2 ENTs visited both mystified, hoping for some insight!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been suffering from this problem for well over a year. I've visited 2 different ENT doctors in the past 6 months. In both cases I was given a hearing and pressure test and told categorically that I have "amazing" hearing in both ears. I actually got told today they rarely see results as good as mine. This is part of what makes this so frustrating.

I experience 2 issues:

1. Things sound quieter/duller to my right ear.

2. I feel a constant pressure in my right ear, a simple swallow or nose hold will clear the pressure but only for half a second and then it returns.

I've been told that:

- I have pefectly normal and well functioning eustachian tubes

- No wax build blocking anything

- No issues with the ear drums

- No sign of anything under the drum or infection

- That I have identical ability to hear in both ears

Has anyone ever run into something like this? I don't know where to turn. The main thing that's annoying is the constant feeling of pressure and needing to clear my right ear.

The dullness of sound in my right ear is so easy for me to detect for example when I'm on a phone call I can move the phone between ears and the clarity and volume when the phone is at my left ear vs my right ear is noticably different. Yet apparently the tests say I have exactly the same hearing ability in both ears!

Could this all be in my head? Is my brain simply choosing to amplify the sound it's getting from my left ear even though the right ear is perfectly capable? I'm clutching at straws here!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi. Get an MRI scan. I had a similar problem which only showed up on the phone. All other times I was hearing normally. Dont want to worry you, but I waited until I lost my hearing before I got a scan and now I am deaf in that ear. Good luck
    • Posted

Good idea to get an MRI to rule out anything serious - I'm so sorry for your hearing loss, Alison!! sad  

Andy, this could also be a function of how audiology tests are performed. They're done in controlled settings (sound proof rooms) with auditory signals at certain frequencies and volumes. While they typically cover all of the "speech frequencies", they're not doing it with the refrigerator running or heat turning on, etc. - all of the sounds that accompany life outside of the "booth". I wouldn't be surprised if that has something to do with the results that seem skewed to you...even the pressure could be different during the tests.

I hope you're well and further tests prove it, but it couldn't hurt to investigate more.  Good luck!

• Posted

I have the dullness in both ears. It came on 4 years ago after a very bad cold. I have been backwards and forwards to ENT I have had a scan. nothing to be done. Some days it is worse than others. I have no cure for you. I hope someone posts on here and enlightens us.
  • Posted

I have the same problems as you but I now have tinnitus. Lost some hearing. Ear pressure. Ears feeling blocked. If I swallow or move my jaw, it makes a pop sound. Sounds like you have euthuasian tube dysfunction and usually doctors will tell you to live with it. They are clueless but keep fighting! You are lucky that your hearing is perfect. Ask for an MRI scan of your head or nose scope. To rule anything out. Get an ear popper from a pharmacy. It may help you. Have you tried nasal sprays? Talk to your dentist about TMJ too. Good luck
    • Posted

I didn't realise that there was such a thing as an ear popper! Thanks for that tip. I have ordered one from Amazon for £7.56 - what is TMJ please?

• Posted

TMJ Stands for Tempero-Mandibular Joint - it's where the upper and lower jaws meet near your ears. eyesonfire gave good information! I have the exact same feeling and have had for over a decade...off to see about the poppers, myself...!
    • Posted

Yes. TMJ is temporomandibular joint. Connects your jaw to the ears. It can cause alot of ear problems. You're welcome! Ear popper relieves negative ear pressure and drains any fluid. Hope it works for you ..... It sucks. I've been dealing with ear problems for 15 months ... I hope I get better soon. Take care
  • Posted

I ordered th popper from amazon yesterday and it arrived today. I hope to be free of blocked ears in a few  weeks. I will let you know the progress!
  • Posted

Hello, I am 65 years of age, I had an accident when i was 49years where I had a cut around my mouth towards the jaw and it was stiched. I have been stuggling with my hearing since then, infact i would say total hear loss now, do you think hearing aids will help? though I did some scan but the explanation was not satifactory enough and the drug given did not improve the situation. Any sound ENT hospital in Nigeria that can be of help? pls. I need a referal from you. thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.