1st metatarsal fracture

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I have had an airboot for 4 1/2 weeks now, had an xray yesterday and was told it was healing well 50% healing from both edges, told to come back for re xray in 3 weeks. I was wondersing how everybody elses fractures took to heal completely.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi smab97;  most fractures heal in around 6 weeks.  It can be affected if not enough calcium being "put down" around fracture site....or other medical condtions??   Was it a bad fracture/pinned?...if so may take longer......xx
    • Posted

Hi bronwyn 97278, the fracture occured after having a Hallux Valgus operation, the osteotomy site was pinned but never xrayed post op at 6 weeks so could have been damaged (fractured) for some time before I finally said it really was painful. I never bumped it or fell so I am in a bit of a quandry how it happened! Anyway I am where I am now 50% healed after 4 1/2 weeks. I am taking extra calcium, on top of a good diet. The fracture looked quiet narrow to me but I am not medically trained.
    • Posted

Morning smab;   I can't be sure what Exactly happened during surgery, but Sometimes, if the procedure is not done exactly as expected, the 1st Metatarsal (big toe), can be fractured during the procedure (op)....so you ?probably got the fracture during surgery, and should have probably had it pinned then (and then the pin is removed at 6 weeks)....I need to tell you that I have not seen Many of these procedures done....they are only done if Nothing else works for the patient to relieve the pain of the Bunion.  As for the healing process, it may also come down to the reason for having the op....was it due to Arthritic toe/do you have decreased circulation to this area?   if so, these could also affect the healing process???.....As you have said, the site was Not x-rayed at the 6 week checkup, hence when did they find out that the toe had been fractured....if not picked up during the surgery, and not at 6 weeks, then this, too, could be a reason for the extended healing process.....what do you feel/think is the cause/happening?             Bron
    • Posted

I had severe pain in a very big bunion I had almost no cartilage left so the joint was very immobile and had arthritis in it, the big toe was misaligned hence the need for a shaft to be removed from the 1st metatarsal. The bone in the metatarsal then had a screw put in but only at one end, maybe  it should have had 2? I have screws and staple in my big toe joint too. The big toe is now 1/2 inch shorter than the left big toe. Who knows what caused it I just want it heal and get on with my life!
    • Posted

Morning smab; yes, I know that feeling "of just want  it to get better and move on"....I had a shoulder op in 2010, and I think the surgeon was a :little concerned" that I had emotional issues, when I couldn't understand why it was taking sooo long....it wasn't until my Rhuematologist told me it would take at least 12 months for my particular op to heal, that I Understood.....Yes, your toe that has been operated on Will be a Little shorter than the oposing toe....as the surgeon has had to remove part of the bone...especically if there was not any cartilage.....if you go onto ?Webnet/similar site re your op, you will probably understand more re your op, what has happened, and it will probably make you a little more comfortable.....I know when we are told that "this is what we have to do", by the drs, we just, basically, nod and say ok....and don't even think about researching it......I know I didn't, thinking I had been there before....but never having been the patient, and watching the recovery time, is a completely Different matter.   see what you find, and if still wanting to have a talk, get back......my fingers are usually good typers.......rolleyesBron
    • Posted

Thanks Bron, I did research so know the mechanics, I know it's pretty brutal' and I am coming to terms with being patient not easy for someone who is always on the move down at the gym and running, but I am learning. Thank you for your kind words
  • Posted

My metatarsal fracture was not that severe and it took about 2 months maybe a little over to heal but that was just me personally. Hope this helps!
  • Posted

I've been in my aircast for a 5th metatarsal fracture, near the base, for 4 1/2 weeks. And see the doctor again in a week and a half.

First two weeks I was non weight bearing. Third week was partial week bearing. And now I'm walking without crutches for most of the day.

Hope your recovery is going well.

• Posted

Great news today fracture has healed after 8 1/2 weeks 1mm is still not joined but surgeon says that's fine. Advised to do 25% of what I usually do and then build up gradually. So happy I will never take walking for granted again. It is uncomfortable to walk but it's going to be after all this time of immobilisation.

Good luck to everyone else. X

• Posted

Thank you, you too. Back now to swelling and sore foot. But no crutches hurray.
  • Posted

I broke my 5th metatarsal on July 1, and have been in an aircast since. First two weeks were non weight bearing, then 4 weeks partial weight bearing. Went back for my 8 week X-ray only to find it is still not healed sad I am walking without crutches now, and my doctor said I can walk at home without the aircast if it feels ok, which it doesn't. Black in 3 weeks for another X-ray.

I'm a 37 female, fairly active.

Hope you are healing quicker than me lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.