20 years old, Can't walk 100m because of Tendonitis/Tendinosis

Posted , 4 users are following.

For the past year (since christmas 2014) I haven't been able to walk more than just round the house without being in too much pain from patellar tendonitis/tendinosis (Doctors have said it's patellar tendonitis and while there is a little swelling it sounds allot more like patellar tendinosis as it's happen for so long). It came about through overtraining while weightlifting. 

It got fixed once (after resting allot for a month and then gradually walking more and more) but then I played football thinking the injury had completely gone and a week later it had returned (big big regret). 

I've basically spent the whole year sitting on my bed with my legs resting flat (I'm a student and have just done all my work from home). The only time i've actually left the house I've had to be in a wheelchair. It keeps improving slightly (the pain lowers) and then I'll do barely any activity (ie standing up for longer than usual or doing more walking than I should) and I have 4/5 days of really bad days and my pain goes back to normal. I've seen loads of physios and recieved allot of contray advice.

My main question is, should I be walking round to try and get it fixed? or completely resting? (I've had some success with both.)

Also I currently sit with my legs up as sitting at a chair hurts after a while, should I be trying to sit at a chair? and in general should I be trying to work through pain or waiting for it to go?

Also do you have any advice for actually dealing with it all? As the jumbledyness of this post probably shows I'm upset and really frustrated by it and it's completely put my life on hold at a time everyone around me seems to be doing really amazing stuff. I'd gladly answer any other questions and I really appreciate any advice. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

There's a video on healing patellar tendonitis with slant board exercises.  Someone mentioned it helped 70%.  (slant board on Amazon is around $64)
    • Posted

Hi thanks so much for the reply! I have bought a slant board and have tried it but I feel as if my knees aren't even strong enough for that.
  • Posted

Other treatments could be ultrasound treatments, deep friction massage, shockwave therapy and plasma-rich platelet injections.

I can really sympathize with you - I have arthritis in my right foot and nothing seems to help.  I hate pain!

Merry Xmas anyway and I hope things get resolved for you.

• Posted

Oh, God, this sounds almost exactly to what I have been dealing with since end of June. I got mildly injured while cycling, gave it a rest for 6 weeks with impoved condition, and went back to activity, which was a huge mistake.

?Now, also 20 and cannot walk over 100m for the past three months...

?Have you had any progress on your injury??

• Posted

Have you tried taking Celedrin, it's good for your joints and tendons.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.