2 bouts of pnumonia in 4 years

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys just joined to get some general feed back.

im 28 and was born 6 weeks prem. i was put on a life support machine for 2 months to get my breathing up. My parents were told i would go through life suffering from chest infections and i was also tested for CF when i was born which was negative. I have suffered with chest infections through life but in 2012 i contracted pneumonia which i was put in hospital for and fought it off well. But 6 weeks ago i contracted septis pneumonia and plurality and again was hospitalised for 9 days. I was off work for 3 weeks and have been on light duties since and tried to get back to normal. In the last 24 hours i have devolped pains in my right lung which is the opp to which i had the pnuemonia in and i have been to my docs today who confirmed i have it still but the pain can transfer to the other lung. I have been given prednisone and antibitocs. A new type called doxycycline. Has anyone eve had this type of antibiotics, and if so was it affective?? Also should i ask my doc maybe for another CF test?? 

Many thanks in advance 

phil

Liverpool UK

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Phil: Nice to meet you my name is Beth. You should have a cat scan and see if you have Bronchiectasis. I have it it is non CF Bronchiectasis. It's a widening in the airways in your lungs and you can't get rid of sputum like people with normal lungs can and it provides a breeding ground from other bugs to infect your lungs. I do airway clearance daily with the vest and nebulizer using a Aroebica with Hypersal 7% saline solutiion. I also had Nocardia Nova which almost killed me and Mac lung Disease or NTM. You may also want to be tested for Alpha-1. I can't take Doxycycline but I know a lot of people have taken it. I'm avaliable if you would like to talk further.
  • Posted

Hi Phil,

I have taken that same antibiotic before and it worked well. I was born with diseased lungs and have endured a lifetime of troubles. I laughingly say that some are born to be nurses and doctors but I was born to be a patient! I am their job security. Ha!

One thing I have learned the hard way is to request a sputum culture to identify the exact bug that is causing the infection and then I can be guaranteed the right antibiotic for the bug.

Also, another reason for the culture is because when we are in the hospital we pick up germs there too. Once I had staph growing in my lungs and another time had a cousin to MRSA.

When I had the staph recently, my doctor said he could put me in the hospital for a week for the intravenous antibiotic because the pills were not compatible with one of my daily medications. I told him that I would not go near the hospital. So he ordered a picline and I learned to administer the intravenous med to myself at home.

I home this can help you in some way. Please take care. I know how exhausting pneumonia is and to have it multiple times in a row is unthinkable to me. Your are now in my prayers and I send you strength and energy.

💛 Dawn, USA

• Posted

Hi Dawn

Few months on from my last post and I'm feeling great!! Thank u for ur prayers!! Means a lot!!

I'm unsure if you have had this yourself but I am now left with a clicking sensation in my left side were I had the pneumonia. Would this be due to the scaring??

Phil

• Posted

So good to hear from you Phil! Glad you are feeling better! No, I have not experienced the clicking sensation you describe. Have you mentioned it to your doctor?

Dawn

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.