12 weeks post op

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi All,

I'm sure this will have been asked already, however can anyone tell me if it is normal still to be swollen around the new joint? The swelling is visible and I can feel it when walking or exercising. No real sensation if I'm sitting or lying down...

Its worrying me that I might be having an adverse reaction to the new joint.

Thanks

David.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

David,

I'm 2 weeks ahead of you and just called my doc and sent pics of my leg.  I had the anterior approach.  I have a slight swelling on the right side of my scar in a 2"x2" patch (which is also the area that is numb).  That area gets red after I exercise which was why I called him.  I was told that veins and nerves are busy re-forming in that area and unless it is draining or I have a fever, it's probably not a worry.

• Posted

Hi Sue, 

I dont seem to have a fever, so what your saying makes a lot of sense. I'll give it a bit longer and see how it goes.

hows things with your recovery other than that? 

David.

• Posted

I experienced the swelling problem, too. It was rectified by three visits to my physiotherapist who treated the area with laser and ultrasound therapy. Made a big difference.
    • Posted

Hi, 

I have another physio appointment in a few weeks.  I'll ask about that. Thanks smile 

• Posted

Hi david, 

there is a lot of brutal manipulation of joint during THR surgery - the cutting, dislocating, fitting and banging in of prothesis ... I think it is normal for that area to be swollen - even now, and I am many moons post-op from 2THR surgeries, around the hip joint and femur it is still tender to the touch ... 

as long as you don't have a fever and it just looks swollen, I think it is normal -

of course, if you are concerned please make an appointment with your OS or GP...

How are you getting on otherwise?

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Renee, 

Thanks for the reminder of what we have been through.  I guess I need to be patient. 

I'm getting on okay thanks.  Other than the swelling, the main issue I have is getting the right glutes working again. They are still a bit weak and sluggish and the physio isnt too happy with the slow recovery. Because of the weakness its putting a strain on my adductors and lower back. 

How are things with yourself? 

David.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.