13 weeks post TKR light at the end of the tunnel

Posted , 19 users are following.

I'm 13 wks post TKR,and haven't posted for a while. In the first  weeks of recovery I thought I would never be well again and what a huge mistake I'd made having the op. I ranted and cried on this forum about not getting enough bend,being so tired through lack of sleep and being a helpless emotional wreck!!!! The support and help I received here was the boost I needed and also told me I wasn't on my own on this path. My recovery was slow but with encouragement and tips from you all I kept going. 

Now at 13 wks post op I'm well on that road to sanity and recovery, my swelling has gone down enormously, that tight band round the knee has improved so much that I only notice if I'm tired or done too much, I've learnt how to balance rest and exercise, my bend is a good 110 deg  I would have liked more but if that's the swap for no pain I'm fine with that. I still do the exercises and may yet get more bend.never say never. I'm walking mostly without my stick but use it when needed as I'm having my right knee done soon as it is very bad. I wanted to give back to this forum for those at the early stages that recovery does come and it won't take forever. I can't thank everyone on here enough fo their support. OFG , Shirley, Joan,Cheryl,sueisobel, Donna, Irish Linda,martinarvelo,lou1962, and all the rest of you guys out there, I thank you for your love and support throughout. Life is on the up!!!!!

6 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

That is GREAT to hear. The forum was a Godsend for me too - I however, wasn't as lucky as you, & in 3 weeks time, go in for a revision. It will be the exact date the primary was done, 12 months later. Last night I went out with friends for a meal, 3 hours sitting chatting at a table was enough to make my 12 month old knee swell, stiffen & be very painful, so although scared - I can't wait to be posting a message like yours 13 weeks after the revision!!
  • Posted

Awwww! SO HAPPY to hear that you have "arrived" to such a good place!

Your bend tops mine! I will be 15 weeks post op tomorrow and getting my RIGHT KNEE done tomorrow. I am at 102 for bend and -2 for straightening.

I know what you mean about feeling that you'll NEVER be able to do this or that ever again! I remember the PT asking me to lift my leg like I was marching on the morning after surgery when I was seated in the chair. I could lift MY TOES. That was IT! I thought to myself, " Holy cow! Now I have to concentrate on learning how to raise my foot off the ground???!!! You want me to move like I'm MARCHING????"

That pain I had about eight inches above my knee that felt like someone had plunged a STEAK KNIFE into my thigh...probably from the tourniquet... was with me in lessening degrees until about week NINE! Everybody was asking about my KNEE PAIN. I was telling them about my STEAK KNIFE PAIN!!!

Oh, yes!

Like you, I have gained SO MUCH from this site! Misery DOES love company, and we have ALL been in MISERY! The good thing, though, is hearing how there is progress of one sort or another along the way for pretty much everyone, and how we can look ahead with virtual eyes to our own recovery through the stories of others.

Our family members can be very helpful, supportive, compassionate, but unless THEY have gone through a knee replacement or partial knee replacement or knee surgery, or a nerve block or ANY of the stuff we have had to deal with, it is IMPOSSIBLE for them to completely "get" what we are going through!

Those on this site have BEEN THERE! Their empathy comes from really KNOWING what it all actually FEELS like and can offer support, tips, encouragement that is AMAZINGLY HELPFUL even as we struggle many times with success followed by plateaus and even some setbacks.

So glad that you posted with your update! Others will gain courage as they see themselves in you and your struggle. They will see that, with patience, things DO get better, and they get better IN OUR OWN timeframe.

MY RIGHT KNEE says "Hello!" to YOUR RIGHT KNEE! May our LEFT KNEES be good helpers and supports as we head to our next surgeries!

• Posted

Good luck with the op hon, I'll probably be a couple of months behind you,so will once again be following you for support!!! X
    • Posted

Thanks so much!

I REALLY am ready for this! (Of course those first few days I am NOT looking forward to, but I am looking forward to getting rid of this nagging pain that just WON'T LEAVE!)

Will update you after the BIG EVENT tomorrow!

• Posted

Are you having MUA tomorrow?  Mine is Tuesday.  Local block or general?  CPM or brace?  I am having general and a CPM on Tuesday  good luck!
    • Posted

Sorry Cheryl, Amy again.  I just saw ur other post abt ur 2nd TKR. I misunderstood.  Good luck!
    • Posted

Thanks so much! I am really ready to get it done! This pain...not acceptable!!

Will let everyone know how it goes!!!

• Posted

yipee !!!!  well done chrishappy  your determenation and hard work is paying off !!! im sooo happy for you ,as i know you were in a bad place at one time ,i think we were all there at one time and its not a nice place to be ,i for one had a long road with depression after my ops .so its great to hear good news and read such a possitive post .110deg at 13wks is very good when thinking of where you were and im sure you will get more as time is on your side .keep up the great work chris and keep posting to let us know how you are doing
  • Posted

I love reading the posts from those who are further along than I am! Gives me hope and inspires me to keep going!!

Thank you for posting your update! At 7 1/2 wks post TKR, and knowing that my right knee will have to be done, I am not yet to the point I want it to happen.

Your post makes me feel like the train in the children's story....I think I can, I think I can.

• Posted

I agree entirely with debz, at only 8 days out it's great to have something to look forward to. Thanks for posting, Chris.
  • Posted

Glad things are improving for you.

Take care and keep in touch

Love Sarah xxx

• Posted

Always good news when things begin to turn in the right direction. Keep up the good work. I'm sure you will continue to show improvement.
  • Posted

Long may you keep on improving.  Copy your posts, then when you have the other leg done; you can refer back to it.

Well done and thank you for your kind words

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.