13 YO Daughter on 25mg just got upped to 50mg MOMS worried! ADVICE?

Posted , 3 users are following.

My daughter has been diagnosed with depression, social anxiety and mild panic attacks. She was recently prescribed 12mg Sertraline to start for 4 days then 25mg Sertraline thereon. She has now been on 25mg for 3 weeks and has told me she is in the darkest place. She cannot feel one emotion and feels she has lost love for those she loves. VERY scary for a mother to hear, but happy we have such an open line of communication. Trip to psychiatrist yesterday prompted an increase to 50mg which we started today. After reading quite a bit about upping the dose I am so afraid. I monitor my daughter very closely, we talk constantly, and any sign of danger we are back in to the Dr. Can anyone offer and firsthand experience, advice. Should we have been on the 25 longer, how long should we wait to see the 50 kick in. She has stated she has no desire to be here anymore nothing to live for no love or happiness within her, but NO PLAN for anything. We talk all the time about how she is feeling. She is just hoping this will help her in conjunction with CBT therapy.  

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Poor you,

I feel for you and it must be so hard when your precious child is not only ill, but you are concerned they may hurt themselves. I am a mum to two teenagers, 18 and 15, luckily for me this is not sthg that either of them has ever suffered from, it must be a very diff. position to be in.

I have myself taken sertraline, and still do. I am in early 40's, and have taken for last 2/3 years. 

Treatng children with ADs is very diff. to treating adults though. I know many psych's will not use AD's unless they really have to.

With regard to onset of action, in my case and most evidence, is that it takes 3/4 weeks to start to kick in. Motivation can be one of the first thinsg to return, thus the need to really keep an eye on your daughter in this early stage. 

As an adult I have taken 50mg, 100mg and even 150mg at my worst, although am now back on 50mg, You may find that now your daughter is on 50mg that it has more of an effect, the 25mg will have eased her over most side effects of starting which include nausea, tiredness,...

I would hope that you star to see an effect within a couple of weeks, but I know that treatig adolescents is very diff. to treating adults. Just being a teenager with all the hormones etc is stressful enough, and I have gone through 2 years of my son being very volatile and moody, which is tarting to settle now at 15, and he's not ill, just a male teenager I get told a lot !

I wish you both all the best, be vigilant and show her love, and try to remind her that tomorrow or next week she may feel very different to how she does today....God bless xx

• Posted

Holly1974 Thank you for your kind words and advice. We oddly are the closest we have been in years (coming our of a divorce) we were so close when she was little and then when I left her dad a few years after and the depressions and axiety set in after changing schoools and being bullied. I am thankful for the love and closeness we have now. I will hold her close, cry with her and be there every step of the way and go to the ends of the earth to help her with this. And THIS I tell her EVERYDAY <3

THANK YOU!

• Posted

Hi, I had been in the place where your daughter is now. I am in my early 40s  and looking back I have had OCD, anxiety, depression since 4th grade but it was never treated until my first big official attack in my first or second year of college. I think it's incredible that you are taking an active role in seeking treatment for your daughter. I commend you for being a caring, loving parent. 

I agree with the doctor that she should try upping her dosage. Tell her the next 2 - 3 weeks is the worst it will get and that she will get better. Usually it takes 6 weeks to feel your appetite improve but 8 weeks to see the beginning of the recovery. 

I think what you can best do for your daughter is to try not to display any fear as this will not help her condition. Try to act normal, like your guys had experienced this before and it's just a phase you guys are going through and that she'll get over it. Let her know how much you love her, remind her this is a phase she's going thru, reassure her that she can and will get better, and keep the line of communication open, and try to convince her their are better days ahead, that what she feelings come and go, and that she was happy before and she'll be happy again. Also, try not to put too much expectations on her on anything, especially on getting well. Reassure her that she can take all the time that she needs to get well, and there's no pressure in anything. 

I hope and pray for the best for you and her. Take care.

Xx

• Posted

I love your response. Thank you so much for your advice. I love the advice of putting no expectations on her right now as she does not need the added stress. I will absolutely do this. I will remind her of happy days and that what she is feeling comes and goes. I phrase it as we are in the clouds right now and clouds always clear and when they do there is sunshine and we will get your sunshine back!

Thank you so much <3

• Posted

Yep, recently I went thru a major attack and this was my first attack with this husband - I was previously with the same guy in college thru all my previous attacks and we were together for 15 yrs altogether but only married for 5 yrs - so with current husband we were only married about a year and a half when this attack happened in early Nov. - and he said what I went thru was stressing him out and scaring him, and knowing that it stressed and scared him only further stressed me out and scared me even more! And he kept asking how I was feeling each day and it made me more anxious because it was like he was putting pressure on me getting well soon. He had his first and only depressive episode in his mid forties after his mother passed away and he was off from work for 2 months and it made me feel like that was the time he allotted me to be back to normal even though unlike him, I have been living with this condition all my life, on and off with these attacks for more than 2 decades. We then finally had a couple of fights and I told him that there should be no timeline for me to get well although the med should start to work by 2 months mark.

And so, as much as you want your daughter to heal soon, you can't rush it. Try not to ask her how she's feeling a million times a day, once or twice is fine. You could sort of see how she's feeling. I find it makes me feel much better when my husband said, Is there anything I can do for you? Let me know if you need anything or if you want to do something, talk or take a walk, etc. I am right here if you need anything, just holler. Or, Is there anything I can get for you? Is there anything I can do to make you more comfortable? 

And if you are fearful that she'd do something stupid, try to be in her presence but do your own thing, read a book or magazine, knit, etc. or what you normally do. Of if she's in her room, take a peak inside now and then and be honest when you do, say something like, Just checking to see if you need anything. biggrin

You will go thru many feelings, fear, frustration, and anger.  I know how exasperating and tiring it can be for the caretaker but we are here for you. And remember, your daughter doesn't want to be like this. And whatever you're feeling, she's feeling much worse than you - that's why she's on med. And quite frankly, some of what's she's feeling is the side effects of the med. 

Just remember. She WILL get better. Be patient, try to stay positive, hang in there, give it a few more weeks. 

• Posted

GodsServent or Godsend ?? Your words are very powerful and wonderful. Thank you! I felt by asking her how she was feeling (a few times a day) was making sure she was in a good place but now I see your point so clearly. I do the others as well but more ask if she's ok I will switch! Such wonderful advice thank you.

Your husband sounds amazing and I hope you have found peace with your conditions! 😇

Thank you so much for your words 💕

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.