2 years-same symptoms.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Not sure if ive been on here before about my leg pain but ive had it for 2 years, pretty much non stop! I havent been diagnosed with anything apart from a thyroid problem and doctors dont listen to me everytime i mention my leg symptoms.

For two years ive had a burning feeling in my left leg from my thigh down to my foot which happens when i sit, drive, lie down, and it feels off when i stand. I get tingling and almost like a numb sensation in my leg with occasional sharp pains. Does this sound anything like sciatica or could it be serious?

I have a doctors appointment on the 15th about my spots on my face so i am going to mention my leg symptoms hoping she will actually do something about it and not pass it off.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Emily - sorry to hear about your leg pain.

It is very difficult to say if the pain is derived from your back or a problem on it's own.   Yes, definitely get it checked to determine if it's neurological or circulatory. I'm sure you would have mentioned if you have any swelling in the leg, ankle or foot, or any type of redness in the leg itself. 

Your doctor will be able to diagnose and assit you with investigating why you are in pain. Certainly sounds like an impinged nerve and an ultra sound and xrays will zero in on the cause.

I wish you well and hope you get to the bottom of it.

My best,

Glenn

• Posted

Actually  it could originate in the spine, the Sciatic nerve being the largest nerve in the body runs along the spine and goes down the back of the legs. You would need an MRI Scan , and there is also an exam which shows nerve damage called an Elctroneuromiograph, there's probably a shorter way of calling it but I had bad, agoni90% of the problems. zing pains and finally saw an Orthopededist and he requested these exams , also X-Rays of the spine in profile and lying down , showed Osteo-Arthritis and vertebrae damage due to accidents and arthritis. People with pale skin and blue eyes are more liable to have problems with their bones which in turn initiates other problems. ie;Nerves! Good luck hope you get rid it the pain. excercise & physio-therapy eliminate most problems 

• Posted

I finally saw the doctor today and mentioned my leg pain. However she didnt even look at it. She said she will refer me to have physiotherpay and then she gave me a leaflet with a number on and told me to ring them in a couple of days.

Is this normal with ongoing leg pain?

• Posted

Hi Emily, when I first went to my doctor about my sciatica he done a leg raise test on me which I think your doctor should have done, then he referred me for physiotherapy, I think they rang me within 3 days. You can do the leg raise test yourself to see if it could be a disc herniation problem and the physiotherapist will do this when you go to them. I copy and pasted this for you

Leg raise test. One common stretch to test for a herniated disc is the straight leg raise test. For this test, the patient lies down flat on the back, legs staying straight and the doctor gently raises the affected leg until pain is felt. If pain occurs when the leg is raised at a 30- to 70-degree angle, it is considered a sign of lumbar disc herniation. If raising the unaffected leg hurts the affected leg, it also indicates that a nerve root is impinged or irritated. Hope this helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.