12 weeks on.

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hello all, well been 12 weeks since my LTHR was doing so well up until week 9. My mum was taken into hospital and it took them 10 days to find she had 2 fractures in her hip bone at the back.  Unfortunately she was taken to a London hospital so i have been driving half way then catching train and bus rest of journey, as driving in London is all clutch work, stop starting all the time. I now feel my recovery has come to a stop, even though i'm getting plenty of exercise walking up and down stairs to different platforms and the long corridors of the hospital 😂. After i have sat down in the evening i go to get up and i am soooo stiff, have to stand for a minute before i can get moving again. Have given up with the christmas presant buying and done most on line as i'm trying to do mums for her aswell. Roll on the New Year and perhaps things will slow down a bit.

3 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Really sorry Christine, that must have come as a real shock, does this mean your mum needs a hip replacement or are they going to treat it conservatively ? I hope that it want be long though before she's home and maybe you can go straight there, she obviously lives local to London hence the location of hospital.

You do have to be a little selfish though, you have just had major surgery and you seriously don't want to jeopardize your own recovery because then you want be any use to your own family.

12 weeks is not that long really, I think you need to designate some of the criggy shopping to maybe your sibling's, or leave it, your health is so much more important, keep smiling

• Posted

Hi, Thanks for replying. They not treating it at all as far as i can tell. Supposed to be moving mum to a rehabilitation unit in a hospital nearer to where she lives, just waiting for a bed. She actually lives just outside London but A & E couldn't take her in local hspitals, they were all full. At least i will be able to drive to that one. Have now decided to visit every other day and brother going in after work days i dont go.

Hope you are healing well.  Thanks for listening to my rant xx

Have a great Christmas.

• Posted

You rant as much as you want, don't worry she will be fine with conservative treatment and the right PT, I'm thinking there not operating because its probably a fracture that will heal well on its own, how old is she if you don't mind me asking

• Posted

She is 84, and she had a knee replacement 9 months ago and only just got over that! Never rains but it pours, as the saying goes. Apparently one fracture at top of bone and another one a bit lower down. Doctor seems to think its just "old bones" but no mention of oesteoporosis which is one good thing. x

• Posted

I fell five months ago and I am being treated conservatively for hip and pelvic fracture, its not a easy route and a much longer and more painful route but its one that can be achieved with perseverance and determination, give her a hug from me and any questions just ask
  • Posted

Hi Christine. I'm 9 weeks and back to work. I do a lot of driving as well. I'm always stiff in the mornings and when I first stand up.

I just put it down to early days. Hope your mum is better soon. Get your other relatives to help out. Xxx

• Posted

Thank you. Well done going back to work, when i had my first hip done 3 yrs ago it took me 16 weeks until i went back. Worked in retail so on feet all the time and they wouldn't let you have a stall at tills or fitting room. When 2nd hip started playing up i left. Have to say was easier 2nd time around, only stayed in hospital 2 nights. Mind you since i left i haven't had time to work, what with grandkids and mum hahaha

Have a great Christmas. xx

• Posted

I'm a bit of a workaholic who loves her job Christine. I retired 3 years ago and lasted 3 months. I work now as an independent fostering Social Worker so I can choose my hours.

Worked 7 yesterday and had been out all weekend. Paid the price today as I'm very achy. So today I have done nothing.

I am fortunate that I don't have parents relying on me. Grandchildren yes. I'm so used to being so active that the last 2 plus years have been a pain.

Hope you are better soon but you do have to be kind to yourself and put your health first. Love and hugs xxxxx

• Posted

Oh Christine, you need to take care of yourself.... I am 15wks and find to much walking makes me stiff and difficult to move after sitting... 

​Is it really a neccesity to visit so much, sometimes we just have to be a little selfish to others so our recovery is not impeded.   My mother is demanding and I have had to tell her how can I do everything she wants when I cannot do things for myself.  

​I also care for my husband (cancer) so hospital is our 2nd home, and because of this my mother thinks I should be taking her to all her appts... 

​I sat with my mother on line doing her xmas shopping as I felt I was being hounded... all the rest of the things others in the family will have to do.

​Keep smiling but think of yourself.. sometimes it is difficult but if you do not heal properply how do you think your mother will feel.  

• Posted

Thanks for replying.  So sorry to hear about your husband, My husband had bowel cancer 10 years ago, is fine now but has checks every 2 years, as he was stage 3.

I am cutting down visiting to every other day, as it takes me 2 hours, sometimes 3 to get there, and the same to get home again. depends on connections.

As much as we love our mums it is difficult sometimes.

Have a great Christmas, and hoping 2017 will be good for you and your husband.xx

• Posted

I am 15 weeks post surgery and still have to stand up and reorganize myself when I start to walk.
    • Posted

Think i'm just too impatient, I should know better as this was second hip!

Have a good Christmas and hope your recovery continues to go well.x

• Posted

Hi Diane ,

what do you mean when you have to ,"Stand & reorganize yourself when you walk".

very normal. It takes the brain time to adjust to a metal implant. All the normal signals to move in the brain was removed with the damaged joint. 

Many times mes just to walk or Spode up took my brain signals a little longer until it was relearned as a natural nuero path to move thru signals sent to the brain to the prothesis.

its a odd feeling at first. It took almost a year before it a clicked.

Hopexxx

• Posted

Aw what a setback poor you . Hope she is ok .. Try not to over do it as your not going to be any good for your mum if you go down too ! I know what you mean about getting up and feeling do stiff it takes a while to move ... It's like a little wind up toy that needs to move to get going . Best wishes to you both x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.