1st Anniversary of TKR!

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi. A weird anniversay just now, one year on from my TKR. It has been quite a journey and having read recent posts on here I can say that the first six or seven months were plagued by tiredness and fatigue. I had poor flexion of only 65% to 70% for some time after the operation and underwent a manual manipulation too. However, in time the thing has slowly improved. I now have 90% flexion and of course arthritis pain disappeared from day one! The fatigue bit has gone now. I take co-codamol twice per day and occasional naproxen, but the latter is more to do with my other leg which will require a TKR in a few months' time! I'd just say that I don't regret the operation. I'll never have full movement and going down some flights of stairs can be difficult but this too is partly due to the pain in my other leg. I'd urge anyone feeling low to hang on in there. I was disappointed and downhearted after six months but it does get better! Good luck to all.

4 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I totally agree with you.   I had mine 16 months ago and it is after that first year I think that you really reap benefits.   Tiredness and pain in the first few months is very disheartening.   Stick with it everyone and you will come through the other side! Good luck 
  • Posted

Thank you for this. I have already had an arthroscopy on one knee and now need to tell my surgeon if I want to go ahead with a TKR when I see him in 2 weeks. Will be 50 when have it done so know will probably need it doing again later in life but he says level of damage from arthritis means it is worth doing now, for quality of life. Have had some doubts about things like time off work(am a nurse ), living alone, coping afterwards, etc, and so many posts on here tell horror stories about how bad it is afterwards. So it really helps to read a post like yours. Nor expecting miracles and know to expect pain, sleeping problems and a lot of hard work afterwards and also like you have arthritis in other leg too. But am coming to conclusion that am still too young to struggle like I am now when something can be done, even if I may be a slow road to recovery
  • Posted

Thank you for your one year update. I am definitely plagued with fatigue and pain right now (my surgery was only 4 days ago) but I am encouraged. My hips are aching right now, but all will improve
  • Posted

Glad  to see you In a happy place, and that it is working out for you.  Still keep up with the exercises though as any weakness you may still have will dissipate and your flexion will continue to improve. If you can, try to improve muscle tone on your bad leg, then you'll avoid some of difficulties you experienced last time round
    • Posted

Thanks sueisobel. Funny thing about my exercises. I do most in the evening when I am watching TV. I constantly bend my knee, hold and then back and forth all the time. This really helps strengthen the muscles and improve flexion, and I can have a scotch whilst doing it!
    • Posted

Reckon it must be the scotch. Mine is a G&T.  There must be lubricating qualities in the alcohol biggrin
  • Posted

Good luck to everyone whatever stage you are at with your TKR. Managing expectations is important. I know my knee will never be 'like new' and there will be one or two limitations as to what I can do but being free of arthritis pain is the best thing and being able to walk for up to an hour without pain. My physiotherapy plan was non-existent after my TKR due to poor co-ordination between two hospitals. Had this been better my recovery would have been quicker. Please make sure your physio plan is in order!
  • Posted

Hi Dode,

Thanks for your post. I am 5 months post TKR and still have a few issues, mainly being that my knee still doesn't straighten so of course that cause pain. I know I am getting better, but still find the whole process frustrating at times, still exercising and still having physio for which I am extremely grateful as it seems most people on the forum only get 6 weeks.

Knowing that I still have a bit of a journey ahead is daunting, but good to know its not unusual.

I just wish the surgeons would be honest when they see us post op ( not too honest pre op or I don't think anyone would have the op!!!) and say it's a matter of months not weeks before we feel fully rehabilitated!

I hope your improvement continues, thanks for sharing this.

Tricia.

• Posted

Congrats on your 1 year recovery mark. You've been thru a tough year and sounds like you are well on the road to full recovery. You know what to expect with the second surgery.

Best of luck with that.

Have been out of work for the first time in the 3 years since I started the job..Can't stand on left knee. Having surgery tomorrow morning for a torn cartlidge. This will be a cake walk compared to what the rest of you have been through with TKR.. Our group has already shared great ideas around the recovery time and meds not to mix.

Have a job as a cashier in a very busy market. Stand on my feet all day. Not returning to work untill I have a 100 percent recovery. Don't want to damage whatever the doc does.

Best to all of you.

• Posted

I too am celebrating 1 year since TKR next week and I can honestly say that I would go through it all again to be where I am now. 

True, you think the pain, discomfort and lack of sleep will last forever but believe me, it does get better. I started sleeping better at about 3mths and that's when everything else seemed to fall into place. As I was less tired I had more energy and more determination to get better. What I will say is that in the early days it is so important to do the exercises, rest and ice regularly and remember it is a major operation and invasion of your body that you are recovering from. 

Now I can do most things I could before although stairs still give me a daily challenge. I have the added problem of having had polio in my other leg as a child so that leg has always been week. But because of this I automatically used my operated leg immediately after surgery so I think this helped in a way with my recovery.

Take heart all you out there who are just beginning on this journey, you will feel bett but it takes time.

• Posted

Great to hear that things are good for you at your one year anniversary!

Next month will be MY first anniversary for Knee#1. My recovery has been good, and, like you, the elimination of the terrible arthritic knee pain has been a real bonus!

I had my second knee done last October, so ITS anniversary will be this fall.

It has been a very full year with the two surgeries, but the elimination of all knee pain has allowed me to do things that I hadn't been able to do in years.

Don't worry about your second surgery. You will of course have recovery again to deal with, but THEN you will have two solid knees to take you wherever you want to go.

Sending you prayers of strength and calm as you appreciate all you have accomplished this year!

• Posted

Dode

Thanks for the positive thoughts on your anniversary. I am 3 months post op I had both knees TKR. I am looking forward to just waking up one day and not have my knees be my first thought. So onward and upward.

• Posted

It will happen, seven months or thereabouts since second TKR, and I am so happy I can bend both my knees, stiff in the mornings, but not painful.

When I think about it, I don't know why I put up with the terrible pain for so many years, AND I was totally surprised when I was told they needed replacing,doh!

Best thing I ever did :-)

• Posted

Hi Suzy, i am so glad i had my tkr 6 weeks ago, like you in the mornings i am stiff but find it hard to get my knee going, how do you get yours to "wake up" so to speak. it takes me a while  of stretching and bending which then does make it sore.
    • Posted

Sue

I am not Suzy but i use a heating pad my PT told me to ice for swelling and heat for stiffness. Ask if you can use one . I put it on at before I go to sleep the heat relaxes me and off to sleep I go, then again when I get up to relieve stiffness.

• Posted

I will ask physio tomorrow Tana, thank you. Still use ice a few times during the day, would never have believed how much it would help. thank you x
    • Posted

Mine just walks off in ten mins or so, but I'm a lot further on than you.

At six weeks, my knee was stiff most of the time, and worse after I had put my feet up for a bit, it will get easier, really.x.

• Posted

Thank you Suzy, takes nearly 20 mins to start to ease but oes stiffen a lot during day. thank you x
    • Posted

It will stiffen every time you rest and don't use it for a while, but early days, the more you use it, and ice it, the better it will get.

It's never going to be the same as a perfect arthritis free unoperated on knee.

It's different now, I think it's hard to accept, but it's had bits cut off and bits hammered in, to be honest it's like having a road accident.

Accept the difference, the arthritis pain would have just become unbearable, whilst this will improve.

You learn to live with the niggly bits and the stiffness, and not for a minute would I go back to how I was before my surgeries.x.

• Posted

I would not like to go back either Suzy, I am so glad i had this done, and I can see a big improvement. I can put up with the stiffness after a while but not just when it wakens me or I wake up, it is so hard to get it to work sometimes.

Thank you x

• Posted

Hi Tana, I asked physio about heat and she said I can use it at back of knee but at the moment def not still keep icing it, Thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.