14 sleeps

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi all you lovely people

its 14 sleeps until my surgery and I have been wracking my brain regarding seating, we only have big squishy sofas, I have a carver chair that we bought extra seat pads for but I looked at it last night and just could'nt face using it for 6 weeks so.... I bought myself a leather recliner with cup holders smile

they call it a cinema chair? what are your thoughts on reclining chairs?

Big hugs to all

Kim xxx

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Kim I had my surgery just 2 days ago there, when I went for my pre- op for the sugery I got told I wasn't aloud to sit on reclining sofas or chairs till I had my 6 weeks check up with the doctor. They ask you to sit on a hair with arms so it's easy to get up and there no risk dislocating your new hip.

Thanks

Megan x

• Posted

Hi Megan

Its a really firm chair with arms, hopefully I've not wasted £200.00

they did'nt mention anything to me when I went, they were just concerned about the hight

How are you doing?? not too sore I hope xx

Kim

• Posted

Hi Kim.

I would ask your doctor as I got told it was a no as I have a reclining sofas at home and they said I can't sit on it I've got a chair at home with arms and a back they gave me a pillow for me to make it higher.

• Posted

Hi. I had a hip replacement 8mnths ago. Recliners are a definite no no I'm afraid. For the first couple of months its easy to dislocate the hip and a recliner will do this. When you sit your knee has to be lower than your hip. The hospitals in NZ lend you chairs, high toilet seats, shower chairs plus anything else you need for free for the first cple of months, not sure if they do in other countries. It took me 3mnths to pluck up courage to sit on my couch and dining room chairs after my op lol. I was so scared of dislocating it I wasn't taking g any chances lil. Good luck with yr op :-) Karen.

• Posted

Hi Kim,

First of all, I wish you very good luck with your surgery and time will fly now it's so close.

I am in France and I had the anterior approach. My surgeon stressed that recliners should not be used at least for the first six weeks, then you should clear it with your surgeon for after.

Perhaps you could exchange the seat for something more appropriate to your circumstances for a while.

• Posted

Hi Kim

I used a recliner and it was a God send , wasn't told I couldn't use it just told to keep to the 90 degree rule when getting up and down

All the best

Hilary

• Posted

I do know you hip must be lower than your knee when sitting....  all the best ! (I have 13 sleeps till my surgery) it's all I thin of every minute of every day!!!

• Posted

It's the other way round Annette - your hip has to be higher than your knee

• Posted

I canno believe I said it backwards! OMG I need to have my coffee before responding knee below hip for sure! Hip higher than knee!! (Nomore booths at restuarants for me)
  • Posted

hi guys,

this is the one I've bought and it can be locked in an uprifgt position

fingers crossed it's ok smile

big hugs kim

• Posted

Hi Kim

Nearly identical to the one I bought especially for my THR. It was absolutely brilliant. Is it a dual motor riser/recliner or just recliner? I'm 7 weeks post-op today & sold my recliner last week as I don't need it anymore. I'm unsure as to why people are saying you shouldn't use them unless it is a manually operated one where you have to physically push the leg part down. Mine reclined flat & I slept in it as well. Although you must stick to the 90deg rule, you will find you can do some things that I thought would be totally off limits. It was one of the best buys pre-op along with the frame that fits around your toilet x

• Posted

its 50cm to top of seat which is perfect for me. I took a screenshot and saved it as a PDF  I have teenagers smile 

• Posted

Hi Fernlady

Its manual, £150.00 off ebay smile ive contacted the supplier and it can be locked in an upright position

its classed as a cinema chair so I think one of my teenager will claim it.

I cant wait to be pain free and mobile again smile

• Posted

If its manual just be careful if you recline using your legs x
    • Posted

Same here with me  Fernlady.  I found the recliner to be wonderful, comfortable and, like you I slept in it.  I think The forbidden ones are manually operated as it is very hard to force it down, putting  a lot of pressure on your knees  and hips. Check with doctor Kim89222. Best of Luck I had my second THR in Jan, made good recovery both times, pain relief is wonderful. 

• Posted

Hi,

The one I've ordered has a lock so can lock it in an upright

position.

• Posted

Hi kim

I have had both hips replaced about 5 months ago. My sofa is a corner sofa and has electric recliners at both ends and l was told it was fine as long as l was sitting high enough which it was quite high anyway but l got a blanket and folded it and sat on it just to make sure l was high enough. I had 1 hip done in dec and the other in feb and my couch was the place l spent most of it l even sleep on it part of night as l get a sore back if l lie on my bed to long. 2 weeks l get my 1st knee replacement so l start the process all again. Lol. But l am so happy with my new hips.. it took a while but l am finally uses to them .

Good luck its 16 sleeps to my 1st knee replacementx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.