13 year old with Hemiplegic Migraine

Posted , 3 users are following.

A FEW MONTHS AGO MY 13 YEAR OLD GRANDSON WAS DIAGNOSED WITH HM AND THIS CAME AS A SHOCK TO ALL THE FAMILY HE WAS A VERY FIT HIGH LEVEL SWIMMER.

IT TOOK ABOUT FIVE WEEKS TO COME UP WITH A DIAGNOSIS AND HE WAS GIVEN PROPANALOL 40MG TWICE A DAY TO CONTROL THE PROBLEM.

HE SUFFERED WITH RIGHT SIDED PARALYSIS AND SPEECH SLURRED AND TEMPORARY BLINDNESS IN HIS RIGHT EYE.

HE WAS SLEEPING UP TO 15 HOURS A DAY AND WAS A WALKING ZOMBIE.

IT WAS VERY DEBILITATING AND HE WAS HAVING DAILY ATTACKS.

HE COULD NOT DO THE THING HE LOVED MOST SWIMMING AND HE WAS DEVASTATED.

I WANTED TO TRY AND HELP HIM SO I SPENT MANY SLEEPLESS NIGHTS RESEARCHING THIS CONDITION WITHOUT ANY SUCCESS.

I DECIDED TO RESEARCH EVRY VITAMIN KNOWN TO MAN LOOKING AT THE SIDE EFFECTS AGAINST COMPARING THE BENIFITS.

IF THE SIDE EFFECT WAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE NERVES OR BRAIN I DISCOUNTED THESE VITAMINS.

I NARROWED EVERYTHING DOWN TO THE B VITAMINS AND CALCIUM AND MAGNESIUM.

I ALSO CUT HIS PROPANALOL DOWN BY HALF TO 20 MG TWICE A DAY.

EACH MORNING HE TAKES HIS PROPANALOL 20MG AND ABOUT AN HOUR LATER HE TAKES VITAMIN BI-B2-B6-B12 WHICH YOU CAN BUY AT ANY CHEMIST OR HEALTH FOOD STORE AND BEFORE HE WENT TO BED HE TOOK HIS SECOND 20MG OF PROPANALOL AND HIS CALCIUM AND MAGNESIUM AGAIN YOU CAN BUY THEM FROM

A CHEMIST OR HEALTH FOOD STORE.

FOR SEVERAL WEEKS NOW HE AS BEEN LOOKING FINE NI SIDE EFFECTS AND NO ATTACKS OF THE CONDITION.

HE IS BACK TRAINING IN THE POOL.

IT IS STILL EARLY DAYS BUT I AM OPTIMISTIC AT THIS POINT AND I URGE EVERYONE WITH THIS CONDITION TO AT LEAST GIVE IT A TRY AND SEE IF IT HELPS ANYONE I WOULD BE VERY INTERESTED IN THE OUTCOME.  

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello edwin well done for doing so much research. I too suffered migraines frequently and I was prescribed Propranalol but it reduced my blood pressure so low I once fell down the stairs whilst having a dizzy spell so my doctor took me off them. However like you I did some research and decided to take Magnesium and B vitamins. I couldn't believe the change in me nor could my husband. My migraines are so infrequent now I cannot remember when I had my last one. I hope your Grandson continues to be well.
    • Posted

Hi - Its so lovely to read a sucess story.

I too suffer daily migraine and manage with Imigran. Can you tell me what doses of Magnesium and B vitamins you take - can you get one tablet that includes Vit B1, B2, B6 & B12 ? I am also menopausal so sure that contributes.

I hope you continue to stay migraine free

• Posted

Hello carol I take 400mgs Magnesium twice a day. When I did my research this was the recommended dose for reducing the frequency of migraines. I also take a multi B vitamin tablet that also contains vitamin B daily. I buy them both from a health food shop.
    • Posted

Hi Carol I bought the calcium and magnesium from boots chemist and they come in 1 tablet once a day and each contain 90 tablets and cost £7.99 so you only need to buy them every 3 months. The B vitamins I had to buy separate in 30 day plastic bottles again 1 a day of each b1-b2-b6-b12 I got these from boots and tesco pharmacy the cost of each is around £3 the dose is regulated by the once a day instructions so one a day is enough
    • Posted

one more question - how long did the vitamins take to have a positive effect - I purchased yesterady (managed to get a Vit B comples from Boots with all 4 B Vits in that you mentioned).

Keeping everything crossed x

• Posted

Hi Carol give it at least a week more but also take the calcium and magnesium each night I have just bought my grandson some Calcium and magnesium from boots buy 2 get one free 180 tablets in each which will last a long time for £8.69 each with 1 free my grandson is only 13 so it may take a bit longer for you so please persivere good luck
    • Posted

Thanks so much Edwin - i bought the boots calcium and magnesium too & started that yesterady too biggrin - i will let you know how i get on - im so glad its helped your grandson - children shoudlnt have to suffer xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.