13 weeks and sharp pains down shins now.

Posted , 10 users are following.

I just went to the doctor who was very happy with my flexion and bending. He told me I don't even need PT any longer and to keep walking, swimming and doing whatever it is I've been doing. The last time I was measured I was about 120-122 in both knees. I had double knee replacement. My gait is good. I do not limp. This last week I have walked, stood and climbed steps more and at night have really paid the price. I had two nights where I really was unable to sleep because of the aching and pains going down the shins from the knees. I've iced and used heat but unhappy about this. The next day was difficult to walk. I'm feeling like one step forward two steps back. My husband says this is just "part of the healing process" and to just keep going. It's depressing, though. I'm tired of being in pain and want to move on with my life and be aboe to walk 1-2 miles without being incapacitated the next day. I was also told that I would just need Tylenol or Aleve at this point for pain but.....doesn't put a dent in the night pain. Anyone else experienced this?

1 like, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

shin splints can happen ,a little more rest here i think .  getting back to your life as you put it ,will happen and i must say well done great progress wish my bi lateral went that well .im still trudging along after 3yrs and also a revision ,so be delighted with yourself a few steps back is all it is you are on the best road you could hope for .to help with the shin splints have your feet off the end of the bed /or chair , stretch your toes back do it slowly and often it relaxes it
    • Posted

Thank you, Irish linda. I'm stretching off the end of the bed now...as I type. I also had a nice soak in the warm/hot tub and did some stretching there. That always feels better.

• Posted

You may be pushing a little too much. Sometimes (very often) less is more when it comes to aggressive rehab, especially when it comes to high impact like walking. Just back off for a few days. Streatch using a stationary bike, swim and water therapy. Sounds very much like the injury called shin splints where the tissue next to the bone is torn or badly bruised. Don't worry about losing bend by temorarily reducing excercise. Stay with icing and increase fluids as dehydration can add to the problem. I think most athelets have suffered from this at one time or another.
  • Posted

I hear ya.  I am at 10 weeks.  I named the pains "Thunder" and "Lightening". Thunder pains are the dull thudding long-lasting toothache type pain that reverberates from your hip to your feet.  Lightening pains are the sharp searing jolts of pain that go from your knee down to your shins. They don't last as long but boy do you feel them.  Luckily they don't last as long as Thunder pains.
    • Posted

Good analogies. Thunder and Lightening. Perfect. THAT is exactly what I've been experiencing when I've "done too much" but didn't realize it until ...after the fact.
    • Posted

Lol, good description ! I think the lightening ones are the nerves regenerating.
  • Posted

Everything they are saying is true Lesa.

The mad pains in shins, hips, quads etc. Sharp pains that come from nowhere and stop you in your tracks.  Like you I was doing far to much PT and walking and biking and using weights.  Absolutely set myself back. Take a couple of days off and start again softly softly gently gently you will then start to feel the benefit.  Trust me I know.  Also ice ice ice and drink loads of water.

You will be better in know time - but be prepared for set backs, they will happen.

Best wishes

Ann

• Posted

I'm so thankful for this blog and all of your insightful comments. I cannot tell you how much it is helping me. I feel less discouraged. I was beginning to "see the light at the end of the tunnel " and then BAM! I've had these nights of not being able to sleep and PAIN. I'm taking the different suggestions into consideration and feeling better already. Drinking more water is not something I had considered and a number of people have  mentioned it. Will definitely try.
    • Posted

Its a lifeline for us all Lesa.

Some of the things we tell you will be helpful to you and some not.

But someone else reading them will feel the benefit.

Had a long day in A & E with my mother yesterday and had to stand for most of the day.  I am paying the price today and back on the stronger drugs.  Will probably be fine again tomorrow but we all are going to have days like this.

• Posted

You're doing amazingly well for 13 weeks, and I echo what the others have said, you're very likely pushing a bit too hard. Ease off a bit, especially walking long distances, as its high impact and may well be contributing to your shin pain.

I'm 14 weeks out on left and 11months out from right and experienced exactly the pain you describe - it was with my right knee, at about 6 months postoperative when I was exercising like crazy to be ready for op #2! So although it frustrated me like crazy, I had to take my foot off the gas and go easier on it.

Hope this helps, but try not to worry too much, you're doing fantastically well!!

• Posted

Oh and I forgot, who was it told you that you'd only need mild pain relief at this stage? I bet it was someone who's not gone through the surgery themselves! There's no such thing as "the right length of time", if it still hurts then carry on taking the meds, especially if it's disturbing your sleep and/or impacting your exercises.
    • Posted

THAT is what my doctor said. I trust him but he's not the one up at night not sleeping. I know I'm doing well but still I'll be glad when I'm able to do my more normal activities without quite so much pain. I even went out and bought two new pairs of very comfortable , cushioned sneakers....Asic gels, and New Balance. Very comfortable with good cushion. That is why I'm so surprised about the shin splints(which is exactly what I believe I'm experiencing. I had them years ago when I was walking the streets of NYC in clogs miles each day. The shin splints were practically crippling). I changed shoes and rested my legs.
    • Posted

Ah, good old Doctors, eh? I suppose they have some sort of "model" that they work off, but as we know all too well the "typical" TKR is virtually non existent. Provided you trust him, and he's supportive of you, then that's good. So many people speak of terrible experiences.......I've got the most wonderful GP, couldn't have got through this without her.

The shin pain really takes your breath away doesn't it - I ended up seeing my Orthopaedic surgeon and getting x rays, I couldn't believe such awful pain was a normal part of recovery. But it was, he said there was nothing abnormal going on, and that it would pass, which it has.

And I really get your frustration at the restrictions your recovery is putting on you, just 6 months prior to my 1st surgery I was walking at least 5 miles a day, then bam! Finished! On a good day now I can do about a mile, but it's blinking hard work!

• Posted

Hi Lesa,

i am at 8, almost 9 weeks post TKR on left knee.i too have days when I feel like lm really coming along and then, bam! Like today; I am so stiff and feel so worn out. I am still in pt 3/x week. I'm very fortuante to have a great pt guy who is very knowledgable about joint replacements. He previously worked in a hospital that specialized in joint surgery. My bend is 115 w/ him pushing me a little! I can't seem to get beyond that now for weeks.

yes, I agree that Tylenol or alleve hardly touch the pain/discomfort, so I don't even take them. I haven't attempted as much exercise as you, so I am not familiar w/ the shin pain. I too, just want to get back to a normal life!! I'm not very patient🙁😝to say the least. I'm not going back to strong meds mainly because I do not like the way they affect me in general and stiffness is more a problem for me than excruciating pain. BTW, I am originally a New Yorker but have been living in Massachusetts for 34 years.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.