15 years old with severe pain under right rib cage! Doctors said it was a pulled muscle? Help!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've had a server pain under my right rib-cage for 5 days now. It started on Thursday night & went away the next day, until Friday night after my dinner it came back even worse and it hasn't gone since.

Sunday I went to hospital to check it out. I did a urine sample and there seemed to be a slight infection. The doctor thought because of the pain it was kidney infection and I got given 6 tablets (take 2 each day) 

I got the antibiotics and was taking x2 500mg cocodamol as well every 4 hours and it still was hurting. (My mum had a kidney infection in the past and knew i should've been feeling a lot better by then) 

I feel very sick and tired all the time, I know when i'm hungry but i've lost my appetite and can't seem to eat because every time I eat it makes the pain worse. Sunday when i got my temperature taken it was 37.5 degrees but today it was 36 yet i'm always cold & my head feels hot, for me.

The pain is always there, a slight dull ache almost feels numb under the rib cage and sometimes radiates to the back, and lower back.

The doctor said it seems to be a pulled muscle. I'd believe him, but this pain is seriously bad to the point where i can't go to school because i have to be so drugged up. And the nausea is horrible i feel like i'm going to throw up at any minute. (I haven't thrown up at all.) 

Any ideas? 

Thanks x

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Sorry forgot to mention, the pain is a dull numb ache, but randomly it turns into this sharp stabbing pain lasting for a few minutes. Nothing particular causes the sharp pain.

Haven't had any tests apart from urine 

• Posted

Hi Melanie 

i would go go back to the doctors .or if very bad the hospital .could be gallstones.

hope you feel better soon 

Julie 

• Posted

Hi Melanie

Dont think you have recieved a very thorough investigation hear, sound like it could be  gall bladder or liver inflammation going by the symptoms and the postioning of your pain, i think you would have known if you pulled a muscle! although you are very young to have gall bladder problems i must say.  id go back to your doctors and try and see another dr. in the practice if you can, i wouldnt let this go on for too long. could have whats known as afatty liver but a ascan would confirm this, id insist on having more investigations. hope it gets sorted for you soon.

Sue

• Posted

Thank you very much Susan for replying.

I was wondering why haven't they tested this more.. I've researched about gallstones and my grandmother has a server history of getting stones. Also i've recovered from anorexia this year and lost a lot of weight. 

Thank you again!

• Posted

Pulled needs rubbing and a hot pak..so they are talking nonsense..Especially if you are nauseated and tired. Have your thyroid checked and yes you may have had a pulled muscle but sounds like something else is going on.Docs need to take their time and do a blood workout.. 
    • Posted

Thank you, i think that now all of you have basically said the same i think i might do more to push further.. Just worried if nothings wrong and I kinda pushed for nothing. But i guess i'll find out lol. Thanks again. 

I think they didn't do a blood test because i had one done a couple of months ago. Idon't  know if that would mean anything?? 

• Posted

HI, Melanie 70871

I had this same thing happen to me My DR sent me to the hospital to blow into a baloon, What this will show if you are having an infection of the lining of your stomach,my test came back postive for infection and I had to take antibiotics for 2 weeks I hope this helps you ,

• Posted

Oh really? How does the balloon show this? Thats a very strange but obviously useful way to test it wow haha. 

Thanks again!smile

• Posted

It might be an idea to check whether your bladder is retaining urine; the bladder doesn't always empty; and you are none the wiser. We can drink a lot of fluids and not realise it; and our kidneys then have a lot of extra work to do when we eat and drink ; to filter waste .. the retention can go unnoticed for years; and can result in pain when you eat and drink..... it is also of course kidney related and can cause kidney damage if left untreated.. when the fluid backs up..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.