17days post Op my waterproof dressing has fallen off?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi Everyone

I am now 17 days post op and doing fantastic. My surgeon told me i have dissolvable stitches and when the dressing falls off it falls off but now i am a bit nervous. I liked having that protection. He didnt say when it would fall off so i dont know if its to soon or not.

Any advice would be appreciated

Karen

Queensland, Australia

3 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Karen  I was told 2 - 3 weeks so yours sounds like the right time. Mine fell off after 15 days and everything was fine. Its so much nicer than having staples. Good luck with your recovery, I'm 10 months and completely back to normal. Gillian
    • Posted

Thank you so much for quick response 😀

So did you continue to shower everyday like normal.

I just get nervous infection etc

My recovery so far has been fantastic i am on 1 crutch around the house and painfree.

I see physio next week.

I am just so amazed at how much i am doing already and very excited at what i will be doing in 10 months 🤗

Karen xx

• Posted

Sounds about right Karen, you may have a small amount of drying scab the length of the incision, perfectly normal, and even that will fall off by itself.

Are you doing your exercises, gently gently, and I suspect with clearance from your GP you can even go swimming, (treading water) nice non-weight bearing exercise, very relaxing, I go to Dolphins at Redcliffe.

• Posted

Thanks lyn

Yes doing exercises and looking forward to returning to my swimming also.

Our business is in Sumner so i go to pool in Goodna. I was told by surgeon i could probably start back in hydro pool walking after 4-5weeks than back to swimming maybe in 6-8 slowly obviously :-)

I see physio next week and will see what he says and then surgeon for 6wk check up.

So how long after did you startback at pool?

Karen xx

• Posted

About 3 weeks if I remember correctly, but I did check with my GP first. He was very good about doing my first dressings at about 10 days, and then a week later took dressing off completely, thats when I said to him I would like to get back in the pool, to start exercising, he said no the first time I asked, and told me to come back in a week again, thats when he gave me permission.

He did examine my cuts very carefully, to make sure they had healed completely, he said wasn't worth the risk of infection to go in too early.

Only comment I would make is go in early, before the kids get there, just a little quieter, you don't want some kid to hit you even accidently.

I also took my walking stick with me as a warning device, to others that there might be something wrong with me even after I didn't really need it, expecailly when going shopping/supermarketing, you can use it as a crash barrier for little kids, rather than your leg, couple of times stopped a very painful experience.

I started my pool experience after THR, just doing my post surgery exercises very gently, using the weight of the water as extra effort, and then getting a noodle under my arms, floating and just bycling in the water, still do it a year later, then some more stretches, and out, 20 minuetes probably enough the first few times, now I do over and hour 3 times a week. 

Just had another check up with the physio, she was delighted just how strong I was, and she was able to demonstrate to me how strong I was, which has given me alot of confidence, which had taken a knocking due to my left hip being not so good.

• Posted

Wow thats great well sounds like you are really happy with THR and recovery as been really good. 

I will see my physio next week and maybe go in and see my gp and see what she thinks. I will be 3 weeks on Wednesday.

Thank you so much i really love this forum its amazing. 

I will let you know how i go.

Karen

• Posted

Mine was off by two weeks, no problem. Glad to hear things are going so very well!
  • Posted

Hi Karen

The dressing they put over in hospital lasted pretty well for you... they are only meant to stay on until the stitches have done their job.

If you are nervous about it being uncovered at this stage, some chemist stores in Aus sell OpSite post-op dressings that should be large enough to cover the scar.

I know I felt a lot better having a layer of padding between my scar and clothes for a long time, particularly when wearing long pants or jeans (which I used to live in but don't wear much now because the seam sits along the side scar)...

The OpSite dressings are waterproof and last about a week each (for about $8-9 each).

• Posted

I wa showering every day with no problems. We are so lucky in Australia to have walk in shower recesses, no climbing into a bath makes life so much easier. I'm in Victoria and only have an open air pool in our small country town but have been swimming and going to water arobics since the beginning of summer, its done me so much good. Gillian

• Posted

Yes we are so lucky, i got one of those chairs and i swear being able to shower made me feel so much better everyday.

I swam without fail everyday for last 2 yrs and i love it and i know it has contributed to my quick recovery and cannot wait to get back to it.

Again we are so lucky living in Australia i swim all year round and even rain never stopped me :-) just a great way to start my day. Now land was different story OA stopped my walking so i am looking forward to getting that back and i can tell by my recovery it wont be long 👍🤗

• Posted

I had glue, no staples or stitches. When the glue finally came off, left my skin irratated, still red. I also was told to start rubbing scar tissue or it would remain hard.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.