17 year old athlete with bad EAMC ***NOT DEHYDRATION/ELECTROLYTES**

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am a 17 year old athlete. I play football, baseball, and love lifting weights. I have been dealing with exercise associated muscle cramps for years. When I was younger it was usually just after tough practices in which I ran a lot and then tried to go to the pool to swim. Now I have a serious problem with cramping after halftime at my football games. I have done it all: Gatorlytes, pedialyte, pickle juice, mustard, gallons of water, magnesium/potassium/coQ10 and nothing works. I always cramp up in the 3rd quarter. It used to be where I could take a pill of Robaxin aka Methocarbamol and the cramps would go away and I can continue. This no longer works either. I even took two (one at halftime, one when I started cramping) and it didn't work. I am a pretty heavy sweater but I drink so much that I have to run to the bathroom during games and I still cramp. I usually cramp up in the hamstrings or quads but it often goes to other muscles such as the triceps and abs. I went to the doctor and have run multiple blood tests and even saw the neurologist for muscle tests. Everything seems normal. I understand that cramps aren't always caused by electrolyte deficiency or dehydration. I just want to know if anyone has any thing that works for them or could help.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I have tried applying foam rolling and deep tissue massaging my muscles, doesn't seem to help much. Also, I find that I can only flex my muscles for short periods of time before they seize up, even on a rest day (not sure if this is something that is normal or not). Please help me find a solution
  • Posted

What about heat packs? Don't drink too much water during your game because it will dilute your blood and the crawling will get worse. I'd say heat packs before and after your game, massage, plenty of stretching and electrolyte drinks during the game. Don't change your treatment too often because your body needs time to adjust. To me, it sounds like your muscles are over working. 
    • Posted

Tried heat packs this summer, and don't usually drink water during games anyway. I have tried doing Gatorlyte and Pedialyte
  • Posted

Try looking at the symptoms of glycogen storage diseases. There are a couple, especially Types V (5) and VII (7) which can cause muscle fatigue, cramping, and contractures. They are pretty rare so they ore often overlooked by doctors. 
    • Posted

It seems as if an abnormal blood test is associated with these diseases. I have taken three blood tests and all of them came back normal.
    • Posted

Yes, typically there are abnormal labs, especially high CK levels, however there are a few people who have had normal levels. I am having genetic testing done for these disorders even though all of my labs have always been normal. There are enough other symptoms in my case to justify the suspicion. 
    • Posted

Okay thanks I will look into it. By the way, do your muscles seize up after flexing them for more than 10 seconds?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.