21 year old healthy male IBS (most likely) Pain in upper right quadrandt (RUQ)

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello fellow patients,

I want to start off my giving a background story of my problem. In early July (6 months ago) I started having dull, flank (maybe spasism) like pain in my right upper quadrant side. It has been bothering me almost every day for the past 6 months. I think I also have a very mild case of constipation due to the fact that I have stopped chewing tobacco too since then. This all started from a heavy night of drinking Rye Whiskey 2 nights in a row ( I don't drink a ton but a fair amount for 21-year-old but have really stopped drinking since July) The pain doesn't have a specific time when it starts or stops and doesn't revolve around when I eat or not. It's quite random but its consistent and annoys me enough to take a toll on my everyday life. I'm almost sure it is an IBS problem (spastic colon) because I have no other symptoms (as I said I'm very healthy and normal). Around Thanksgiving I had a CT scan that showed nothing other than backed-up stool. CT scan showed that I have no liver problems, gall bladder, or kidney issues.  I've tried everything like Metamucil, Citrcel, IBgard, and FDgard. What seems to trigger it is coffee and alcohol, but not right away, maybe 12-24 hours later. I've really cut coffee and alcohol out of my diet but the pain still occurs, just a little less. Has anyone had anything like this!? Any suggestions on medications or healing remedies? Do you think it's my colon? Comments, suggestions, and questions are all greatly appreciated! Thank you.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Could be an irritation due to your Rye, and I am not sure what chewing tobacco does for you. So I would reserve judgement. I like an Ale and Malt Whisky as I am a Northerner, sometimes I like a Ltr of Pear Cyder, when I drink, sometimes I irritate my gut and that causes problems. So now I am more careful with how much I drink. Drinking becomes a chore if you are feeling rough, next day.

Change your diet, plenty of Fruit and veg, with a selection of various dairy products in small amounts. Some wholemeal bread, Oats etc, Be careful on the amout of meat, without fat, Chicken.

BOB

• Posted

I've never had an irritation of any kind with wheats or rye before this. I dont think I have gluten intolerance or anything either. That is always possible.

• Posted

No you can eat cerels in moderation, wheat is the one the body can have trouble with?.

We eat a good portion of Oats each day with wheat and seeds

BOB

• Posted

Do you still have your gallbladder and appendix?
    • Posted

Yes, i still have both. I had a ultasound on my gallbladder and it looks very healthy.  
    • Posted

Then I'm not sure I have pain 2 inches from my belly button on the right constantly that goes through to my back I feel your pain

• Posted

Best of luck to you. Lets get through this together!
  • Posted

Have you had stool tests for h pylori and fecal calprotectin?  Ask about IBS.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.