2 days to go....

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hello everyone. Just wanted to say a huge thank you to all of you, the support and kindness on here is phenomenal.

Any suggestions on GA versus epidural? I am scared of both for different reasons. An preparation in the home for sleeping once i am back. I went to the red cross yesterday to collect the 'aids' which was a low point, but at least I have them now. I have turned my house into a granny quarters. Have hired a car as advised on here, and now trying to stem the sick feeling every time I think of Friday. Did you feel terribly sick? I keep waking up with cold sweats in the night...

1 like, 49 replies

49 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Rose i was terrified my heart rate was in the hogh 90's. I didnt get the choice of ga or spinsl. It was spinal.i thought i was going to throw up... the anethasist said he would give me something to calm me. I said ok.... next i knew i was in the ward... i would do it again tomorrow . Im now 4 wks and still say.. id do it again tomorrow. Its the fear of the unknown. . Good luck. I hope i was of some comfort
    • Posted

I am glad I am not the only one. It is not a nice feeling! I have had lots of operations in the past, not sure why this one is getting to me so much, I can think of little else. I was nearly sick in the pre assessment yesterday just because of the sterile atmosphere. I hope I can do it on Friday.
  • Posted

Hi Rose, you sound like your prepared & that will make things easier once home.  I had epidurial for my hip & both knee replacements, dont worry about the epidurial at all, they will make sure you wont feel a thing, before, during & after, I was well numberd & was made a bit dosey & just like that I woke up in post op well on my way to recovery, all 3 times smile I was so numb from the rib cage down I did not feel Anything, & I think at least in the states they prefer epi to GA.

I never felt sick though, could be you are in pain & antisapation about everything is doing that.

Wish you all the very best, you will feel so much better compaired to the pain your in right now, I was in so much pain prior to surgery I really couldn't wait to have it done, 3rd week for me today smile & I'm getting my sleep back !!  Best Wishes & Feel better.

• Posted

Yesterday and day before I was in terrible pain, as I was trying to get things done and doing too much, and in those moments I just could not wait for Friday. Other times my fear seems to overtake the pain, and the worry kicks in. I wish it was over and I was at home already!!!!
    • Posted

I am the same also I just want things done it's almost like the "nesting" instinct before we give birth smile & there were days where I felt like a knife was tearing at my every move in the groin, Painful, but I am so pleased to tell you I have Not felt that pain since, whew !! so glad that's gone smile

It will be over before you know it, I counted the weeks, days & boom !! the day came & went like magic !! You will see.

Get as much rest in now so you will be strong for recovery, & Please keep well, I'll be thinking of you !!

• Posted

Hi Donna ~ thank you for such a ressuring message.

That is exactly what we said yesterday, it is like we are preparing for a new baby but without the baby! A new leg instead, which isn't quite the same but seems to be inspiring the same reaction. I am even nearly finished with the christmas shopping fgs!

I am trying to get everything done and cleaned, and washed before I go, all of which is hurting like hell. BUT it is a good reminder and a timely one, that I do need to go and get rid of this once and for all.

My youngest little one keeps crying and is really scared which isn't helping. It is breaking my heart, she looks really so worried and so frightened. I am trying to reassure her, and am spending a great deal of time talking it through and cuddling her, and telling her this is a really good thing for Mummy. But she is not having any of it. It is breaking me trying to reassure and comfort her, she has never been away from me before.

I am just finding it hard to cope with it all. Yesterday was a great day I managed really well, today I am broken again. I expect this is the way it be for a while.

I want to be positive, and strong and happy this is happening, but every now and then it keeps catching me, and tears just come from nowhere.

Being busy really helps, but it is difficult to be busy and not be in v.bad pain. It all needs to come and go....

• Posted

Rose you are doing everything just right, & I have a son who is all so worried about me, he is 22, but has always seen me in pain I feel so bad the poor guy has had to deal with this most of his young years.  One thing I did do was to make sure my meals were done in advance so I would be done & then I made a lot of suppers my husband & son could just heat & eat !! that made me relaxed to know everyone was taken care of.  Your little sweetie will be so much happier to see you in No more Pain, that will be the Bonus of all this smile

I'll be thinking of you, all will be fine.

Regards, Donna

• Posted

epidural definitely recommend. I just had my second hip done never been in hospital ever until this year was terrified but can't believe how everything is so straightforward. 2 hips done within 4 months wish I had done it earlier. good luck. maggie
    • Posted

2 hips in 4 months now that is bravery! Did the consultant plan it that way? I guess at least you are getting it all out of the way in one go which definitely has enormous benefits. Thank you for your message Maggie, I am shaking like a leaf thinking about it.
  • Posted

Hi Rose, good that your all prepared. Of course your worried who wouldn't be? but on the day I was really calm, I went for spinal with sedation and didn't feel, see, or hear anyting. It will be the best thing you have done, plenty of ups and downs but all worth it. I am now 20 weeks and loving every minute of it. Good luck and let us know how you get on Love Gillxxx
    • Posted

Gill I remember the conversations before your op well, because I was thinking of you so much. Can't believe you are already 20 weeks post op. I wish I had had mine done back then to be honest! I have been flaffing around looking for another way.

I hope I am on calm on the day, I really do, positive even is what I am aiming for, I will have a new leg as the children call it! And a new life I hope!!! 

• Posted

And you will Rose, last week we went to an old castle ruin near to where we live, in the past it has always been me saying "I can't do that" but last week I climbed right to the top up a spiral staircase. And a few days later I climbed to the top of Oxburgh Hall in Norfolk. This is what getting your life back really means no more saying I can't it's I'll see how far I can get now. The only thing I am restricted on at the moment is kneeling down to do the garden but that will come..... Love Gill xxx
    • Posted

How wonderful for you! I can't wait to walk for hours with my dogs, play with my children properly, walk on a beach without being in agony and wake up feeling well! I just can not wait to climb castle ruins like you, and the mountains in Switzerland again, and feel alive. That is why we all do it in the end, because your life evaporates with this problem, and the solution gives you back a life worth living. Thank you for your message. I will keep a vision of my children and I in the swiss mountains, with the beautiful wild flowers and sunshine and be strong.
    • Posted

Gill, one last thing. I am so very happy for you. I remember your journey and it is so lovely for me to hear how far you have come. You must be thrilled to be so well again x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.