11days post thr and feel low Is this usual ?

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi I'm 74 and have just had hip replacement which I had put off for 10 years All went well but I am always tired and low now Is this to be expected and if so does it last long ? It's a bit like I remember baby blues Grateful for any help 

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Being tired to start with is normal, you have to remember that you have had a major op and rest a lot. Don't overdo it, it will get better as days go on, but we all have our ups and downs.. I suppose age comes into it as well, you can't expect to jump around like a 40 year old, everyone is different and will recover in their own time, don't rush and make sure you have plenty of help

Love Gill xxx

• Posted

It is normal, you are amongst friends here on this forum because all of us have or are going through what you are going through.

If you read through the different things that others a having it sometimes make your own problems seem minor.

• Posted

Hi jane

When did you have your op? I'm now 9 months post op but remember quite a few days when I was about 4 weeks post op then again about 8 weeks I felt like that it was down to expecting to be further along with recovery than I actually was and expecting more of myself, I called them duvet days😐 couldn't get out of bed for feeling low. Don't suffer with depression but I reckon that's how it feels. Give yourself a bit of time Jane speak to people on the forum I found them all to be really helpful there is always someone with good advice or a good word to lift your spirits. I'm now back to work can't say I'm back to full health but I'm getting there. Keep up with the exercises they give you Jane that also helps I hope this helps a little you are not alone out there keep in touch

Good luck

Vicki 😄

• Posted

dear jane ... when did you have your surgery ? it is a roller coaster ride - physically and also emotionally ... hard to put words to it when I feel down (which is often I am sorry to say )  - so now I try to just accept that I feel that way - it is okay - you are okay- you have been thinking about this surgery for 10 years - and had the courage to have it done ...

you might have many of these moments and also great joyful moments - don't be shy and share it with us ... 

accept where you are right now because it is perfect ... be gentle and kind with your self - 

have a calm and peaceful night -

blessings

renee

• Posted

I'm 2weeks 4 days post op 

the Blues are normal, it is a bit like 'baby blues! 

I have had a few melt downs as I expect many of us do. At one point I wished I had never had it done. It is about like having a baby, once you reap  the benefits, you will forget it was so bad!  

I  noticed today for the first time that I had no pain in my  hip joint!  With all the other pain I didn't realise that my hip was better. I burst into tears. 

it will seem a long slog, but honestly you will feel better every day. I can't believe the difference between day 11 and now. 

Just take it slowly, be kind to yourself, accept any help and company. You will get there. If you feel down come back here there is usually someone awake.  I will probably be here as I only average 2 hours at night and 1 hour during the day 

sleep when you need to sleep, doesn't matter what time of day or night it is 

remember, your body is recovering and uses all your energy, you will be tired, I feel shattered, but we will get there! 😄😄

i hope ole you have a comfortable night

lots of love

Carol😍

• Posted

Hi Jane it is early days yet I had my operation on the 14th April and I get day's when I get fed up and down I have to have my other hip done but am going to leave it for a while my pain has gone but I have discomfort when I sit Dow it is as though I am Sat with a mobile phone in my back pocket makes me feel a bit sick you take care Delphine
  • Posted

Thank you all this is the first time I feel able to be honest about how I feel My children and grandchildren are good but disconcerted by me being ill My own fault as I am a control freak and never let anyone see my weaknesses I nearly died with embarrassment when I shed a few tears in front of my son 40 years old)!!! I felt I had to phone and reassure him afterwards I can see the stupidity of that but I am used to being the strong one guessI I'll have to let that go !!  Thank you again I can see this will be a lifeline x
    • Posted

Don't be afraid to cry in front of your son you are only human and he will want the best for you and of course it is strange for them to see you not 100% let do anything to help you, it is so easy to say I am okay don't fuss when really deep down you want to be fussed over and when you want to have a rant there are people to listen especially me and we will all give advice when needed as we all been through it xxx
  • Posted

11 days is nothing, be gentle with yourself,

sleep and rest when ever you need to,

• Posted

I was really tired for the first 3 weeks. I had thought I would be doing lots of reading but couldn't concentrate  enough and didn't read a thing just pottered on the computer and watched a bit of TV.

I was also up and down quite a lot thinking I wasn't recovering as I should

I started to do a lot better week 4-5.

• Posted

Hello Jane

You have had major surgery- everyone seems to think that because hip replacement is such a common operation it is like having your tooth out! Not so- you have had your hip dislocated ,they have cut through muscles and other tissues and you have had bone removed and drilled. This is big stuff- is it any wonder we feel knocked about and down in the dumps.

Accept that you may feel like this some days and when you do, rest, sleep, eat something nice, watch a good film, read a good book or do absolutely nothing! This is YOUR time to heal and get well and don't feel in the least bit guilty for doing so

Do you have some help and support at home or someone you can call on -it does help

Sleep whenever you want day or night - it doesn't matter if you are out of sinc- everything will right itself in it's own time

Have faith - all is well!

Have a peaceful night and come onto the forum whenever you need to, also to let us know how you are progressing

Kind wishes Linda

• Posted

Sounds normal to me, it is major orthopaedic surgery and takes a bit of getting over. The other contributor can be a low hb from blood loss during surgery. They should have checked it before leaving hospital, might be worth getting a check from your GP. You can get supplements to help if it's a bit low. 

Sending some one get up and go 🌈💌💐

• Posted

Hello jane,

yes this is normal, your body has been thru a very traumatic experience, it's major surgery, so you will feel totally wiped out, so listen to your body, if it says I'm tired take a nap, do what you feel comfortable doing, don't push yourself,give your body time to recover, you will be fine, are you on your own? do you have family near by? if so it's always good to talk, we are all here for you,

good luck,

love,

Lynne x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.