17 weeks today since I've last had codiene!!!!

Posted , 7 users are following.

It's been 17 weeks today since I last touched any codiene containing medication!!!! I just want to say to anyone struggling with this nasty opiate addiction and believe me I was addicted for 14 years taking up to 30 codiene daily and not low strength, they were prescription strength 30/500 plus using over the counter codiene products at the same time, if your considering life without them ??? Please please do it!!!! Take the plunge and sooner rather than later. I decided weaning off was not an option as I was massively over using and would struggle so to cut it out completely was my option, I decided the date April 26th and that was it the first day of the rest of my life and a good one, one where I was in control of myself again and not being controlled. I went cold turkey, I did not research on symptoms as I knew this would probably deter me I just went head first into it!!!! I promise you all it has been the best thing I've ever done and it will be for you, please believe me!!!! I wish anyone in this position the best luck in the world cause you will need it but by gosh it's so worth it to get your life back. I still suffer pain from my original condition I started using the opiate for but I've researched my condition and joined forums and am now managing the pain using non medicinal products such as patches gels and tens machine alongside attending pain management support groups, physiotherapy and using diet and vitamins and minerals and at least with these I'm in control. Good luck to anyone thinking of detaching from this disgusting drug, I'm here for you if you need any advice or support xxxx

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Wow, amazing!! That would have been so tough, congratulations on making it this far.

You deserve to be very proud of how far you've come. I'm in awe, and you give me hope.

I hope one day to write a similar post. Keep on fighting the good fight.

• Posted

Congratulations on coming off your addiction to codeine. Thats fantastic but I must take issue with your description of it as a disgusting drug.  I have been taking co-codamol 30/500 for 10 years for chronic widespread pain and have never in all that time taken more than 6 tablets in a day and have never had the warm buzzy feelings that some people have described, and therefore have never been addicted. For those who can handle codeine without addiction it is an excellent drug and I would hate to see it banned. I have tried the alternatives you have described and none of them really help as my pain is so widespread and I am allergic to a number of the other drugs that can be used to control pain
    • Posted

Dear Gill, I apologise for offence caused to you by my description, it's really good to hear you've been using them so long and they work well for you at a safe dosage. In my mind to me and because of the way I lost control of myself with them I just feel to me they were disgusting as took over my life for so many years. I would never intend or agree to see them banned as I do know they can work well for others and at one time that did just that for me too. Sorry for any offence

• Posted

Hi Gill. Thanks for your message. I am sure I can speak for Panners when we talk about the horrible side of codeine. I am glad it helpd you and I'm sure when used correctly it is a blessing. I think from my point of view codeine should only be avaialble on prescription. Life for many addicted to codeine is horrible and it's crazy to think that you can just walk into a pharmacist and get hold of the stuff. Best wishes. Drew

• Posted

Hi again Panners. I want to take some time out to cold turkey. I think yours and other's advice has been about two weeks. After a week on no painkillers, does your body start calming down or is it still as bad? I'm thinking about the aches, sleeplessness etc. Thank you. Drew x

• Posted

Hi drew, great news on your decision to go straight in cold turkey and yes darling, it is initially the first week and in the second it definitely calms down and it's just keeping your strength up that's vital by eating lots of porridge, fresh fruit and veg and vitamin b12 tablets to help reduce fatigue and increase the oxygen flow in your blood and magnesium to help with the restless legs / cramps you may experience xxx good luck and I'm with you 100%. I'm not on here every day but as often as I can I will check in and keep in touch with you xxxx

• Posted

Hi Panners. Thanks for the kind words. I will go shopping and get those things. Magnesium sounds good. I will explain to people I trust that they must leave me alone. I found last time that I couldn't even hold a phone conversation. Thanks again xx

• Posted

Congratulations. There is hope. I feel it when I read your post xx Drew
  • Posted

Well done that's brilliant! I'm starting today. It's been six years since I've had this addiction. My family knew for the first four years but they think I've been clean for the last 2! I hate hiding it and I wanna tell someone but I'm so ashamed. Any advice and help would be great.

Thanks Susie. Xx

• Posted

I hope you make it through Susie. Are you going cold turkey? Best wishes. Drew
    • Posted

God bless you susie and good luck with everything and be strong, please tell someone and don't be ashamed, we all make some unwise decisions at times and all have set backs and I'm sure they will understand and have much respect for you and your honesty xxx

• Posted

Hi again Susie. I agree so much with Panners. If you are going to stop, you will need people around you who love you to give support. It may be obvious to them anyway while you are withdrawing. I am sure they will understand xx Drew
  • Posted

Am so happy I Am looking at this site as this time last week o thought I was going mad I come off them just like you did but have only been on them 6 years but just 4 .to6 a day x
  • Posted

Huge congratulations! That's amazing and so good that you feel better for it. I'm on day 6 of cold turkey and doing fine, can see light at the end of the tunnel and I'm so looking forward to having my life back fully!

Need to find a way to control my original pain too. I'm determined to find a way without these horrible drugs!

Congrats again. X

• Posted

Well done. Day 6... that is really good. Keep going strong. Best wishes D x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.