20mg to 40mg citalopram, is it ever getting better?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I'm new to this site, I have had a really tough year, and was perscribed citalopram 12 weeks ago, started on 10mg for 2 weeks then 20mg ever since. I haven't been feeling any better, I have been going through a break up so its hard to know what's heart break and what's depression but the only thing that's seemed to be improving is anxiety which was taking over my life.

I still wake up most days not wanting to move, feeling hopeless and like I don't want to be here (I wouldn't pyschically hurt myself) and non stop crying and fear of the future and low self esteem. I used to be so confident and out going and happy, my world has crashed in the last year and recently I spoke to my doctor who has raised the dose to 40mg which I have now been taking for 3 days. I feel absolutely worse and again not sure if it's circumstantial. I feel embarrassed Infront of my friends and family as one minute I'll be crying and struggling to breath having a panic attack and the next I'll be laughing and smiling. Has anyone else suffered in the same way? I am hoping that this dosage is what I need but I'm just having teething problems. Right now though I feel very scared and worried it's not going to do the trick if I feel like this.

Thank you in advance for any advice

Camilla

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Camilla

Sorry to hear your having a bad time .

I'm currently on week 5 of citalopram and I started on 20 mg. It has helped my aniexy and my mood slightly.

I was the same as you terrified incase I wouldn't feel better , thought I was going mad!

Laughing with friends and family then crying uncontrollably it's all normal side effects.

I'm sure you will feel a big difference on 40mg you just gotta see out the side effects first unfortunately .

I'm sure your person circumstances isn't helping but keep strong for yourself Camilla not for anyone else.

This forum has helped me massively so keep posting .

Debi 💕

• Posted

Hi Camilla,

I'm on week 6 of 40 mg and finally I'm feeling some difference. It's been difficult and feels like a lifetime, but although a way to go yet to feel the anxiety lift even slightly has given me a boost.

Please stick with it, a day at a time!

Take care x

• Posted

Citalprom takes time, but do u feel at list better if not see your gp to up the dose, for me l am depression free Citalprom did miracles for me dear
  • Posted

Hi Camilla,

I felt the same way as you. I upped my dosage to 30 mg, 20 wasn't doing it. I found I was really tired and foggy but I should tell you that I also take lorazepam. I was ready to quit but I never. I am feeling 80 percent better now .

keep the faith. Side effects are horrible,and I had them all. But after 4 months, I know this sounds like a long time but you will prevail . 

Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.