12 weeks into tkr.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Had left knee replacement 12 weeks ago and am still getting a lot of swelling behind the knee and left side of knee. I also get a very stiff knee after I exercise and ice. When can I stop exercising 3 times a day? Seems like it's all I do. I am also tired all the time.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jeanne,

I am 5 weeks out. Have exact same symptoms? Also very tired after exercise or walking, but putting this down to lack of sleep and combination of meds.

Can you ask your physio about easing off the exercises.

Some days I can't do three sets, so I just do one or two.

I'd ask professional if I were you.

Hope it improves.

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

If you start easing off the exercises your muscles will relax too much and they will never get strong.  Instead of making the effort to exercise, incorporate the necessary movements into your daily routine.  When you are resting, work on the thigh muscles (these are the most important ones), lifting and holding your knee in a straight line will become easier if you are relaxed. Your scar should, by now, be dry and scabless, so go swimming.

All this may be a boring chore to you, but if you dont do the work, your rehab will cease to be of benefit.  It really is a matter of if you want to walk properly, you have to work at it.  It will not happen by itself.

You are tired because the anaesthetics are still leaving your system as is any debris from the operation + you have had a major operation, you cannot, like hip operations, have the knee replaced and expect to be hopping and skipping all over the place.  You should have been told all these facts, before and after the operation.

Rest, take your pain meds, take your sleep meds and exercise.  If you are not in too much pain you can go back to work.  There is nothing in the rule book to say you have to be idle.  Check your diet and add more energising/enriching foods to your diet. If you have a static bike; use it.  Long distance walkiing, lunges and other high impact exercises are out of the question, dont even bother to think about them

• Posted

Another brilliant post Sue, helped me also with some niggly thoughts, thank you xx
    • Posted

Thank you, that is very sweet and you are most welcome. Dont be so hard on yourself
  • Posted

Jeanne,  recuperation after this operation is our job.  I understand how you feel, however, sueisobol hit the nail on the head, you have to strengthen those muscles.  You have worked hard to come this far, it would not be much fun to start over at this point.  BTW I will be 15 weeks po in 2 days.  I do get up have breakfast, do stretches, ride my bike.  Then I do incorporate the other exercises into whatever I am doing that day.  Lately that has been working in the gardens outside when not working.  I did return to work part time, 3 days per week.  I clean houses, and I am able to slowly return, since it is my business.  I started a few weeks ago, helpiing to clean a house here and there.  Now it depends on the house, vacuuming and mopping in a large home is out of my capability right now..it is either or...not both.  

P

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.