15 days sober and feel terrible.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hey guys! So.. I turned to alcohol after my Mother passed away. It escalated into a problem quickly. Ive been drinking 12-15 beers on a daily basis for about the last 3 years. For a while it was a source of pure relaxation which is obviously why i continued but The last several months i started to develp terrible allergies, sinus issues, extreme dizziness, anxiety, low blood sugar attacks. Not sure if this was some sort of histamine intolerance or what but alcohol no longer relaxed me, it seemed to be causing these symptoms to be worse. Desperate for relief I quit drinking cold turkey.

I have not had a drink in 15 days nor do i have any urge to. The problem is, I thought i would start to feel better by now when in fact i feel worse. I have been experiencing racing thoughts, a constant feeling of nervousness. Best way to describe it would be to funnel 3 pots of coffee and try to force yourself to sit completely still in a chair. I gave up coffee months ago so caffeine cant be the contributing factor . It was not this intense or bad before quitting alcohol.I have dealt with anxiety for years and have a good grasp on how it works, this feels different. This feels like my body is being flooded with constant adrenaline rather than something mentally triggering it. I also find that i am having some stomach issues lately, trouble going to the bathroom which ive never had issue with until i stopped drinking, also find that i have acid reflux symptoms, again did not have this issue till quitting alcohol. I am extremely exhausted, I can barely get out of bed in the morning even after 8 hours of sleep, at same time i am wired at night and feel like i could stay up all night. My urine since quitting has also had an unusual oder. Ive read this could be frm my body getting rid of toxins stored in lymph nodes. Idk how true that is..

Anyways, the most unpleasant/unbearable symptom right now is this constant feeling of adrenaline being released. The nervousness. I have a bottle of lexapro from a few months ago when i had insurance. I am contimplating taking it but am terrified its going to intensify the feeling. Has anyone experienced anything like this weeks after quitting? Im afraid ive done some sort of irreversable damage to my body and will never feel right again. Thank you.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mc4102 I am not a clinician, but are you taking thiamine and a strong B1 complex because if not u need to. Paul on this site will probably tell you. Only saying this coz your symptoms mirror ones my hubby had (he is AUD) and he wasn't taking these meds until GP prescribed them. Do some research. Hopefully Paul will see your post. Best wishes

• Posted

Hi! Thank you!! Yes! I immediately went out and bought B1 and a complex from thorne. I started taking B1, D/K2, Magnesium, B complex, 1000 vit C. I felt calming effects at first but i feel like when i added the complex it made my anxiety worse? So then i got discourged and stopped everything. What a mess this all is. I really feel that this is all due to low serotonin. I think 3 years of daily drinking really screwed up my brain chemicals. I feel that medicine right now is the only thing that is gonna stabolize this but im dreading the lexapro not working bc i dont have the energy to play the "keep trying till you find one that works" ah this is just so terrible. Thank you so much for your response!!

• Posted

Alcohol Use Disorder. Covers a bigger spectrum. Much better than alcoholic. When I thought of alcoholic, it was the drunk tramp in the gutter 😧 Having lived with a person with AUD it can happen to anyone. This is a great site by the way. You will get lots of helpful advice and best of all understanding. Professionals, unless they have been there are not always helpful in my experience x

• Posted

Don't know enuff about meds to tell you that hon. Hopefully someone on here will be able to advise you soon. I just know that thiamine and b1 protects your brain. Have you thought about going to Docs about smelly pee? You could have a urine infection and that can make you feel very weird x you don't necessarily have to have pains when passing urine. Just a thought x

• Posted

That sounds like my old friend anxiety . I had all these symptoms you have listed except for the funny smelly urine . I was given omeprazole for the acid reflux and propranolol for the anxiety . I was also fatigued a lot and found it hard to get going always yawning all day even though I had only been up for an hour or 2 and had more than enough hours in bed to of had a gd nights sleep . I don't no if depression comes in to wot you have but it was in my case . The thing with anxiety is you have to pick yourself up even when you feel at your lowest. Mine was so bad I had physical symptoms my temples felt like they had been kicked in by about 10 people. Severe kneck ache and severe head aches that make you want to scream but you can't because that will make the pain even worse . And on top of that trying to give up alcohol addiction . My advice is Confront it head on smile through your teeth always try and be positive don't dwell on your worry. Give yourself a pat on the back when others around you are not 15 days sober is a great achievement and you did it off your own back just like that . You obviously have great inner strength in your darkest moments remember that and their will always be someone on here going through something similar to chat to . Sorry for terrible grammar and good luck stay strong

• Posted

Hi! Thank you for your comment! I am horrible at grammar so no judgment or worries here! Did the medication help you? I feel like its the only thing that is gonna help me at this point. My anxiety is so bad that the relaxation techniques, breathing, distraction, cbt, books etc... doesnt even put a dent in it. From previous experience with anxiety this has me thinking its a chemical imbalance. Years of destroying my body with alcohol has prob depleted my brain chemicals. What a giant mess this all is. I now know why they say to avoid alcohol/drugs while grieving. Im sure learning this lesson the hard way. Sigh. I just wanna feel normal again. I feel like i am non functional at this point. I really want to celebrate these 15 days, the longest ive gone in 3 years and is a HUGE accomplishment but the anxiety. The horrible ugly awful beast.. Anxiety.. Once again overshadows everything. What an awful awful condition. Id honestly rather lose my left arm then deal with this terrible mind conditon. Just awful!
    • Posted

The medication honestly does help propranolol slows down your heart rate I was on 80mg but then I moved up to 160mg and I felt great but then I looked at a app on my phone that measures your heart rate and it showed me my heart was beating at only 51 beats a minute which kicked off my anxiety I thought my heart was going to stop haha I laugh now at time I thought it was very real . So I've gone down back to 80mg and I feel good again . My anxiety was so bad I've had 2 mri looking for brain tumours because of my head aches I've had scans of my organs I've just had a blood test done for my pancreas as I was getting pain down my left side this is 2 years after giving up drinking . I've had the acid reflux tube down throat I've argued with doctors until I'm blue in the face when they can't find anything wrong with me . It turned in to a bit of a joke for them when I'd go down their like look who's back again but these are all real symptoms I could feel . The lady who gave me the breathing classes for anxiety didn't even no anxiety could bring on physical symptoms like the pain in my temples etc all they kept saying is you have to grin and bear it don't let it get to you which seems crazy when you hear them say that . When you have an attack that is not as bad as the last one tell yourself that . You need to drill these kind of things in to your head . When your lasting all these days without a drink give yourself that pat on the back . & try not to let your mind run away with you and thats coming from someone who is guilty of doing same thing . its time to Start taking your life back smile

• Posted

I am trying to view this anxiety mess as a blessing in disguise bc without it, I never would have quit drinking and i would of p*ssed my life away and prob died of liver disease. LoL. I now associate drinking with panic attacks and honestly can never see myself drinking again.. Once i make it out of this hell *fingers crossed* I never, ever, ever want to feel this way again! Omg, it is that AWFUL. I thankfully dont get chest pain. My anxiety comes in the form of dizziness. I feel like im gonna pass out and panic. Its a horrible feeling. I have been having sinus issues lately which cause dizziness, I think its a trigger to my panic attacks. Who knows. I am opposite of you. After watching my mom die of cancer, I have a fear of doctors. I avoid health checks etc bc honestly I wouldnt want to know. Absolutely not. If my doctor ordered an MRI, I would refuse. My moms cancer had metastisized to her brain and after watching what she went thru. Nope. No Thank You. I really wanna start the lexapro. I started celexa when my mom was first diagnosed. It was amazing. I felt like a normal person for the first time in my life. Ive never had panic this bad but once i was on celexa i could see a difference in everything. I didnt obsess about things. I didnt overreact. Things didnt bother me. Ah it was amazing. I was a FOOL to get off of it but i thought i didnt need it anymore. Big mistake, shortly after i started drinking, 3 years later a big ball of hell. Lol

I want to take the lexapro tonight but im just sooo scared its gonna intensify my anxiety. I really dont think i could handle it getting worse. I was just as scared the time i started celexa but diff is i had my mom for comfort. Just that feeling of knowing if anything bad happened my mama had my back. I remember the night i first took it, i slept in her bed with her (i was in my late 20s mind you lol) and was like please watch me lol you would have thought i was dropping acid lol I was that scared lol I dont have that security anymore. Sucks. If i end up in the hospital (of course my anxiety leads me to worst case scenario thinking) I ask myself who would i Call? I have friends and stuff but nobodys gonna love or care like your mom. Ugh. I am hoping to work up the nerve to take it tonight! I just wanna feel better!!! Thanks for responding and listening!

• Posted

Hi, I was on proprananol for 12 years and it was the best thing I ever did.  I had terrible anxiety which eventually stopped me going out shopping.  Depression set in also.  My doctor, when I eventually went, told me I was clinically depressed which I could not take in as I am the one that people come to to talk to and make them feel better.

The chemical in your brain does deplete, it is like a bucket of water with a pin prick hole in it, it slowly looses the water.  I had no interest in life at all, tired, lost my sense of humour and overwhelming jittery anxiety, my voice shook when I spoke.  Stopped cooking, exercising, reading, just longed for the evening when I would self medicate with wine/beer.  I could have happily lived in my bed day in day out.

After two weeks of proprananol, I suddently realised that I had an appetite again, then my sense of humour starting returning.  They were great for me; I would not hesitate going back on them if that god dam awful anxiety and jitters and dizziness comes back.

I don't know if you exercise;  I do regularly but running is fabulous for elevating the mood, you really do feel it in your head.  If you do not run try starting with power walking, that is just as effective.

You can break the cycle of anxiety with meds and exercise and you will never look back.

Good luck and keep talking - this site is the Business - yaaaay smile

• Posted

Hi. You may have read other posts on this site where there are replies from people with experience and knowledge. It could be worth finding them and getting in touch. There are several replies to a lady called Kentish on another thread. All the best. 
  • Posted

Hello Mc.  I am not medically qualified, but I would go to the Doctor about the urine problem.  It will have to be tested.  You will only prolong your anxiety if you just leave it... worrying about the worry !  I have high anxiety levels, I have to take Diazepam when it is really bad.  I worry about worrying so much... about everything.

I also suffer from allergy-type symptoms. My health is a constant pain !

Congratulations on 15 Days Alcohol Free.  That can only be good for you, regardless of the other health issues.

Do you take an anti-depressant ? I have that, as well.

I hope you fell much better, really soon.

Blessings,

Alonangel🎇

• Posted

15 days out. That anxiety is not all that uncommon in terms of starting Lexapro I would recommend against that without involving your doctor. The SSRIs can greatly increase your anxiety initially

In terms of messing up your neurotransmitters. Yes. We all have done that by drinking. However, there is zero evidence that a decrease in serotonin levels causes anxiety. It's probably why it takes SSRIs 6plus weeks to work. They have an effect on a lot of other neurotransmitters that nobody really understands. That said I have numerous friends who say that after a nightmare of side effects they have helped them a great deal. I'm no scientist but be careful starting an ssri on your own.

Be kind to yourself. Continue to try and relax,keep your mind busy and think of all the positives to come.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.