20's, male, what are the odds?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, guys!

I am in need of some information. Today, I went to see my GP because of some symptoms I have been having. Basically, on occasion, I have quite bad pain in my right shoulder, intermitent discomfort in my forearms (now, this isn't constant, I can go days with my forearms feeling perfectly fine; also, I wouldn't class this as "pain", it's by no means pleasant, but it doesn't prohibit me from going about my day-to-day life). I yawn quite a lot, sometimes feel quite tired (I don't physically need to go to sleep; it's not a fight to stay awake, but sometimes I am a little bit sluggish). And, last of all, I sometimes feel a bit anxious/on edge, and am fresh off a minor bout of health anxiety. And sometimes I feel slightly forgetful, or as if I am not mentally as sharp - but, then again, this could be down to anxiety or exhaustion, I suppose.

Now, my GP made the mistake earlier of mentioning Fibromyalgia, and of course I have latched on as if he has made a diagonisis, and now I am feeling a little uneasy. So, my question is - I'm 28, I'm male; admittedly, I am a bit overweight. I'm over 250 pounds, standing at about 5'9"/5'10". And I know that Fibromyalgia targets seven times as many women as it does men, and that possibly I am still slightly on the younger side. I know, as well, most people with fibromyalgia experience pain that is more or less constant, and is genuinely quite painful, whereas whatever's happening to me can disappear for ages, and isn't even all that uncomfortable when it is there. I'm just wondering, though, if anyone knows any facts/odds of how possible it is I could have fibromyalgia.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi David;  It is good that you have a GP who is aware of Fibro; however, I wouldn't "jump to the conclusion that this is Fibro....could be and maynot be??"

There are Many conditions that have similar symptoms and some even that overlap.

?My advice here would be to have a "full blood work up ", other testing, such as X-Rays, Ultrasound/s, and ask for a referral to  a Rhuematologist/Internal Physician, if still No definitive answer from the above.  

?If you, and your GP, still feel there is a"possibility", then you are in a good place to start treatment Early, as this may save you from going down the path that many of us have travelled.    Keep in contact, and let us know how things go from here, and we will/can pass on any info that may help you.                     Good luck,    Bron

• Posted

Thanks for the reply, Bronwyn. I really appreciate it. I don't think I have Fibromyalgia, honestly. The issue is, I have health anxiety, so if you so much as mention any kind of illness or ailement to me, my brain kinda latches onto it and refuses to let go, and then I dwell on it, and it becomes this massive, horrible mess. I had more blood work done on Friday, though I am not entirely sure what my GP is testing me for. I think, at the moment, he is just looking for anything that could cause muscle discomfort or muscle inflammation. I will, of course, keep you posted, though.

• Posted

Hi David

It does sound quite strange my pain started as around one week in a moth but the pain made me cry on everyday I had it ! I agree with browny you need full bloods and X-rays etc, I was diagnosed in Jan this year after suffering for two years ! So after all different tests etc this is the condition I'm left with

I hope your doc helps you x

I'm 35 mine started after the birth of my son

• Posted

Thanks for the reply, Sadie. The things, for me, which make me think I don't have Fibromyalagia, is that my discomfort comes and goes. I can go for ages without any issues whatsoever. Days, weeks, maybe even longer. And, when I do have discomfort, it's not exactly excruciating, you know? Like, it's not pleasant, but it's not really causing me any sort of immense pain.

• Posted

I went through extensive blood work before getting a tender point test. There are a lot of illnesses that can cause inflammation and pain. Like Bronwyn said you need further testing.

Waiting for answers is difficult. All you want is a name for what it is you have. And when doctors can't tell us right away we start searching for answers. When my GP couldn't figure it out she had sent me to infectious disease and they kept coming up with theories and tests. It was frustrating and scary. Stay strong and answers will come. We are here if you need us.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.