10mg going on 20.

Posted , 8 users are following.

So today My Doctor suggested going onto 20mg Citalopram. I've been on 10mg for the last 4 weeks. During that time it has been a roller coaster ride to say the least. Still been finding too many doesn't days for my own liking. Bracing myself for the onslaught of side effects again, but hoping the drugs are going to start to kick in, and take effect. Will keep you posted. Will start the 20 on Tuesday or Wednesday. 

1 like, 101 replies

101 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey E.l.r,

My review with my doctor is in just over a weeks time, still on 10mg at the moment, I think he's gonna have to do the same with me and up to 20mg -

Still have some side effects at the moment and the worst is sleeping very lightly / and seem to be having an uncomfortable nights sleep and waking to being very tired and quite misrible and not being able to communicate on a normal level, still trying to keep my faith in the cit, have a weekend away coming up soon and don't really feel to excited about it, still managing a session in the gym every other day,

Keep

• Posted

Howdy Nick. Hang in there. The las week the side effect ain't been so rotten for me. Even sleeping better (though by usual standards still not great, waking up 4-5 times a night. But now instead of pondering wide awake, I managed to get back to sleep quickly each time)

Re the cit. it was starting to do its thing, but just not at a level wher I was coping with my life. As you know for me the getting up, and looking after myself personally are the hardest things, and my exercise has gone to pot. I hope to find joy with my running soon. My friend is coming over again tomorrow to take me out for my 2nd Tuesday evening run.

It's been tough as I'm struggling with work issues, and still working. Today I bit the bullet, and took a 2 week sick note. This tonight I'm stressing about not working tomorrow.

After my 2 weeks, I've got a 3rd week off on holiday. Hopefully some time for the 20mg to kick in.

Nice to hear from you. Take care. Also. Take charge of your meds. If you feel you need the 20, don't be shy to tell your Dr so.

Be good.

Ciaran.

• Posted

Keep us posted to how your feeling over the coming weeks,

Best wishes

Nick

• Posted

Hi,

ry not anticipating the side effects to be really bad take it as it comes I have had every side effect except vomiting which is rare anyways, I think the side effects out weigh the symptoms I was having unmedicated! The only bummer is not drinking a beer now and then although I have lost weight because of that so kinda the devil in disguise I guess I'm on 20mg too side effects after 2 weeks for me are slight confusion although other side effects I was having lump in throat have subsided. play the long game buddy it will be months long not days,weeks until the improvements appear.

• Posted

Thanks Stevo. I'm planning on playing the long game. Been too fixated with day to day at the moment. That sounds like a super smart plan.
  • Posted

Ps. As I had 3 10mg tablets left, decided to split 1 in half, and take as 2 15mg doses before starting on 20mg on Wednesday. Not exactly a gradual increase, but it made sense to me.
  • Posted

Morning E.L.R.,

IBeing on 40mg about to, hopefully, reduce I can hand on heart say if that's what yer Doc suggests then go with it. Each time I increased there were side effects, but after 20mg things evened out. Mind you I still got some, but they became like old annoyances which I did me best to ignore. Now and again I would get a "downer" but let it happen, didn't get worked up or anxious and then carried on.

I know others are in a worse or more delicate situation, but considering, in mine, I right up until 3 weeks ago (even off on the sick) I still had "that what made me ill" in me life (work) I coped. Here I am!

Good Luck and keep posting!

Regards,

David

• Posted

My bosses reply to my 2 week sick note "Can I call or text you with anything urgent". Hm, she still doesn't get it.

Meantime I upped my dose to 15 last night, which I'll repeat again tonight before beginning my 20mg tomorrow. Last night instead of stressing about work, I stressed about not working. I woke up at least 10 times last night, and it took ages to get to sleep to begin with. But that could have been the stressing about handing in my sick note. 

This morning no major additional side effects apart from the usual difficulty getting out of bed, and the return of the yawning. Mind you, the yawning could have been a result of seriously disturbed sleep last night. 

Today I took a leisurely walk to the pharmacy, as well as had an afternoon nap. Allowed myself to do things at the pace I felt like doing them. The bonus of not having to check into work and 'do my hours'. Yep, I feel a little guilty about that, but time to take a little better care of myself. Now it is 'Me Time!'

• Posted

Well, as my solicitor said "employers have a duty of care toward their staff" and it certainly shows that they do not know how to take car of their staff which in turn means they do not know how to take care of business. Sounds like a second rate wannabe manager somehow got the job.

This is no quick fix, as I mentioned I have now put that which made me ill behind me and if I was strong enough to fight I would have taken them for more. Their incomputance knows no bounds even in dealing with my solicitor I could see her thinking wtf planet are these eejits from! However, at the end of the day it was up to me and I just wanted to persue it no further than I was happy to go. In a few months I may kick myself, but for now it was the best decision to make.

DO NOT FEEL GUILTY! I did! As I started getting a little better I felt perhaps to should return, but my Doctor and Fiancee showed my the silliness of my thoughts. I did not even feel guilty when they tried to emotionally blackmail me by saying the 5! sometimes 6! people trying to do my job were under a lot of stress!!!!!! The only thing we could all think of was "WELL HELLO!"

So, I am still not fit for work, hoping to be reduced and when feeling fit my Doctor will sign me off and I'll seek out a little quiet part-time job. I have completely changed my lifestyle as my part in my recovery and started writing, doing art work and looking to possibly be a stress counsellor.

My leaving thought is, maybe we are looking at this from the wrong angle perhaps we should work on changing the work place and taking the emphasis off cure, out it into prevention.

What I'm trying to say E.L.R. is stuff em!

Keep posting.

Regards,

David

• Posted

"put it into prevention!" I'm sure Cita makes yer jords wumbled! LOL!
    • Posted

Sound words David. Thanks.

I've given myself 2 rules for my recovery time.

1. Try to find joy in something simple every day.

2. No daytime TV, as that's simply depressing.

This morning I've had my coffee in the garden, in the morning sun, with the dogs on the bench beside me. There is joy in this, and it's not even 9am yet. #result

Usually I'd be in work over an hour by now (despite not starting till 9) contemplating how I'll manage to get to 5:30.

I started my 20mg last night, and the side effects haven't been 2 bad this morning. Just yawning again, and feeling a little spaced. Easily to cope with while enjoying the morning sun.

I might go for a walk soon. Buy a pint of milk and a pastry for breakfast.

Have a super day.

• Posted

The simple things ELR smile make the difference!
    • Posted

I'm rock bottom this evening. #superdepressed
    • Posted

ELR time to find something that forces a smile maybe a comedy or something? research Cognitive therapy its a life chnager get some rest and stay positive you have a lot to offer the world! smile
    • Posted

Today started so well but is ending so badly. I reached a really dark place a little while ago. Been crying, and not had many tears since beginning citalopram, so that's significant. I remember I promised to play the long game, but it's proving difficult tonight.
    • Posted

Wow! That does sound so good and how simple is that? We obviously do need the better weather, but to just get out into the garden with your cuppa, the dogs and chill! That is what it is all about and your half way there already!

At the moment I have the back door open onto our decked yard which is full of plants in pots and Mother Nature is abundant everywhere. Bella our talking, don't touch me cat is out asleep in her favourite spot on our back wall, the rain has passed and baby gulls are calling to their Mothers!

AND IT IS ALL FREE! JUST WAITING FOR US TO ENJOY!

Mind you, I have to check the last remaining posts and then get back outside and finish painting the front of the house!

Have a great weekend and if you get a downer let it come and go, the sooner you do the sooner you can get on with undisturbed chilling and recovering.

Regards,

David

Ps we do not have a TV my Fiancee Ann and i moved in together last year hers didn't work mine had just stopped so we decided no more TV. We listen to Radio 2 and watch DVDs, catch up on iplayer (other catchup TV is available LOL!) and do not miss it. We and my 12 year daughter Charlotte Megan are going to see Jurassic World in 3D tomorrow evening so, we are still pretty much up to-date. Just don't have to put up with the wannabee celeb crap!

And breathe!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.