24 - Blood In Urine - One-Off - No Pain When Urinating - Worried

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm 24, non-smoker. 5 weeks ago I went to the toilet after a night out and had blood in my urine. The blood got progressively less visible over the course of the day and it only lasted 24 hours. Towards the end, there were very tiny dot clots which were still fresh and could be smudged. They were like specks, very small.

My dad was diagnosed with bladder cancer at 48 and my sister has polycystic kidney disease. I've no medical issues that i'm aware of but I don't drink enough water. I'm basically panicking that it could be cancer. I had no pain when passing urine but I felt quite nauseous the night before it happened and i've had small bouts of pain in each of my sides since it happened. I can't even really say it's pain, more like a small niggle in each side that lasts about a minute. However, last week I woke up and had a sharp stabbing pain across my entire abdominal area which lasted around 30 mins. The pain hurt even more when I took a few deep breaths to puff out my stomach. I haven't experienced anything like it before.

Could it be kidney stones that haven't passed or were so small that I had no pain? I've no other systems and to the best of my knowledge i haven't seen any stone, however 2 months prior I did have some burning sensation when urinating for 5 days but no blood that time. Looking for similar cases/opinions. No blood since that one episode. I have been referred by my GP for a cystoscopy but I am crapping it incase its sinister. Thanks. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I've also had several urine tests in that time, one tested positive for blood at the time I had it. The others all came back normal and I assume they would have checked for cancerous cells. 
  • Posted

Hi there 

well its good your getting checked soon..

blood and burning sensation can also be cystitis or a simple urine infection.

you must try and drink adequate water in the day, flush out kidneys and keep things in order.. You dont have to drink gallons, even a couple of mugs of water is helpful.

I understand you thinking the worse .. But you really must not..

it could be something simple ..

when your urine was checked, did they rule out a urine infection ( UTI) or just not even mention it..

blood in urine is often an infection .. 

jay xx 

• Posted

I was checked and as I stated it came back clear. They also specifically said at the time the sample WITH blood was checked that there was no infection. I walk a lot, on average around 6-7 miles a day on top of my daily activities. I was told exercise can sometimes cause it but this is obviously not strenuous, I may just be making excuses for it. The burning sensation was a couple of months prior to blood. 
  • Posted

Hi sorry 

i didnt see you second post .. I was just replying to the first one ..

you say after a night out it started ..  Were you drinking alcohol that night ..

could that have triggered it .. Maybe .. 

only a thought ..

Stones may also cause abdominal discomfort at times ..

hopefully its just a blip and all will be good for you ..

its not heavy bleeding, or constant so try not to worry.

good luck 

jay

• Posted

Useful info ..

Common causes of blood in the urine

These include:

cystitis (a bladder infection), which typically causes a burning pain when you urinate.

a kidney infection – you may also have a high temperature (38ºC or above) and pain in the side of your tummy

kidney stones, which may be painless but can sometimes block one of the tubes coming from your kidneys and cause severe tummy pain

inflammation of the urethra, the tube that carries urine out of the body – this is known as urethritis, and is often caused by the sexually transmitted infection chlamydia 

• Posted

I was drinking alcohol but it wasn't a particularly heavy night. I went through a week or so of being less hydrated than I normally am which is why I thought stones hence blood. Thanks for the advice, does it sound like it could be more sinister? 
  • Posted

Hi there. I know it's been a while but did you ever get this figured out. My wife is having the exact same symptoms.

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.