2 weeks after bunion surgery

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello people,

I had a moderate bunion removed and big toe straightend on my right foot 2 weeks ago. Today I have had my stitches taken out and dressing completely removed. My foot is still quite swollen and bruised however not as bad as this time last week. I'm still using crutches to get around, I have been advised by the nurse to wait until I see my surgeon next week to seek his advise on weight bearing. I've tried a few steps, using most of my weight in my heel( which isn't comfortable) I'm relying on my crutches still. Is this normal ? Could people please tell me there experiences on when they were able to walk/ drive etc.

Thank you

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

My foot is still swollen and bruised at just over 4 weeks so I think this is to be expected.

Im still wearing a shoe and on crutches and I think I will be until my 6 week checkup as I havent been advised otherwise.

Ive been trying to bear weight on my foot and it seems to be getting easier over time but wouldnt be able to without still using my crutches. In terms of driving I have been advised 6-8 weeks but I think everyones different.

• Posted

Hi Louise I had my right foot done in May 16 bunion removal and straightened and 2nd toe pip fusion ( hammer toe straightened) and left foot done in 31st Nov 16 the latter one I was on crutches until 11January but I did have 2nd toe pip fusion too , 2 weeks after surgery dressing removed then back 4 weeks after returned to have pining if toe ... it is expected to not weight bear for at least 5-6 weeks, I still have swelling now but not as bad and just about weight bearing without the surgical boot now, the thing is not to try do too much at once " little steps at a time xxx

• Posted

It is normal i had my surgery nov10th toe straighten bunion removed i had bandaids on for 6 weeks going every week for changing beginning of January l thought oh this feeling better out side of foot hurt and had a limp middle of January waa doing really good until I tripped bent my toes up now almost like starting over good luck don't push it

• Posted

I think each surgeon has his own way of doing things. My first operation was last july ( no crutches, told to heal walk , bandage on for 4 weeks and soluble stitches). The op didnt work so i had to be reoperated on in jan ( surgeon being doing the same op for 12 years and i was the first person that he has had to reoperate on). This time much the same apart from i had a cast on for the first two weeks and then bandages for another 4 weeks. I was allowed to drive 6 weeks post op ( just let your insurance company know youve had an op).

Your foot may be swollen for months. From what ive read, everyone is different! Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you so much for all your responses. I guess I just need to keep resting. I hadn't really done much research on the recovery period beforehand, I'm just getting very bored and fed up at home lol.

Now I have had my stitches out I was told by the nurse I can get my foot wet. Would it help soaking my foot in the bath or using a flannel to gently bathe it. I don't want to interfere with the healing wound. Also any advice on oil/ creams to use my foot to help with healing process. I've got bio oil which is good for scars. Any other suggestions??

• Posted

Hi Louise I just dabbed mine with damp

Flannel in bath for few days after stitches came out then after that soaked it as normal I havnt used any creams and you can hardly see the scar xx

• Posted

Hi Louise,

I'm also 2 weeks into my recovery although I had both feet done and they were severe bunions I'd had since childhood (now 31) so I had the full surgery.

I had my bandages removed yesterday. My wounds were 95% healed, there was also no bruising or swelling.

In terms of walking I too am using crutches and can only hobble on my heels for at least another two weeks (wearing special sandals provided by the hospital). This isn't painful however and I'm planning to return to work next week.

I'm also due to start physio soon and the aim is to be walking properly, in trainers, two weeks from now.

Everyone heals at different rates but its good to hear others' experiences to have something to compare to.

Good luck!

• Edited

I had bunion surgery on my left foot on Nov 19, this is my 2nd week. I would say every day is different , but I have this tickling discomfort in the place where my bunion bone was, so annoying. I don't use crutches, i wear special shoes that i was given on the day of the surgery. I slowly can put my foot down, not all the way. I have this weird feeling in the place of the bunion like something is pinching it or something is heavy on top of the bone ( the place of the bone). No driving so far, stairs are the worse.

I'm scared to fall and damage my foot.

Bedbound until doctor says its ok to put my foot down.

Wishing speedy recovery 😃

• Posted

Hi! I'm a bit behind in replying to this thread but here I go.

I'm wondering what the rest of your recovery was like? Iv just had a scarf akin osteotomy bunion removal with realigned big toe and screws in place. Totally underestimated this op!

I'm. Now 3 weeks post op today. Foot swelling has massively reduced and wounds look great BUT I'm not weighbearing and using a waking stick my mum loaned me as my clinic said I shouldn't need any aids!!! (really?).

I can't bend my big toe and if I try really hard I get pain where the bones were realigned and funny nerve pains like electric shocks.

I'm reading this thread and finding it refreshing as it all seems normal.

Due to go back to work in 3 weeks and I am a nurse working 12.5 shifts so wondering how realistic this is going to be.

• Posted

hi,

i hope you are feeling better today ,

i had my bunion removed , & went for my 2 week check up yesterday at the hospital , they took the dressing of & i was devastated to see the big gag between my big toe & next toe , & also my big toe leans to the right a lot !! i just thought it would look better .

• Posted

Aw sorry to hear you feel like this. What was your clinic's response?

I'm happy with my foot but struggling a bit with the length of recovery. I was sent private by NHS so not complaining at all but I feel like my aftercare hasn't been great. Only given 1x appointment by surgeon on 20th June and no idea what I am supposed to be doing in between. Not given any physio either which worries me slightly. 😑

• Posted

hi

I'm also 2.5 weeks post op, and was horrified to see the gap too; please tell me it closes with time?

• Edited

This is how my foot looked 2 days ago, i was really upset when i saw how it looked , stitches couldn't be taken out as its still heeling and bleeding after 2 weeks , i go back in 4 weeks for an X-ray , will i still have to wear a shoe boot ? i cant imagine putting a normal shoe on , its still painful , i hope I've done the right thing 😦( .

i was also told that i would never ever be able to wear heels again, have you been told this ??.

My son gets married in October, i wanted to wear a little heel with my dress , but i have been told any heel is a no no ,,im so upset x

• Posted

We're you fully informed about the surgery previously?

I know there are different types of bunion surgery. I didn't know I was having a scarf akin osteotomy however my surgeon came to chat to me pre surgery and explained it all. He gave me opportunity to ask questions.

I am aware that if your toe is fused you can't wear heels as one of my friends had this surgery.

I'm so sorry to hear your upset. Its a real hard slog. I'm still in a ortho shoe and see my surgeon on the 20th that will be me 5. 5 weeks.

I still have pain on and off and can do little things but need to sit down in between as my foot swells and feels like it's bursting.

I definitely think I underestimated the surgery. ❤️. Rest up and hope you heal soon.

• Posted

hi honey ,

I hope your recovering ok , yes it was explained to me , but when they said you cant wear high heels , i just thought high heels , not all heels or any heel .. just a bit upset to think no more nice shoes or boots 😦(

i find that if i am standing too long , it gets painful & starts to throb .

ive another 4 weeks off doing nothing & then i go back for an x-ray , i just hope it will be ok because ive only been signed off from work for 6 weeks .

Take Care

sharon x

• Posted

Aw fingers crossed and here's to a speedy recovery!!

I definitely felt like I turned a corner by week 3.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.