100mg of Thyroxine at 19?!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I've had an underactive thyroid since I was 8, also have a goiter too. I'm not overweight, and actually look healthy. I'm only 19 and my prescription has doubled since I was 10, meaning its getting worse even though I excercise everyday.

I feel SO bad about being put on 100mg at 19, is it bad?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Freya, I am 22 and was only diagnosed last year- I have finally found a dose that is right for me and I have 75mg and 100mg alternative days. So it's not just you X
  • Posted

Hi Freya, it's because you've grown since you were 10. Just like adults need a higher dose of antibiotics, same with thyroxine.
  • Posted

Hello Freya:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's Thyroid disease since 1987.

There are many reasons for a dose change.  Some are as we grow and mature our bodies need more, some are for major weight gain. We also can need more during pregnancy and also if we have nodules/cysts in our thyroid that could cause problems with the gland  and then if under stressful conditions.

Most people are on 75mcg to 150mcg and some are even higher than that. So it varies as we are having changes in our bodies over time.

I would not worry 100mcg is still within normal dose range.

Any questions just ask,

Shelly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.