1st Dressing change Yay!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone, am now 7 days post surgery. Had my dressing changed today and sooo nice to have my foot cleaned. Nurse said had some bleeding but everything looked fine.New bandage much more comfortable not so tight. Told to keep foot elevated as this is key to recovery. Foot still painful especially getting up for a trip to the loo but have cut back on painkillers which is good. Back to hospital next week for dressing change,x-Ray and a chat with doctor to monitor progress. Hopefully heading in the right direction

Here,s hoping everyone has pain free happy feet very soon!!xxx

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Carole,

You seems to be so positive. Did the surgeon use screw to fix your bone? If he did, I hope you will be patient with the very slow recovery process.

Good Luck! 

• Posted

Hello sulaimansiti

My positive feelings have turned negative today. Am feeling a bit low after a bad nights sleep due to painful foot just couldn't get comfortable.have dosed up on Ibuprofen & Paracetamol but think something stronger maybe required!! 

Yes I had a bunion op on my right foot and have screws inserted. I am 8 days post op now. Was hoping the pain would have subdued by now. Have been told to rest & elevate foot just short trips to the loo which is quite an expedition having to put the surgical boot on (so glam) every time I stand together with the crutch. Some people I know experienced no pain after bunion op...I must say I find that hard to believe right now.

I know this is a 4-6 week recovery op and in some cases longer. Let's just hope all this pain and boredom is worth it😄.

chin up and all that😋😋😋😋😋😋😋

• Posted

Hi Carol Marie,

MY name is Ellen and I too am a little over a week  post op.We seem to be healing at the same time,I too have bleeding & they said it was normal,but last night I dropped my cane on it & thought i was going to pass out from the pain,I did however say many curse words,hope my neighbors didn't hear that.I was told to keep it elevated & it only got swollen once,I went out night before last & I really think I shouldn't have it was very swollen and I'm sorry  I went out.I have 6 weeks to heal what was your date?I have a walking all day job so I really don't think that will be enough time,,Did the xray,and he said it was healing nicely,I have another apt on the 13th  can only hoope for the best ,you too,hope you are feeling better...Best of luck,keep in touch.....

• Posted

Hello Ellen

sorry for delay in replying your message went to my junk box!

Am now 13 days post op. The first 10 were pretty painful but the last couple have been much better,Hopefully am now on road to recovery. I still keep my foot elevated as much as possible. I find that by the end of the day it feels swollen. A friend of mine has lent me a wheelchair lol. It has actually been a godsend...means I can get out and about with the help of hubby.The change of scenery has done me the world of good was becoming house depressed!

Been told to expect at least 6 weeks to recover. Must be patient. Am at the hospital tomorrow for my first X-ray as doctor was on holiday  last week so am effectively one week behind. Am hoping all is well.

Hope all is going well with you and are not over doing it.

Here,s to bunion free feet😃😃😃😃xx

• Posted

Hi Carol Marie,

Thanks for replying,I am glad you are feeling better,I still am bleeding a little,and am afraid to put too much pressure on it,as I am such a baby when it comes to pain....I have a doctor's apt on wed.and can't wait.That's all I have to talk about as it is too early for me to say anything else,just OUCHHHHH!!!!!Oh,forgot to tell you this I dropped my cane on my foot last night!Can't believe the whole world didn't hear me scream,curse & cry ...damn that really hurt.I just wish it would stop bleeding already....Here's hoping you too are feeling better....Will keep in touch....

• Posted

sorry i did tell you about my foot & cane debockel....too much medicine....please forgive me...thanks
    • Posted

Ellen you sound just like me. I have a very low pain threshold so I found this op extremely painful. The nurse calls me a delicate little.soul!!

Ouch,just the thought of you dropping your cane on it makes me shudder with dread.Poor you.

i too had trouble putting my foot down because of the pain but by day 10 it has become a little easier. You mentioned a cane. I have a crutch and a surgical shoe. Do you?xx

• Posted

Hi Ellen, 

havn,t heard anything from you in a while. How are you doing?

• Posted

HI Carol marie,Thanks for wondering about me,I am now almost 4 weeks post-op,I really have been doing too much,It is going well just I want to walk a little faster than I am,it is not too swollen when I have my foot up,but i went out on Sunday and  when I got home I thought my foot was going to explode. I iced it all night and it seemed to be better in the morning!Really scared me,I am not using my boot to walk to the bathroom,as it is very close to my bedroom,I really am worried about this taking too long I only have 3 more weeks to try to heal enough to go back to work,I just don't see it,and my second toe feels like it's brooken,it is floppy,I have a velco compression bandage on my foot and toe,but it is suppose to keep the screws in place,something like that.It feels really wierd like jelly,I am praying this gets better,i really hate the way it feels now.I hope you are better ,i am not on here everyday but I do try ,I will be  on here a lot more,so thanks again and stay in touch...E

• Posted

Hello Ellen. 

Glad your ok. You do have to be patient though. If your not happy with your toe you should mention it to your doctor.

I have had a setback I,m afraid. After I had my post op X-ray  which was a week later than it should have been because doc was on holiday I was told I have a fracture. Not sure if this occurred during the op. Am at the fracture clinic tomorrow so will hopefully find out more then😰 Still have dressing and bandage on foot  and walking with boot on. Guess my recovery will take a bit longer now.  Must say I can,t wait to get back to normal.  Must stay positive. Keep telling myself this will be worth it😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

All the best from Carole.xx

• Posted

Hi Carol,

Thank you for this info.  I had my surgery 3 weeks ago and when to see my doctor 2 times.1st after a week of the surgery and he changed dressing of my foot.  Next week to removed the stiches and advise to start washing my foot everyday and do myself the dressing of the foot.  It was so difficult for me to do it.  After a week I called the office to ask for help.  I went a 3rd time  and luckly the doctor was busy so the nurse did it.  She did it very quickly and bettter job than the doctor.  I still have a hard time because after seen one time I cannot master the technic.  I am afraid that I am not doing a good job and the bone is not going to heal straight.  Are you doing the redressing yourself now?

• Posted

No I have weekly visits to see the nurse who cleans the foot and redresses it and she monitors my progress. I think this process will continue until my wound has healed properly and the doctor is satisfied with my progress.

Are you in England.x

• Posted

It is great.  I need to call the nurse and telll her that they have to check my foot.  I noticed that the big toe was bending again.  Thank you 4 this info.
    • Posted

Hi Carol,

I am in USA California Yesterday I went to the dr. (4 weeks after my surgery) and he told me to start walking without the plastic booth.  It is really paainful with the booth and more pain without the booth.  He doesn't recomend exercises or anything lie that.  My 2 toes are rigid.  I don't know.  Let me know how you are doing.

• Posted

Hello 

You are just ahead of me.i am now  just over 3 weeks post op. Unfortunately I have been told I have a fracture in my foot so am at the fracture clinic tomorrow   Think this is going to hinder my recovery. I will let you know how I get on. My doctor has said to do excercises to get some movement back in my toes especially my big toe which is really stiff. Did mention that physio would be a good idea. Everyone seems to be different .

At least you are out of the boot. That's a good thing. You must be progressing well. Keep it up. It's a slow process but you'll get there.

All the best.x

• Posted

HI Carol, 

Omg,what happened? I am so sorry youhave to go thru this too,I hope all works out well,I am saying a prayer for you...smile

• Posted

Thanks  Ellen,

Saw fracture Doc today. Have a hairpin fracture further up the foot. They think it's an old injury which I find strange as my foot would have been painful. Anyway the good news is it will mend itself  as my foots wrapped up and I,m still in the boot.So hopefully I,m back on track with the bunion side of things.

keep praying for a speedy recovery.🙏🙏🙏

• Posted

How did you fracture?  Did you walk a lot?  I think you have to eat super healthy during these days so you have all the foos sources to heal..  I am still using yhe boot because the inflamation on my foot and the pain when I walk.  I can not move my toes without having pain.  

I hope you feel better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.