18 with SVT?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I don't know where else to post this, and I don't know where to start really, but I've probably experiencing what I suspect is SVT since I was 12 or 13, (I'm 18 now) and never really knew what it was. Last year I went to my GP thinking it was panic attacks (I had severe anxiety problems as a teen but not anymore) and he prescribed me diazepam but it never worked when I did have an attack, just made me sleepy and loopy but did not stop the rapid heartbeat. After that I started googling my symptoms and thought it might be hypoglycemia but I've had multiple blood tests and they show no problems. I consulted my GP again about the episodes and he did suspect it my be SVT and did an ECG and found no problems, so he referred me to a cardiologist (this happened this year).

I was put on a 5 month waiting list to actually get an appointment with him (great new zealand healthcare system) and he did another ECG and asked me a few questions and sent me on my way. He said that he wanted to put a holter monitor on me to capture when it happens. 3 months after that I finally got the holter monitor. A week before that I had my worst episode, I was showering and suddely I just felt this unexplainable feeling in my chest and I started feeling dizzy, I went to feel for my pulse but felt nothing and my vision started going black and I felt like I was going to die. I've never experienced that with an episode before. After I got out of the shower the rapid heartbeats started and continued for ages. I then got the holter put on the week after and failed to capture an episode, even when I tried to trigger it by exercising and jumping around, etc. 

Fastforward 2 months later, which is currently this week. I finally saw the cardiologist to hear about my results from the monitor on Monday (after my appointment being cancelled and rescheduled). I had another ECG and the cardiologist told me that they found no abnormal rythym but just that my heart beats faster when it shouldnt be. He didn't actually tell me what was wrong, or if I have SVT or anything related, just gave me a prescription for Bosvate (bisoprolol). I picked it up today and haven't taken it yet because I've done a lot of research into it and I'm honestly terrified to take it. I'm also quite worried because I have low blood pressure (I always have, idk if its because I'm so skinny I'm 53kg and 5'8) and I've read everywhere its mostly used to treat high blood pressure and should not be taken if you do have low blood pressure. I'm also kind of concerned because when I took it to the pharmacy the two pharmacists could not read the cardiologists handwriting AT ALL. I told them that he said he was giving me a beta blocker and didn't tell me what it actually was going to be. So they gave me Bosvate 2.5mg dosage. I'm just really concerned because I don't want to have the horrible side effects (I work as a waitress and my hours are horrible, I'm always working late and getting up early and I've heard everyone gets extremely exhausted with bisoprolol) and I'm not even sure if this is the right thing to be taking. The doctor doesn't even know whats wrong with me, even though I'm very certain its SVT because I experience all the symptoms. I also don't want to be taking this drug for the rest of my life... I'm only 18 and from what I've read on forums online is that mostly 50 year olds take this stuff. What should I do?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi you dont have to be afraid to take the medication, Iam the same as you 5.3 and 53 pounds and i Also have low pressure, this medication Save me from the svt it calms my Heart and for sure it not cause you a low pressure, i have three years Taken it and i feel ok Also it lower my anxiety try it, and ser how great you will feel

😀

• Posted

Thank you for your reassurance, I'll definitely give it more thought

• Posted

I would stop taking the medication until you can get a definitive diagnosis.  

How fast is your pulse, when you've timed it in the past?  

• Posted

I've never actually been able to time it just by using my finger on my pulse because it goes so fast its hard to count it. And I think the doctor just wants to put me on this and then give me a diagnosis if it works or not.

• Posted

Sounds like SVT's to me.  It's actually common for people to start getting the SVT's in their early teens.  I have had mine since I was about 13, 14, also.  In order for them to give you a definite diagnosis, you must be in an SVT attack while doing the Ekg.  It was hard for me, because for many years, by the time I got to the hospital, it would be over and they kept telling me it was panic attacks, altough I knew it wasn't true, because I also have panic attacks, and there is a mojor difference.  The difference is that a panic attack, comes on gradually and ends gradually, it that it goes slower, then faster and faster and faster, but the SVT will start adbruptly and end adbruptly. there is now slowing down until it stops are starts, it all the sudden fast and all the sudden stops.  Well, anyway, I finally ended up buying a hand held ecg, for like a hundred us dollars, and I was able to record it and then show my cardiologist.  He then confirm that it was indeed SVT's I was having.  He did prescribe me metroproprol tarte, not sure of spelling, and I also, was scared to take because I naturally have low blood pressure and alreday get dizzy all the time.  So, I asked him if I could just take them as needed for when I get an attack, and he said that it was fine to that.  So, my advice to you, is that if you are really scared about the side effects of your medication, and if you have the SVT's rearly or they don't interefer too much with your life, then ask your doctor about taking them just when you go into an attack.  Now, if you have them all the time, or they interefer with your daily life, then I would have to say, that you would need to take your med on a daily basis.  If your still not comfortable taking the med, there are other options, such as ablation.  Best wishes...

• Posted

Thanks for that, yeah I don't have them every day but frequently enough that it does become annoying and impacts my life (especially when they happen when I'm at work). I'm not sure if I would be able to take it only when needed. But I'll have to contact my doctor

• Posted

Hi there. The first thing is to reassure you that SVT is NOT life threatening, and that most of us have otherwise healthy hearts and have managed to cope very well with it given the right meds, pretty minor lifestyle changes and some learned techniques. If you have been reading the posts on this forum you will probably have already seen stuff like avoiding ALL CAFFEINE (even decaff), and as far as possible mental & emotional stress, and gravity jolts like suddenly bending down to pick up something you've dropped. Do ask us if you need any more info on things like that.

To a layperson like myself most of your symptoms do seem like SVT, but it is possible that they could be from a mixture of low blood pressure and something else. If it is SVT then it seems that a delayed diagnosis will not actually make the condition worse that it would otherwise be (like it would if it were cancer for example), I think its more that it might delay you getting tailored medication to control it. 

I must say that what struck me most about your post is all of the uncertainty you have. It is, unfortunately, common to go several years without getting a definitive SVT diagnosis, generally because it can take that long to capture the events on the right equipment. But what concerns me is that your GP has not convinced you that he understands the symptoms you told him about, or that the meds he prescribed are the right way to go. Its a basic part of a GP's job to listen and explain stuff in a way patients can understand so I would suggest that, if possible, you see a different GP (and they in turn can refer you to a different cardio if necessary). 

Did the GP or cardio say they were going to give you another Holter monitor to try again to capture it?

• Posted

No, when I saw the cardiologist he just told me that they found something not normal on my holter test and that he's just going to put me on meds. I was really anticipating that he was going to put me on another, or give me an event monitor because he said in previous appointments he really wanted to catch it when it happens. Because I am going through a public health system and it's all covered for me I think he just doesn't really care. 

• Posted

sad

Really think you would be less anxious about it all if you could find a doctor who was a better listener and easier to talk to and understand. 

Maybe talk to a few people you know about how to get a second opinion?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.