12 months on

Posted , 7 users are following.

12 months since Ive had my TKR. Doing OK I think. Still domning physio,she says its going well. Driving,gym in moderation,swimming,can walk OK. But my knee still clicks every time I move,I still get the band feeling,still get mild pain but not enough to need painkillers. Anybody else at the same stage care to comment? I know this isnt a competition,just asking. Anybody in the UK know when you are sent for in order to be checked out. Thanks folks.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

It's always going to click, it's the implant, mine does but I don't notice it now.

i get stiffness/ band feeling, first thing in the morning and to a lesser extent after sitting too long.

I had an appointment to have X-ray after 12 months, it's to check the implant is secure and fixed where it should be.

I was told this was important, so if I were you I would chase it up.

• Posted

I had check ups on mine every year for 16 years , then the surgeon decided not to do check up unless I had a problem .
    • Posted

Thanks David. But the pessimist in me tells me mine wont last that long.
    • Posted

Positive thinking is required , keep up the physio , try not to think about your knee as alien and it will become part of you .
    • Posted

That seems a long way away even now David,but thanks for that advce
  • Posted

Hi John.  I'm 11 months post op & also had to have a MUA.  I bought an exercise bike about 4 months ago and that has helped SO much!  This has been a much longer process that I thought.  This was my 6th surgery on this knee due to a car accident years ago.  My bend isn;t what I hoped (I was only 110 to start off with), but I've adjusted.  I'm still sore after being on my feet all day, but not too bad.  I hope things get better for you.  Work it as much as you can!

• Posted

Thanks for that Shannon. I also ride an exercise bike,but in my case at the gym,as well as walking in the water and doing the crawl. Sorry to hear youve had so much surgery,makes my once pale into insignificance. All the best to you. 

John.

• Posted

Hi John

I am around 4 months post op, similar position as yourself. My knee does not click when I walk, but in a relaxed state I can make it click. I had no main ligament to reattach as snapped it years ago playing football.

I am not sure if all ligaments are put back with this operation. For me I hope when I have build the muscle strength back up this will stop the clicking as the muscles will hold the lower leg more closer to the upper leg. So the knee pieces are kept together

Good healing

• Posted

Same to you Clive. In my case its a year almost to the day. It clicked almost from the start and still clicks as much now. Surgeon said it was normal. I didnt altogther trust his word and I got a rash round the knee so I  saught a 2nd opinion from a more eminent guy,Im in Westfield. The 2nd guy prescribed tablets which got rid of the rash ans also said the clicking was normal. The rash has started to appear again so will ask for more tablets though ive got some cream that seems to control it. 

People say doing exercises stops the clicking but as Ive diligently done them,walked in  the pool etc Im not sure thats true for everybody. Anyway,if it clicks for ever for the rest of my life and I dont need another op Ill be happy mate.

• Posted

I'm around 12 weeks post left TKR, I get that clicking sound and can feel that my knee moves differently now. My surgeon suggested the clicking is normal but might get less as the swelling inside goes down. Am also in UK but my surgeon discharged me from follow up when I saw him recently as was happy with repair, though am still having physio.

• Posted

Hi Ruth

Thanks for your input. In my case,as said,the clicking hasnt got less. Not to say yours wont. I dont really care about it,its just the feeling that something might be loose that slightly worries me. But then again I reassure myself thinking if there was Id be getting more pain. As it is I get twinges when I move after being sat etc but no more really. 

Bit surprised to read surgeon discharged you.Mine,whose attitude Im not altogether happy with,said in march hell see me in a year. However,once Christmas is over,I think iM going to push it,as somebody suggested on here. Id still continue physio Ruth as long as you can if only for somebody else to check up on the TKR

Cheers John.

• Posted

hi john 04330,danie from south africa and are p/o 15mnths with my 1st tkr and have a little pain afte physio on the 2nd one wich is 3 weeks p/o, stil have some difficulty with steps but the knee is 100% also some clicking and its normal it is after all a metal thing we are bionic man lol i see and feel that the 2nd knee are going much faster on healing and are already walking unaided in the house outside i use 1 crutch, i wish some one can sell sleep as i am realy tired of all the pill popping lol hope you get that knee well and do not over strain with the pysio if it get sore stop and rest regards danie61
    • Posted

Thanks for that Danie. Sorry for the late reply,Christmas seems to be starting earlier every year. Good to see you are doing well,you are right about the metal and had to laugh about bionic man. My physio is absolutely terrific. She came to me when I was at same stage you were at,taught me how to use walking aids etc. Worth her weight in gold.I really dropped on there. I go to her now and she uses manipulation . When she is done I feel like Im walking on air.

Cheers and Merry Christmas

John.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.