19mm cyst ADJACENT to ovary of 22mm

Posted , 6 users are following.

Please advise

I've been in agony over 12 months and my hospitals been a catalogue of errors. Was told today my ovary of 22mm has a cyst of 19mm adjacent to it. Consultant said that's not big enough to cause my

Pain and said I couldn't have ovaries removed. I had hysterectomy 5 years ago due to fibroids but

Kept ovaries

Now just referring for pain management but can't tell me what's causing my pain and bloating!!! So upset

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi hun my docs told me 4 yrs ago cyst wont cause pain ,i had ovaries removed he found the dermoid cyst have torsion 3.5 times around my right ovary ,he was sorry after as said i didnt relise this ,so hey go back and demand x
    • Posted

Unfortunately I've been forced to go to PALS as gynae couldn't give me an answer and the pain Is affecting my quality of life, heartbroken

• Posted

Was that a gynaecological consult? Of course it can cause your pain! What's the mystery? Your ovary is seriously large and the cyst just adds to it. You could have adhesions as a result of previous surgery which can also cause severe pain.

Can you get a referral from your GP to a Gynaecologist? You definitely need a CT or MRI to better understand what's going on in there. Cyst can also contribute to your back pain.

Keeping you in my thoughts.

• Posted

Another thought, the average ovary size is 3-5cm. Why are they not alarmed that yours is 22cm? Have they done a CA125 blood test?
    • Posted

Oops, mm not cm. I'm so used to seeing cm I didn't even see the difference. But your ovary can easily be twisted which wouldn't show up on an MRI and that is horribly painful.

• Posted

It doesn't seem that a cyst that small (19mm is only 0.75 inches) would cause pain. From what I've read in multiple places, the ovary of a woman of reproductive age is 3 to 5cm. So yours at 22mm / 2.2cm is on the small side.

I would tend to think the more likely culprit is adhesions or anatomical  changes that occur after hysterectomy. It seems a lot of women have issues with bloating...not sure why that is. I don't have bloating but have had bowel issues ever since my hysterectomy 10 years ago.

I hope you get answers and relief soon!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.