2 yrs of muscle tension, spasms, nerve pain/tingling/numbness, stiffness, +other, what should I do?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been experiencing these symptoms over the past year and a half (mostly in neck, back, arms, and hands): intense muscle tension and knots, muscle spasms, nerve pain/tingling/numbness, stiffness, possibly tennis elbow, eye strain, floaters, clear membranes on eyes, eye twitch (sclera), dry eyes and skin, shortness of breath, anxiety, fatigue, disturbed sleep. I got x-rays of my spine, and it showed I have minor scoliosis of my thoracic spine and straightening of my cervical spine, although it is not known if I had this since birth or not. However, I started experiencing symptoms at the age of 22. Also, it seems like my symptoms are more intense on the right side of my body. It is hard for me to get as much exercise in as I want because I have injured my knees, but I have tried doing physical therapy, acupuncture, and massage. I also eat a healthy, balanced diet. I don't know why I'm still experiencing these symptoms. Sometimes I wake up and I can't move my entire arm. It seems like it's worse when I lay down. Maybe pinched nerves in neck? Please let me know if you have any insight... This is controlling my life, as I cannot handle a computer job with these symptoms.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi asuna,

Have you been tested, do you have a muscle disease? there are vitamins that help with tight muscles and tendons, like magnesium and fish oil for joints, check out a local vitamin shop or healthfood store. and see what they have. We have a Super Suppliments in my area, they have helped me greatly.

I take L-Glutamin and D- Ribos (sp?), they are a tramendous help.  I stretch a lot and do light yoga and meditate every day. I take a stroll out side as often as possible. My knees hurt too, but i force myself. 

It does sound like a pinched nerve, did the PT help at all?

I had to go on disability, but i have myosits, it is crippling. 

• Posted

I have been tested for carpal tunnel syndrome because I use computers a lot, and they said my nerves are functioning normally (meaning I don't have that). I also got tested for rheumatoid arthritis and I don't have that either. My doctor is convinced that it was just caused from stress but I haven't been working for six months already and I feel the same. I have been taking magnesium and calcium as well as fish oil and B vitamins. I also took holy basil for stress relief. I haven't seen any significant improvements from that.

I have not taken L-Glutamine or D-Ribos but maybe I can try that. I do stretch a lot as well. That seems to help but the relief is only temporary despite how long I stretch every day. I wish you well with myositis and thank you for your fast reply and advice! 

• Posted

You sure that you may not have CRPS? I get similiar things that are happening to me, I injured my left knee & roller coastered down hill which did not have to have surgery but yet have knee stiffness with pain, joint problems in hands, numbness, headaches, feet swelling with some smaller toe numbness,stiffness in neck,weakness in legs with nervousness & I can go on &on...

I was told recently that a pain management doc says that from what he has diagnosed me CRPS, I have to use a walker everywhere I go & have had this now for over 6 months now, I had something almost Identical 6 years ago & lasted about a year then 5 years of no problems then now here it is again due to an injury to the knee.

Keep in mind that many many doctors don't have a clue what is going on half the time with some one...but I know now what I do believe I have of course there are different forms of this but if I was you search in your area of a doctor that is familiar to CRPS to see if you may have it, Ihope & pray for a full recovery..God bless..

• Posted

I'm sorry you have to deal with those symptoms as well. I have not heard of that but after reading about CRPS just now, I don't think I have that exactly, although some symptoms over lap. I wonder why your symptoms come and go? I am not sure how this occurs. Have you tried getting neuromuscular massages? Those seem to give me relief for a short while...

• Posted

Have you seen a Neurologist yet that specializes in Neuromuscular?   
    • Posted

I've seen a neurologist and got tested for CPS and she said my nerves are functioning normally. She also said she thinks my problem is musculoskeletal.

• Posted

I want to see a more holistic doctor but they are too expensive for me... I have seen a physical therapist and did therapy for a month and a half and did not see improvements. My posture does seem a bit better though.
  • Posted

Hi Asuna, This is an old thread but perhaps youll get a notification about this reply.

I had very similar symptoms to you, went to countless doctors, physio, osteos, no one could tell me whats going on. I was accused of being depressed, or that is was mild degenerative changes (I felt like yelling at the dr, this isnt mild and im too young to be degenerating!!)

Anyway, finally found a physio versed in occupational matters, and she diagnosed adverse neural tension linked to rsi. This can be treated using nerve mobilisation/nerve gliding techniques to help release and mobilise the nervous system that has been impeded. Once you are more mobile from using these techniques you will be freer to do exercise to help maintain good blood flow through the nervous system. Hot baths are also a good way to get the blood flow to the extremeties and the nerves, but are only very temporary relief unless you are also doing nerve mobilisation exercises. Depending how severe your case is you may need to do the nerve mobilisations throughout the day maybe every 30mins whilst working at the beginning. There is a good youtube instruction on nerve mobilisation by kinetic health. I still don't know why other people seem to have a similar lifestyle to mine and don't get these issues so I'm guessing there must be some predisposition to get these kind of issues, sadly doctors tend to know nothing about managing things like this as they aren't classified as a 'disease'.

Hope this helps in some way!

Hopefully this helps!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.