and still take regular pain relief but the doc emphasised that it's still very early days.

I would say you are doing well,keep up the good work!

• Posted

Hi Nicky - sorry to hear you are still in quite a bit of pain re the revision. I am now just over 13 weeks post revision - I have the clunking & clicking far worse than the 1st one! I'm telling myself to get used to it, but to be honest, when it happens (stairs, longer walks) - I start to limp! I think it's a sub-concious thing!

I took painkillers regularly up to  a couple of weeks ago, then dropped them off day by day - the last few days I've actually taken them just for hang-overs!! (making up for 15 months of hell on strong pain killers!)

I feel the revision is good, although like others, I'm still stiff in the morning, or when getting up from sitting - I end up walking like an old woman until the walk is restored! But no pain, not like it was.

I slept well at the begining, but now have associated hip ache from not standing or walking properley - all I think I can deal with given a few more weeks/months.

We just want to feel normal again don't we!

Veronica

• Posted

Thanks Nicky. Yes true,its early. Hope your pain lessens thanks for your concern.
  • Posted

Hi John,

Sounds like you're doing great. I'm now15 months post TKR. Some days I have some clicking in my knee and other days I don't notice any clicking at all. I still get some occassional twinges of pain on the inside of the knee, but nothing that bothers me and it's only momentary. My surgeon told me that I could expect to notice small improvements for up to a couple of years ... and so far he's been right. Stiffness is normal if you've been sitting a while or have just gotten out of bed. For me, it disappears within about 10 seconds, but six months ago it took a bit longer. There have been days when I've walked over 10 kilometres and I don't have any stiffness or pain at all. I couldn't have done that 2 years ago.

I was still taking the occassional pain killer 5-6 months post op, but I think it's now been at least 6 months since I've needed any pain killers at all.

All in all it sounds like you're progressing very well ...and it's still early days. I think you're going to be over the moon in 6 months.

Cheers,

• Posted

Thanks SD. Thats encouraging. 10K would be great but not going to try that yet. One would be enough!! Im taking co codamol and naproxen may lessen in a few weeks if i can. 
  • Posted

Hi john 04330,

I'm now 21 weeks post L. TKR. The clicking sound you hear is completely normal. My surgeon told me at my 3 month consultation. My knee makes a sort of zipper sound when I straighten my leg. I returned to the pool for walking lengths at 11 weeks post then swimming at 13 weeks ( I swim every other day normally) I've had no problems at all really. I do feel stiffness mainly early mornings, but it eases once I get it moving. I have felt normal for weeks now. It's happy days. I'm free of pain and no limp. If you continue with your exercises daily you will get there. Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks Margaret. THats reassuring if surgeon said so. Mine is very reluctant to answer anything and when I asked he mumbled something I didnt understand and couldnt wait to get me out. I think the average consultatioon time was about 4 minutes. I see him on 8TH March and I will have a list. If he is as surly as previously we will have words.

Doing exercises,also in pool now. Good luck to you also.

• Posted

I had a left TKR in 2012 and still have pain despite having good range of motion. I had my right TKR in Nov. 2015 (3 months ago) this knee hurts less thant the other but still painful at night.
    • Posted

Thanks Jemma I think night time is worse. All the best with it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.