24, all the colon cancer symptoms. Have to wait for colonoscopy. Please help

Posted , 6 users are following.

24 year old female.

Bloating/stomach distension: started Feb 2015. Doctor diagnosed IBS, but no testing.

Constipation: started may 2015 (I went from regular BM's everyday, so sometimes every 2nd or 3rd day, and they would be hard to pass and small)

July-Aug (approx) 2015: had been noticing mucus, and it had become a rusty colour. Fecal occult test came back negative (thoughonly one sample was tested, not 2 as I have since read is normal)

Constipation was pretty consistent throughout this period.

In Jan 2016, I had a stool test for inflammatory bowel diseases. Came back negative.

At some point around here I noticed that my stool seemed to leech an orangey/red colour into the toilet water.

I did not go back to the docs because I had 2 negative tests and didn't think the docs would take me seriously.

By this point constipation was on and off.

March 2016: stool becomes more normal, though still getting the leeching from stool

April-may 2016: start going to the toilet for BM's 2-3 times a day, sometimes they would come urgently and be accompanied cramping or squirming feeling.

In the past 24 hours I have passed some maroon/pinkish/brown mixed stools (there have been multiple because of some severe anxiety has upset my stomach), one the first was a normal consistentcy ( and several hours earlier I had a quick sharp pain in my abdomen) then the anxiety set in the the rest have been a bit loose.

I went to the doctors and have a referral for a colonoscopy, i dont know how long I will have to wait, but I was told not to expect it to be in the next 2 weeks.

Also got a blood test for liver function (I have had a yellow face and hands for months now, though I had thought it was due to thyroid problems), kidneys and full blood panel (to check for anaemia)

Doctor didn't seem massively concerned, only labeled my referral as 'semi-urgent'.

I'm guessing it's my age.

But my symptoms seem to be getting worse, I mean the blood.

-sometimes I do get gas pains, occasionally cramps.

I have EXTREME anxiety about this. I am not sure how I will last potentially 4+ weeks for the colonoscopy.

I have spent a lot of time on Google. I know it's not a good idea because it's never good news on Google.

Anyway, I was just looking for advice on how to deal with the wait.

Any reassurance?

In my mind it can't be anything but cancer. It's only been 24 hours since the crazy panic started but it's already taking a great tole on me.

Any help?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Stop googling for a start. Googling make it worse. You have had a lot of tests and if your doctor thinks you can wait the 4 weeks you should trust him. I' m not a doctor but it could be 100 other things. Just try I know it's hate and relax. I have anxiety and I know things can seem worse. Good luck and keep us posted.
    • Posted

I will try to relax. But I have read a lot online and everything points to colon cancer and I don't know what else it could be!
  • Posted

Absolutely what rosedee said- stop Googling. Whilst it may be a mine of information for a lot of things, not so much here!. To be honest, at 24, you would be at the very outside edge of liklihood for cancer. Not impossible, just highly unlikely.  Also, in a way, having it in your head that it is cancer can be a good thing- you are expecting the news if it is, and anything else will be a relief. The next few weeks-and it can take up to 6 weeks to get a colonoscopy-you will get stressed. I can only say that all you can do is whatever works for you- read/music/hobbies and  learn meditation/relaxation techniques.( You can Google those!) There are many, many things it can be, and believe me, it's the 'c' word thats the problem, not cancer itself. Many, many cancers are a lot more easily treated than you would suppose. I had bowel cancer diagnosed in 2015, it was quite large, had to have radiochemo, then chemo to shrink it. It wasn't removed till 18 months after orriginal diagnosis, so a few weeks wait won't hurt here.  Mine was major surgery because it was attached to my tailbone, a rather rare occurence, but even so, all of it was removed, and I had my first clear scan in Feb. I won't say stop worrying, because that won't help. Just get yourself in the mindset that whatever it is , It's beaten, it just doesn't know it yet. Positive thinking helps. A lot.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, my age is the only shred of positivity I have at the moment. I feel like everything is stacked against me.

I have every single symptom I've read about.

And as I mentioned, I have had a yellow face and hands for several months now. I thought it was related to my thyroid condition but now I am thinking it's janudice. My eyes are normal but the inside of my mouth/inside of cheeks have a yellow tinge.

I am concerned that it's jaundice and my liver has become involved ie. the possible cancer has spread.

I will be getting my anaemia and liver function blood test results in the next couple of days. I have absolutely everything crossed hoping that they come back completely normal.

I have a diagnosed anxiety disorder so even small things can really affect me, I'm not sure how I will get through to my colonoscopy in one piece.

But thank you for your help. It's nice to hear from people.

Wishing you all the best for the future.

• Posted

As it happens, when I got sent for my colonoscopy, it was because I passed one single, but heavy, batch of blood clots. Thats it. No other symptoms at all. Yet after my first scan, it was clear my cancer had grown very large, so I'd had it for a while.
    • Posted

I guess that's the thing with reading about colon cancer on Google, there is a list of specific symptoms, but everyone is different.

I got my blood test results back. Liver, kidneys and blood panel all normal. No anaemia, no jaundice.

I was pleased with that until I read that anaemia was only a symptom of cancer in the ascendant colon, and all my symptoms match up with cancer in the descending colon, so I suppose the negative blood test results don't actually offer any reassurance.

I've also got a mass/lump/something on the left hand side of my abdomen. It starts near the top of my pelvis/hip bone and goes down at a 45° angle. I can only feel about 1 inch of it, but I loose it when it gets closer to the centre of my abdomen. It's a thin mass, about the width of a finger. I first felt it a few months ago. I'm quite a slim person so I guess I could be feeling my bowel but I really have no idea what it is.

Anyway, I'm becoming very aware of sensations/ discomfort around that area of my body.

Hopefully I find out soon when my colonoscopy is.

• Posted

Hi I wonder if you could add some advice for me please.

im a 59 yo female with 30 years of IBS 

last weekend I had a severe (vaso vagal) type collapse with severe diarrhoea ladting about 3 hours with the last 2 being v bloody.  I was taken to A & E but discharged to the GP.  I have now been referred to a bowel cancer consultant on Tuesday as an emergency.  I've had a few of these episodes over the years but not with the blood.  I've also had a clear colonoscopy 2 years ago.  Prior to this episode my bms have been normal. I've not had any loss of weight and my bloods were normal.  My GP said even though I had a clear colonoscopy bowel cancer can grow within 2 years.  I have done a lot of research and most sites say it takes 5-10 years for polyps to turn into cancer.

im trying to avoid the panic but any advice gratefully received.  I would also add that I do suffer from a health anxiety which was improving until last week and I'm alway catastrophising about worst case scenario.  

Kind regards 

• Posted

Sorry to hear what you are going through. I'm not a doctor but my gastroenterologist and other doctors have told me that polyps do take 5-10 that is why they recommend you do a colonoscopy every 2 - 3 years if you have a family history. I had a polyp my last colonoscopy and that was what he told me. IBS can cause blood in your stool because of the constant going and wiping. Wait and see what the doctor says . I know it's hard not to . I too have health anxiety and everything seems worse. But you have to remember if you had a colonoscopy 2 years ago and everything was fine. Your bloods are fine. if it is cancer it would be early stages I'm not saying it is but it would be early stages and they will fix it. But don't google or over think it. Keep us in touch thinking of you x

• Posted

Hi if anyone can please help?? So my husband is going in for a colonoscopy I believe it is cuz he already had an Anoscopy and they said it looked normal and that his bleeding might be coming from further in. He has had labs they are all normal I'm very worried it can be cancer polyps or cancer in general he's only 28 and so far healthy and feels good. He bleeds 2 weeks at times he says where the toilet has blood at times apart from the stool. He has no pain anywhere or anemia. Hope someone could ease my mind cuz he won't be going into his procedure the end of next monthsad

• Posted

Hi just wondering how it going have you any news yet I'm 33 and have the same things going on

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.