18 months after POEM, having ?Reflux

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had POEM over 18 months ago for variant achalasia which improved my swallowing markedly.  For about the past 3-4 months Ive been having significant chest pains that can last over 24 hours and can be fairly severe.  I had EGD about 2 months ago which showed no significant esophagitis and a Bravo pH probe was placed with showed little acid getting into my esophagus (i was maintained on PPI through the study) with a Demeester score of 4.7

Has anyone after POEM or a Heller Myotomy had similar problems.  I know a possible fundoplication could be in the cards though some of the data suggest im NOT having significant reflux.  I never had any pain prior to the POEM, only difficulty swallowing- Im due to travel back to the institutionthat performed my POEM after all of my findings have been reviewed.

Thanks!

Jimmy

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Jimmy , I had POEM 8 months ago mostly because of chest pains. After every meal I thought I needed to go to the ER. Never did go. Has any dr every come up with the idea that maybe your esophagus is just overly sensitive to even a small amount of acid? I am actually have another Bravo test march 7th but either way I know I'm needing a wrap. The acid that gets up to the base of my vocal cords is ridiculous the burning is unbearable and lasts for hrs. We all know what it feels like. I do think in your case a wrap is also probably something to look into. I wish you luck , seems like it's always a gamble if you're going to get better, worse or stay the same. I hate rolling the dicesmile

• Posted

It all depends, doesn't it, on whether it really is caused by relfux or not?   Is it possibe that it might be some form of muscular spasm?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.